Author Topic: Grover Huffman "SCdot" Speaker Cable Group Buy  (Read 26874 times)

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Re: Grover Huffman "SCdot" Speaker Cable Group Buy
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 01:14:50 PM »
I'm likely in for a biwire pair but can only do so if we reach the 30% since I'll need a long length.  (hey, don't you think that an 18' biwire pair ought to count the same as three 6' biwire pairs?   :rofl:

grover

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 02:08:49 PM »
Some questions for Grover:

Please explain the differences in construction and performance of single wire vs Bi wire.
For whom do you recommend Bi wire, and for whom is single wire the best choice?
Are the conductors still all silver, or other metals now too?
Are the standard connection leads round wire, or flat ribbon?
Is the carbon nickel shield used in the speaker cable design also?

Hi Guys, single Speaker cable is a cable pair (positive and negative) to each speaker, the Bi-wire speaker cable is 2 cable pairs (2 positive and 2 negative) to each speaker. The mid high dedicated cable of the Bi-wire is specially designed to maximize the midrange frequencies.
             The conductors are a very carefully designed blend of fine Copper and Silver ribbons of various gauges.
             The terminations are heavy silver plated copper connectors. The wire termination is round wire.
             All my cables incorporate my unique carbon nickel shield, it dramatically improves performance.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 03:58:54 PM »
Grover, the package arrived safely on Friday. They look beautiful. They have new cable smell...  8)    I got them playing right away, I have about 15 hours on them so far. I'm not listening yet, but yes, they do sound like wires.  :D

Now we need to organize a g2g. The wires will have 100+ hours by next weekend so we could do it as early as then. Mike, are you up for hosting? Or I could do it - or both?   Thanks

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2009, 05:31:46 PM »
OK, I could do a G2G on Saturday April 18th which is before the deadline on the Grover group buy.   Would that work?   I will have to figure out how to make the 10' cables work but that's doable I think. 

P.S... Final Four weekend starts next Saturday.   Listening to audio vs watching the Heels?  Sorry, bball wins hands down.

Rich, let me know if the 18th works and I'll post to the G2G forum.

Can't wait to check out Grover's speaker cables!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 05:36:07 PM by mdconnelly »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2009, 08:22:18 PM »
We could always have 2 G2G's.. I'm going to finagle a way to hear them at Rich's sooner rather than later...
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 09:28:01 AM »
" shep I will pencil you in, then erase it, but leave a trace behind for forensics." Thanks, just as long as it doesn't screw up the count! I will be sending Grover some boodle very soon for the I.C. upgrade but that probably doesn't count as anything towards a group buy. I really wan't those new spkr cales but don't think I'm going to be able to swing it. The credit crunch is more like a steam-roller over here. I'm glad to just be able to pay the rent and eat. This "hobby" is a serious self-indulgence! The other think that tweaks my interest, but this is really off-topic, is the thought that I could benfit from a much better power cable. I bought a decent one off someone in Germany (e-bay) but I don't know if it is really anygood. Something else to worry about...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 10:44:56 AM »
I have kids on weekends so evenings are the only time I can get away. But I am available on 18th evening. I would get there at 7:30 pm but I can get the wires to you ahead of time.

The wires are 8 footers. They are biwires, but not sheathed together like the standard version.  Grover made them that way so that we can also sample the single wire type by itself.  Banana compatible posts are required on the amp to enable the separate conductors for this special demo pair. Normal biwires would have only two conductors at one end, and four at the other, sheathed together for neatness.

I can also host on April 4, 4pm or April 11th, 4pm.

No problem shep, you're making the right decision. Keep your powder dry!

Gilles

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 08:18:44 AM »
I'm in for 1 Single set of 8 feet I'm from Canada and will pay with a M.O. in USD...
Thanks Grover!
Gilles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 08:53:16 AM »
I'm in for 1 Single set of 8 feet I'm from Canada and will pay with a M.O. in USD...
Thanks Grover!
Gilles

Welcome to AN Gilles!
PM sent with mailing address for your MO.

Gilles

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2009, 01:52:37 PM »
Thank you,
Gilles

shep

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 11:08:15 PM »
I sent off my older SC's yesterday. Fingers crossed.

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 06:02:27 PM »
These Grover SC's got me wondering how much better can they be compared to my JPS Super Conductor+ SC's. If I did not like the JPS so much and had not just bought them a few months ago, from Shane, I would be in for Grover SC. But I really like the JPS cables. So,this time I will wait for the group buy on Grover's IC's.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2009, 11:00:44 AM »
Could some owner here tell me what they like about these cables?  HOw do they compare to other similar priced SC's?   I usually don't put much money in cables and want to avoid adding another part of the audio system to "obsess" over.   Too many other things. :)    However,  30% off gets my attention.

Here's what I have now:  http://www.audiocircle.com/systems/index.php?systemid=810   Any chance cables would be a noticable improvement at this point in my audio journey?

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

shep

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »
Mine are on their way! If you are happy with your system (which looks good by the way) then don't change anything! I suspect better speaker cables would be a good idea but then I'm a certified audio neurotic so don't pay any attention. Seriously though, even though I haven't heard them, for the price (of the group buy) you can hardly go wrong and I think you might be surprised...Assuming you give them some serious break-in time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:26:10 AM by shep »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
I've only lived long term with the IC's.. up through the next-to-last version.  I am very satisfied with the way they sound.  They are indeed an excellent bargain in high end cabling.  I would wager they are a step up from the Analysis Plus cable, which is saying a lot since those aren't bad at all.

Now.. for speaker cables... I'm using Reality Cables because they blend well (synergize) with my particular setup.  They got their butts handed to them in the last 'shootout' with Grover speaker cables.  However when I got home, I still enjoyed the Reality's in my system and didn't wish for more.  I've also used Analysis Plus Oval 9's with good results.. but not stellar.  They were 'really nice' but didn't do anything magical for me.  I've compared many speaker cables.. and usually to a control piece of zip cord or whatever cheapo stuff I have lying around.. and the cheapo stuff is always definitively worse in every way.  I always want to be able to say zip cord beat some expensive cable but I haven't had that be the case yet.

In any case... Since the days of my comparisons over a year ago, I've upgraded everything in my system but mainly the room itself.  Since I've moved to bigger speakers and am in the process of moving into the big room, I'm now very interested in hearing the Grovers again.. and soon... I'm going to Mike's G2G Saturday to put my ear on them.  Ironically, that's the same day I'm technically starting the big move to the big room so my system will be starting to come together rapidly.. and I'll only have acoustic panels as my final project to complete for sound perfection. :)

-C
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 01:26:51 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.