Author Topic: new/old  (Read 22472 times)

shep

new/old
« on: March 17, 2009, 01:23:11 AM »
I was just wondering if there has been a further upgrade in Gover's ic cables since the group by. I haven't heard a peep since. Are you who have bought them still liking the or moved on to better things (as is our tendancy) I am not so sure anymore that they fit my system, but unless I hear something else that should be better, I can't know for sure. Your thoughts?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: new/old
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 06:04:40 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing.  My system's been in a state of limbo for over a year now.  In my current setup I'm still using the Grover's and of all the versions I like the most recent 'SC' model of IC.  (still not nuts about the nomenclature)

He seemed to be working hard to keep up with feedback and make improvements based on his customers' comments.  He was going to design a new site at one point also.  Did that happen?

In any case, his SC cables are still very good in a lot of ways.  The white/white a couple versions previous to that are some my favorite 'budget' cables.  I think they were around $100/pair.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:38:04 AM »
Grover's site is here... http://www.groverhuffman.com

He was waiting until he got the patent filed.   Site looks great and he's expanded into speaker and power cables as well.   I'm using his SC analog and digital ICs and very pleased with them. 

Has anyone had a chance to try his speaker cables?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 07:43:21 AM by mdconnelly »

grover

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 08:39:57 AM »
Hi Everyone, I've been very busy. I'm always amazed by the importance wire-cables make in sound. Yesterday I changed a 6-inch piece of wire in my preamp and was stunned by the improvement. I'm always searching for better incredible. I have changed the SC cables and the new design is stunning. I've labeled the new design (SC.) mostly because it’s similar overall but so much cleaner with more mid range presence, and refinement. My speaker cable has changed also with a different blend of copper and silver, and the addition of my carbon nickel shield. It's an amazing cable, and I guarantee it'll dramatically improve your musical enjoyment. I do not change the design much now, as the performance of my cables is IMHO so musically satisfying. I'll let any of you guy’s trade up to my new cable for $50 (1 meter pair RCA). I know you'll love the new Cables. I'm pleased you've seen my Website, if you have any suggestions about the site please let me know.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
Great question shep! You are still kingOP

Thanks for your reply Grover, it's nice to know you are still watching in!  The new website is simple and effective. Nice to have that. I recommend the cables once in a while and people wanna see a website with prices. Grover got his patent approved maybe a year ago.

I still use the graphite colored S RCA interconnects in my system. I have swapped in JPS Superconductor3 on a few occasions and it was not a  :shock:  difference like it was changing from Anticable copper IC, but it is slightly better than the S because it is quieter but not any clearer. S is unshielded, and Carl says the original SC is quieter than the S. I don't mean quieter noise, I mean quieter ring. I have tried Carl's first gen SC a couple times, but didn't sit down and compare to the S.

Grover wires hold their value very well, especially with the group buy prices we received last year. Grover would you be interested in doing another group buy? I might be up for it.  In the last GB the speaker cables were only a rumor and there were no power cables. I did audition a pair of Grover S biwire speaker cables. We had a large get together soon after they arrived, comparing about 8 different speaker wires on bigfish's SP Tech Timepieces. iirc, the $400 Grover wires placed 2nd to the $3000 JPS Superconductor3, and the Grovers only had about 40 easy hours on them. They were still changing at that point and didn't settle down until 50-75 hours. Great stuff. Clear tone and huge stage. The new SCs look completely different.

We have two members of AN who manufacture excellent power cables, so the comparisons would be inevitable. The other thing I gotta say is that people in NC can order new JPS cables from hometheaterdoc at very good prices which he is not allowed to advertise publicly, so that is also a great ongoing opportunity.
Rich

grover

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 09:39:30 AM »
 Rich always great to read your posts. I think the new IC’s’ll impress you, they're wonderful (IMHO). I've improved the speaker cable tremendously since you heard my S bi-wires. I suspect my speaker cables would now equal or better the $3000 JPS, it'd be a fun comparison. I'm open to any comparison fun, always inspires and keeps the creative juices flowing. I'm open to a group buy, I think you guys will be stunned by my new speaker cable. I'd love to have a PC group comparison. It's always fun with you guys.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 11:33:56 AM »
Cool, let's do it.
Grover, please send Rich and me a PM with what you'd like to cover in the group buy, prices, stipulations, etc.  Look over the details of the last group buy and just make your changes and send it to us.
After that, Rich and I will draw straws to find out who gets the 'pleasure' of running this thing. ;)
Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 01:20:59 PM »
I saw this thread this morning and alerted Grover so that he could choose to respond himself (rather than me “letting any cats out of the bag”).

I have had and used 10-foot Grover SC bi-wire speaker cables since early 2008.
See my comments at  http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1156.0
I sent those to Grover for upgrade in January and received new version Grover SC bi-wires
on February 10th of this year, so the new ones have been in use for 5 weeks or so. 
The new version bi-wires outperform the previous version in my system
(which changed somewhat in late December).

