Author Topic: new/old  (Read 22504 times)

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
Re: new/old
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 03:47:41 PM »
I don't know what version I have,, bought em' here about 18 months ago,(group buy), they are black/graphite in color,,I'm up for a group buy,if trade in/ups are allowed.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 04:04:51 PM »
After that, Rich and I will draw straws to find out who gets the 'pleasure' of running this thing. ;)
Carl, don't you have a basement to finish?  :lol:  I'm volunteering to help coordinate this anyway I can.

Careful Mike, you might end up with a big spreadsheet in your inbox talking like that.... hahaha

Thanks!! I'm sure your offer will come in handy. A G2G would be a monumental treat.

Bigfish8

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 07:30:47 PM »
Ken,  Grover's new ICs are called 'SC.' (note period after SC).   Subtle difference in name but according to Grover not so subtle in sound.   I plan to get a couple pair and hope to host a G2G sometime in the next month or so.   Perhaps we can coordinate with Grover to take a peak at all his latest stuff.  I'm fairly certain he'll extend the group buy to all his products.

I hear you about the break-in... it leads to the dark side of this nervosa - but ya know ya just wanna do it  :drool:

Mike:

Thank you for clarifying that the new ICs are named (SC.).  I have sent Grover an e-mail! :duh  Upgrading seems to be an attractive and affordable option!

I look forward to your G2G and certainly hope that I will be able to attend. 

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 07:59:39 AM »
If there is any way I can avoid running this group buy, I'll take it.  ;) Yes, I do have a basement to finish. 

However, I want this GB to happen and I want it to be a success.  Rich and I have given Grover some food for thought and we're working out the details of the GB... There may be 1 for speaker cables and another for interconnects... we'll see. 

I'm not sure how the trade-in would work during the GB.  The buyer would need to ship the cables to Grover... If I were organizing the GB, I'd make the upgrade process completely separate and between Grover and his customers... Maybe offer AN members the upgrade at a reduced price but only during the GB here at AN.... something like that.

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

shep

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »
This sounds like the right way to run this. I will send mine directly to Gover as soon as he or someone sends me his mailing address. I may have found, as posted previously, a fairly painless way to shorten the ghastly break-in time; namely the cd I got form IsoTek. Remains to be tried as such. I will certainly hustle to try and get together mula for speaker cables (pending someone having tried them and given a green light) Now that Rich has told me mine ring...I'm a lost soul...I dare say Grover knows what he's doing, the price is fair and it is too tiresome to even begin looking elsewhere, especially as I have your golden ears (collective) to inform me. Such a blessing, these forums. What in the world did we do before? yeah I know, I was there, did it. I'm totally eager to get this new version of the interconnect. A 50$ surcharge is more than reasonable. But I will have to scrounge up an I.C. from somewhere to tide me over.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »
Grover has already offered an upgrade to IC owners from last GB, see Grover's first post in this thread. Peeples can work directly with Grover on that.

shep, if you don't hear any ring, then don't worry about it. If you listened to me you would be a nervous wreck in a week. My system was very different from yours - tube amp with huge 5 way speaks. I think bpape used to use the coppers and never mentioned ring. He has a great ear. The reason I didn't switch to Grover S speaker wires when I first auditioned them was because I still heard a slight touch of ring in them - not yet fully broken in - that was after I got used to dead silent wires. I think it might have been more of a function of the reactivity of my old speakers. They had severe phase in the bass. Grover offers a GB discount in exchange for all the buzz and gossip he expects to see on AN. So there will be a lot of opinions to read!

Offline SteveB

• Seeking Help
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 08:46:25 AM »
Rich can you explain what exactly you mean by ring in describing the cable's effects  in your system? I'm trying to understand what you are hearing and how it may or may not relate to my listen experience.
Thanks

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 09:16:07 AM »
Looking forward to the details.  I need a pair of longer interconnects - probably 2-2.5 meters.  Haven't had any of Grover's stuff yet but it sounds interesting. 

