Author Topic: Black Sand Cables Group Buy  (Read 89683 times)

dantheman

Black Sand Cables Group Buy
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2007, 10:06:20 PM »
That's great! I have posted this group buy on Audioasylum on Saturday, I hope it helped. Carl, I will let you know what connectors and length do I need by tomorrow, thank you for doing this for us!

Double Ugly

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2007, 10:20:25 PM »
Quote from: "Carlman"
Yes.... yes you will.... Better buy some extra purple techflex... lots of violet orders... ;)
That surprises me.  :shock:

I realize the Violet is half the price, but with John offering 35% off, I figured he'd spend the next 3 months doing nothing but building Silver Refs.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2007, 05:49:42 AM »
Me too, DU.  At 35% off, the Silver Ref is a no-brainer... there's just no downside.  But, I have heard there are some digital applications that have a known 'synergistic' match with the Violet so, I can understand its popularity.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2007, 12:58:42 PM »
OK, I've gotten some questions sent via email and thought it'd be helpful as you finalize your order:

1. Will there be more discounts over 35 cables?
2. Can special terminations be used, such as Oyaide's?

1. At this point, the group-buy exceeded John and I's wildest dreams.  The good news is that you get 35% off any cable you buy through March 9.  There is no bad news but there will not be any further discounting.

2. If you can order it here: http://www.blacksandcable.com/cords.html  it is part of the group buy.  So, no special terminations for this group buy.

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2007, 01:07:05 AM »
At this point, the group-buy exceeded John and I's wildest dreams.
Great !!!
Their excellent power cables.....and well worth owning....and at 35% off....nice !!!! \:D/

jjlinjj

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2007, 05:41:47 AM »
Carl, I sent you a couple of emails but haven't received a reply. Please let me know, thanks. And great job organising this Group Buy!

miklorsmith

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »
I know Carl's BUSY with actual life right now, I'm sure he'll be back to you soon.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2007, 09:15:42 AM »
Me too, DU. At 35% off, the Silver Ref is a no-brainer...

Even at that discount, I just can't will myself to spend 1k on three power cords. I maybe making a big mistake, but I am going to be going with the Violet cords at just about half the price. I figure they still have to be a huge step up from my $49 Absolute power cords.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Double Ugly

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2007, 09:41:55 AM »
Quote from: "mca"

Even at that discount, I just can't will myself to spend 1k on three power cords. I maybe making a big mistake, but I am going to be going with the Violet cords at just about half the price. I figure they still have to be a huge step up from my $49 Absolute power cords.
That's understandable.  I haven't heard the Violet, but I'm sure it's a great cable.  I can't bring myself to believe John builds anything *BUT* great cables.

And yeah, I suspect the upgrade will be easily noticeable.  Maybe so much so that you'll begin to wonder what it'd be like with Silver Refs in the system.  :wink:

Regards,

-Jim

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2007, 04:03:35 PM »
Quote from: "mca"

Sorry to break the news to you, but if you just heard the change from the Z1 to the Silver that just happened in my system today (even cold out of the boxes) that $1k would beg to fly out of your pocket.  They are THAT much better - absolutely glorious.  Can't imagine what they're like after a couple of weeks.  Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

lonewolfny42

« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM »
Tom...
They are THAT much better - absolutely glorious.
Details ? What sounds different ? Thanks Tom.... 8)

Chris

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2007, 05:36:03 AM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Tom...
They are THAT much better - absolutely glorious.
Details ? What sounds different ? Thanks Tom.... 8)

Chris
To be quite honest I'm having trouble getting all the words around it.  Unfortunately I have to leave on a trip for about 10 days, so won't get much time.  

Two things that have happened for sure though- The bass extension seems to go even deeper than before and there is a distinctness around each instrument in the bass that just is not there in the Z1 or the X-DC.  More significantly is I've always had some "edge" in the upper mids that I assumed was all of my associated gear (mostly the BEL's) and the Merlins just being ruthlessly revealing.  Now ALL of that edge is gone and it is totally smoothed out.  I used to wonder before each song whether I'd get Jekyll or Hyde in terms of listening pleasure.   Now it is sweet and liquid in a way that doesn't leave all the inner detail off the table too.  The music  flows much better from loud to soft and back to loud again where called for.  

Sorry, it's really kind of hard to explain (I'm obviously not a reviewer), but it's one of the few times for me other than changing speakers, where the sound has been truly transformed (not incrementally) in a big way (for the better).

Way to go John -  nice work!
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Double Ugly

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2007, 06:48:08 AM »
Quote from: "TomS"
Two things that have happened for sure though- The bass extension seems to go even deeper than before and there is a distinctness around each instrument in the bass that just is not there in the Z1 or the X-DC.  More significantly is I've always had some "edge" in the upper mids that I assumed was all of my associated gear (mostly the BEL's) and the Merlins just being ruthlessly revealing.  Now ALL of that edge is gone and it is totally smoothed out.  I used to wonder before each song whether I'd get Jekyll or Hyde in terms of listening pleasure.   Now it is sweet and liquid in a way that doesn't leave all the inner detail off the table too.  The music  flows much better from loud to soft and back to loud again where called for.  
I think you did a *great* job of describing them, Tom.  I had much of the same in my own system.

FWIW, here's what I posted about them a while back -
    * Black background (VERY quiet!)
        * Very fast, but not unnaturally so (i.e., nothing is truncated)
        * Supremely detailed without inducing fatigue (MUCH more articulate bass in my system)
        * Imparts little if any of its own sonic signature
        * Improved pitch, timbre, tonality and pace make for a more real presentation
Based on my experience with John's PCs, I'll bet dollars to donuts that anyone with a reasonably resolving system will come to many of the same conclusions.[/color]

Again, really well done, Tom.  :D

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2007, 09:13:16 AM »
You guys are not making this decision easy for me. Now what do I have around here that I can sell  :shock:
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Double Ugly

« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2007, 09:41:37 AM »
Sorry, Mike!  Just being honest!  :wink:

-Jim