Main system change is a custom dual ZapFilter mod to my Denon 3930 player by Matt Anker of sacdmods.com.  (“DigiPete” over on Head-Fi sent his Denon 3930 to Matt for a single ZapFilter mod and within two weeks Matt purchased a stock machine to modify for his own personal use and it is still his reference digital player).
I had Matt install two separate ZapFilter analog output stages for the two-channel stereo circuit (which uses the two PCM 1792 current output DACs in parallel) and for the front left/right of the multi-channel circuit (as the stereo circuit can only output a “mix-down” of 5.1 material such as SACD/DVD-A).  I also had Matt add balanced output XLRs for each of the ZapFilters.
This mod improved the Denon 3930 sonics considerably. 
See    http://www.sacdmods.com/DVD3930.htm   for Matt’s comments on the sound of the singly modded player (with which I completely concur) and see the very last section
DVD-3930CI Dual ZapFilter Mod
for Matt’s description of my custom mod and pictures.

February 10th I also received two pairs new version Grover SC interconnects w/RCAs which had no “direction arrow” on the labels.  My guess is that these ones have a different mix of silver and copper ribbons, as mentioned by Grover today.
Last week Grover shipped me two pairs even newer version Grover SC interconnects which I have not received but expect any day.  I think these will be the Grover “SC.” (SC dot) which Grover mentioned today.  After listening tests and once things stabilize, I may send all earlier version Grover SC ICs for upgrade.

I received one original version Grover power cord last year, which came with standard grade Marinco/Wattgate connectors and I immediately sent it back to Grover and ordered some cryoed Oyaide -004 terminations shipped directly to Grover to remake that cord and another one.  Upon receiving the two upgraded Grover power cords, I used them in listening tests comparing with 2 Black Sand Violets Z1s with Oyaide -004s and 2 TelWire cords (which come with Oyaide -004s as standard) on my stock Denon 3930 and my Modwright SWL9.0 Signature tubed linestage.  I preferred the TelWires power cords on both components.  See post at    http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=39143.20"    

Grover saw my comments and said he had an improved version power cord and I sent him the originals to swap my Oyaide -004s onto the newer version power cords.  I received these on February 10 and from initial listening these sound closer to the TelWires than the original Grover version did.

I plan to perform a new round of detailed listening tests of the different power cords upon receipt and break-in of the latest Grover “SC.” interconnects.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:24:09 PM by rlmacklin »

shep

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2009, 09:22:49 AM »
Groan  :shock: I knew it! I knew I shouldn't ask. Now I've gone and done it. Ok so Grover if you send me your address again I will ship off my pair of spotless sc's for whatever is newer and better (HOPE!) along with some cash. (nobody heard me say that) Gotta do what a man's gotta do..ALSO I have been using single core OCC wire as speaker wire for a while now and I'm ready to move upward (unless there's a compelling reason not to) This is a financial stretch which I can't do (no matter how reasonable Grover's stuff is. Unless someone like me has been using solid core and finds from direct comparison that his/your speaker cables beat them hand's down. Then and only then. I hate this endless round of ungrading (no offense it's part of the nervosa game), but like the good little soldier I am.....I am helpless and seriously hungering for even more refined sound. So off we go....thank guys for picking up on this and carrying the ball. You are a gents.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2009, 10:17:07 AM »
I used anticable SCs in the beginning, solid OFCC. They ring like crazy. I was glad to get rid of them, but my replacements were $3000 list so no wonder they were better. Anticables were $80/pair for 8feet, OK for the money, less so for high power speakers, IMO.

Hey, if you postpone girlfriend season one extra month this summer then you can afford new SCs.  :lol:

shep

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:02:08 PM »
 :shock: what girlfriend? What session? Am I missing something? I never heard the solid core ring but maybe I don't know what that sounds like. They are very transparent, also short lenghts and off the floor with carboard seperators. MAybe this ringing is what I don't like??? Hmmm I guess I better save up for Grover's spkr cables.  :(

mgalusha

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 01:01:30 PM »
Hey, if you postpone girlfriend season one extra month this summer then you can afford new SCs.  :lol:

All these years and I didn't know there was a season... unless one counts the monthly schedule as a season.  :duh

I might have to see if I can scrape together some cash if a GB occurs, mebbe I can get a pair of IC's to try.

Bigfish8

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 01:59:30 PM »
Okay, If I am following this thread correctly the Grover SC cables I purchased from Grover last year have been replaced by a new and improved version which are named SC?  The upgrade in sound quality from the "S - Graphite" edition we purchased during last Group Buy to the SC edition that I now own was substantial.  I know that Grover has a great ear and if he says the new ones are better then I can see myself going down the upgrade path. :duh  Obviously, it will mean more money devoted to ICs but the worse part for me is going through another IC break-in period. :rofl:

If a group buy moves forward would you consider including the SCs? 

Thanks,

Ken

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 03:06:37 PM »
Ken,  Grover's new ICs are called 'SC.' (note period after SC).   Subtle difference in name but according to Grover not so subtle in sound.   I plan to get a couple pair and hope to host a G2G sometime in the next month or so.   Perhaps we can coordinate with Grover to take a peak at all his latest stuff.  I'm fairly certain he'll extend the group buy to all his products.

I hear you about the break-in... it leads to the dark side of this nervosa - but ya know ya just wanna do it  :drool:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 03:11:21 PM »
After that, Rich and I will draw straws to find out who gets the 'pleasure' of running this thing. ;)
Carl, don't you have a basement to finish?  :lol:  I'm volunteering to help coordinate this anyway I can.