Author Topic: Black Sand Cables Group Buy  (Read 88970 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Black Sand Cables Group Buy
« Reply #165 on: May 24, 2007, 06:56:28 PM »
Sounds like a great plan, LJ... spread the word!
I'll post more about the move when we get the specifics together.  
Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Mr_bill2

Re: Black Sand Cables Group Buy
« Reply #166 on: June 06, 2007, 05:06:30 AM »
Alright!  I'm in for another group buy...put me down for two Violets.

Will a violet power a high power amp (theta dreadnaught)...my guess is its not the best choice for that.  

Cheers!

Not so!  I've got V1s on my Classe CAM-350s and have no problem with constriction.  Bottom line for which cable to choose is....based more on "flavor" rather than juice limitations. 8)

bill2

Lethal Johnson

« Reply #167 on: June 06, 2007, 07:21:53 AM »
Thanks for your comments Bill2 - I may give it a try facilitated by the new group buy...

Just out of curiosity, can you describe the power requirements of your Classe's?   The reason I ask is the dreadnaught is a 5x500 config (so very high current)...Im just running it on an element cable right now (very similar to signal cables magic power cable) so if the V1 can handle the juice I'm guessing it'll be a sonic improvement.  BTW I really wanted to get classe mono blocks in a 5.1 configuration years ago, but didn't work out for me.

Also, can you describe the sonic signature of your V1s?  I understand in addition to the great resolution, they are more forward...can they ever be bright or perhaps highlight any edginess in the system?  I'm playing a game of chickin in my system currently, balancing very resolving electronics (the theta amp, an anthem d1, apollo CD player, and silver interconnects) against a "warmer" set of speakers and power conditioning (Krell resolutions, and shunyata hydra)...so far so good - but Ill be introducing multiple v1s. 

Thanks!

Mr_bill2

« Reply #168 on: June 06, 2007, 08:30:38 AM »
Thanks for your comments Bill2 - I may give it a try facilitated by the new group buy...

Just out of curiosity, can you describe the power requirements of your Classe's? 

Sure...
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20K Hz, + 0.1 dB
Output Power: 8 Ohm 350 watts
4 Ohm 700 watts
2 Ohm 1200 watts
Maximum Output swing: ± 40V

Also, can you describe the sonic signature of your V1s? 

Certainly...
I too had the same concerns before settling on which BS cable to go with.  But after a very helpful correspondence(see below) with John at BS, my choice was clear...

-----------------------------------------------------
Bill

As a former Classe owner (CA-301), I can tell you from past experience
that you want the Violet Z1. I loved what the Classe brought to the table
and wanted the cord to stay neutral and more or less get out of the way,
the Violet Z1 does that. The Silver Reference is a great cord and I would
love to take more of your money but it leans on the warm side. Depending on
your tastes that may work but I wanted to hear the Classe sound unaltered
and the Violet Z1 did the job very well.

Does that help?

Cheers,
John

--------------------------------------

I understand in addition to the great resolution, they are more forward...can they ever be bright or perhaps highlight any edginess in the system?

Can't answer that one with respects to your dreadnaught; but in my experience with the CAM350s there was not even a hint of brightness(I let them burn in for a week before a serious evaluation and thereafter I keep them on 24/7).  What I did get was lighting fast dynamics and a soundstage that was very expansive, while still keeping the characteristics of the Classe sound that I fell in love with(btw I sold off Wolcott 220 mono blocks - no slouches by any means - to go the the 350s, and I did not want a PC that was going to mess with what I liked so much).

So a conversation w/ BS(John) might be the best way to have your questions answered, in my case, the recommendation was for the "less expensive"(as I was ready to pay up for a Silver Ref) cable because it was the best for my system, btw...it was nice to realize not everyone in the audio business is on the "up-sell mode".  I have no doubt your experience w/ BS will be similar.  

And that's no BS!! ;)

Regards,
bill 

« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:41:03 AM by Mr_bill2 »

Lethal Johnson

« Reply #169 on: June 06, 2007, 11:25:04 AM »
Thanks for the thoughtful answer!