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

shep

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
I don't know what ringing sounds like but I suspect it shows up as a tendency to harden up at certain frequencies and transients. I have world-class sound ( :roll:) at lower volumes and with certain types of music. As soon as a singer really lets loose say, or horns, things go south. At first I though it was the amp (my "old" T am was woefully underpowered for my inefficient speakers, so I was getting clipping. Now the new ice amp has lots of power and headroom and I still have a similar effect, though a lot less. MAybe it's the damn solid core wire "ringing"? Anyway, yes, with a group buy I could probably swing a pair of terminated 8' speaker wires. If we get this at less than the 40$ a foot on-site price, it's a no brainer. I guess al will depend on how many go for it.  We are how many? 366...if even say 50 of us participate I'm sure Grover will give us a good price.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 01:01:13 PM »
Grover has agreed to the basic terms, so we're good to go. Look for it to start tomorrow or Sat. Speaker Cables only by Grover's request. A separate IC GB will follow shortly after.

As for ring, the way I perceive it is a resonance in the music that is most audible in mid - upper mid frequencies. It surrounds the notes with a brightness, or subtle buzzing, that sounds enough like the music to blend in. It is slightly metallic in nature on the Anticable (solid OFC.)  It is just like low level noise floor in an amp, except it is not random, it goes with the music. The only way I have ever been able to hear it is in comparison with non ringing wire, the only one I know is JPS. In comparison, the ringing is obvious. Like anything with audio, the ringing can be pretty or ugly in character. The Anticable ringing in my old system was of the ugly variety, sounded a little trashy and dark. But some cable mfgs use ringing deliberately (or successfully work it into their formula) to make a very pleasing, happy sounding cable. Harmonic Technologies is a good example. I had a tough time deciding between those and my JPS. The ringing sound in those is very subtle, and very beautiful, like a fine NOS tube. I would like to own those like a sports car in the 3rd garage. My family danced a lot that week. Thanks to stereofool for that educational loan. In the end I preferred quiet and peaceful presentation. Last month when I auditioned Aluminata with its half inch thick layer of aluminum surrounding the conductors, the effect of silense and peace was 3 times more, with also more music coming through, claruty, bigger bass, etc. Very heady feeling. We did not compare the HT to Grover S that fateful eve long ago, but we should do it this next time. 

shep, I think what you are describing is more of acoustic ringing in your room than electronic ringing. As the SPL goes up, the acoustic distortion of the room increases expontially, like most other non-linear distortions. Shouting opera divas really hurt on the peaks. You can improve it by diffusing mid frquency reflections (or absorbing them). You could try temporary hanging a thick comforter or blankets on walls and floor to see if it helps. If it does, then midrange reflections are part of the trouble. If it doesn't help, fold it all up and have a cookie.  The last couple days I have been experimenting with "Master Set" speaker placement ritual. I'll report when/if I can get it to work. I have given up in frustration twice already, mostly due to hunger, but I have some ideas how to make it easier. You can google it to learn more, a couple threads about it on AC and Agon forum. That might help you too shep, with or without the blankets.

Sorry for the tangent, back to new/old

shep

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 01:53:58 PM »
Thanks for the tangent! could be the room I guess. What you describe doesn't sound like coming from the wires but then you had vitually the same (except mine are Teflon insulated and not enameled like the Anticables.) yes back to the old/new. I understand Grover wanting to start with the speaker wire since a lot of us got the ic's last time around and can upgrade it for a moderate price. I found his address on his website.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
For convenience:

Grover Huffman Cables

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 03:02:04 PM »
As always, thanks to those who are organizing this group buy. The last one went quite smoothly, IMO. I look forward to seeing what Grover has to offer this weekend. Also, Grover's offer to upgrade to the SC. version is appreciated.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Bigfish8

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »
Guys:

I plan to upgrade to the new Grover SC. ICs and received an e-mail response from Grover today.  He confirmed an exchange price of $50.00 for 1 Meter ICs and $75.00 for 2 Meter ICs.  I am really happy with the SCs that I have but since I am a tube-o-phile trying to improve the sound of my system for $125.00 seems reasonable in comparison to the costs of NOS tubes.

Grover's address is:

Grover Huffman
P.O.  Box 4734
West Hills, CA. 91308

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »
As always, thanks to those who are organizing this group buy. The last one went quite smoothly, IMO. I look forward to seeing what Grover has to offer this weekend. Also, Grover's offer to upgrade to the SC. version is appreciated.

Hi David, nice to see you back on AN, I sent you a PM... 

Thanks Ken, Mr tubeophile. I will probably upgrade mine too. Very generous offer from Grover, considering the price of freshly minted.