Author Topic: Grover Huffman "SCdot" Speaker Cable Group Buy  (Read 26962 times)

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: Grover Huffman "SCdot" Speaker Cable Group Buy
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2009, 01:31:12 PM »
Carlman,it would be interesting to see your impressions of a comparison between the Reality cables and the Grovers within the context of your system. If your do this please post your impressions.
Scotty

Offline mboldda1

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2009, 01:45:53 PM »
carlman, are you going to take your straleys with you to the gtg?
if so please give details of the comparison as i own straleys now am thinking about the grovers.
i purchased some elf super helix gold speaker cables and they are nice sounding but i got the 18ga. version and before i spend money to exchange them for the 16ga. version would like to know about the grovers.
Freelance Reviewer For StereoMojo  System: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1162599347

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2009, 03:45:05 PM »
I gave the speaker cables to Mike today, also 2 pairs of the latest ICs. I'm looking forward to seeing the gang, and hearing the Grovers and Mike's system.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 03:58:15 PM »
I am taking my Reality's to Mike's but.... Comparing them on an unfamiliar system/room/setup will make it tough to be definitive about it... or whether I even like them more or less.

I do plan on doing some nice comparo's in my room once I have the acoustic panels finished.

When I'm finished, I will have done everything that I know possible to be able to do comparisons and feel comfortable stating that a certain item made a difference and in what way.  I'm guessing June will be the time to have our first G2G.. and I want to have some power-hungry amps here... :)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2009, 04:46:00 PM »
Yup, I got the cables from Rich but won't actually be able to do anything with them until Saturday since I'll need to move all my components to put them within 8' reach of the speakers.  But I am burning in a couple pair of Grover's SCdot ICs of my own. 

Looking forward to Saturday!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
I want to have some power-hungry amps here... :)

Then I will bring the Altmann BYOB. ;)

Offline Rob S.

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2009, 08:10:07 PM »
someone here please email or PM me with the results from the GTG.  Have cash for SC's, just need some impressions before I spend $500 on wire.   Thanks,

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 07:05:01 PM »
I'm sitting on the sideline on this. I'd like to pull the trigger if we can get enough parties to participate re: best price.

So, I'm a "maybe". If there are more "maybe"s out there with a similar thought process who have not chimed in, it'd be a help to at least me to know how many others are waiting to see if the group buy will reach the lowest price tipping point.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

shep

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2009, 12:05:31 AM »
The way cables will interact with a system is pretty unpredictable and personally I would underscore this heavily before giving a recommendation or even an opinion but if there is a consensus; if several have the same experience in totally differerent acoustic environnements, then I am usually swayed and can take a plunge. In these times of penury it's true that plunking down X dollars for this stuff begins to become less of a "what the hell" option and requires more thought. What is great about Grover is his willingness to let us have upgrades for a nominal cost. I am once again counting the hours or days waiting for the Male Box to disgorge it's contents (I know... :duh)

Bigfish8

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2009, 05:31:48 AM »
Like some of the previous posters I am also sitting on the sidelines and looking forward to visiting Mike's tomorrow for the SC shoot-out.  I currently use HT Pro 9 bi-wire SCs and also own a pair of Straley Reality Cables.  Carl is bringing his Straley's and I will be bringing my HT's to the G2G tomorrow night for comparison to the JPS and Grovers.  If the Grovers outperform this pretty stiff competition I will (gulp) be laying down the cash for a pair.

Ken

Offline stereofool

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2009, 04:52:59 AM »
Rich,

I'll start...put me down for an 8ft single pair...so far. When I get time I might add others (???).

Rich,

I'm putting myself on the sideline, for now...sorry!

I already have some JPS's, and now I know that they are going to be mighty tough to beat. If Grover can make the same degree of improvement to his SC's, as he has his IC's, then I would be interested in a future iteration.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2009, 05:23:12 AM »
OK

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2009, 06:03:53 AM »
Grover wants to hear the speaker wires himself, inspect and make sure they are working properly. Then we will listen to them again at a G2G at my house in May. I offered to send my JPS wires to Grover in the fun spirit of sharing the hobby with friends so he can better understand the criticism from the G2G.

I will extend the Group Buy date to fit in another g2g.

I deliberately did not listen critically until the G2G so that I could share the fun of discovery with the others. Grover is a super guy and is very interested in correcting the problem and trying again. rmacklin is a very happy user of Grover's speaker wires, and we all know he is a straight shooter. The Grover S wires bested many other popular brands at the last speaker wire shootout, so I am excited to hear that level of performance again from Grover. More to come.
Rich
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 02:59:48 PM by richidoo »

Offline stereofool

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2009, 07:08:43 AM »
I'll keep an open mind to possibilities  :-P.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »
I wasn't aware wires could be defective but hope he finds the problem and fixes it... and explains what caused the issue.
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.