Author Topic: The decline of music explained. . .  (Read 4950 times)

Hantra

The decline of music explained. . .
« on: September 05, 2007, 07:06:56 PM »
This is a sweet video of a Zappa interview.  He gives a great explanation for why music SUCKS now for the most part. 

http://www.maniacworld.com/Zappa-explains-the-decline-of-music.html

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
Re: The decline of music explained. . .
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:24:40 AM »
I sure miss Frank.

While I agree with his accessment of the start of the decline of music, I think it has morphed into something more base.

It is true that corporate marketing execs are deciding what is released to the market place.  The reason this stops creativity and diversity dead is part of modern business practices. 

Businesses must appear to separate customers from their money in a predictable way.  Being predictable is the key to keeping up stock prices, bond ratings and executive salaries.  This is an easy business model.  It requires little real knowledge of or experience with the product.  It doesn't rely on insight, creativity or artistic sentiments.  It is simple to quantify.  The costs are easily understood, the risk is predictable and the margins are steady and controllable.  It is a simple approach and requires nothing more that aggressiveness and dictatorial greed for its leaders to prosper.  The corporation just plods along like a Jackass with blinders.

The creative and artistic business model is quite a bit more complicated and by definition less predictable.  Art is hard to quantify.  Acceptance of art is not easily understood.  Costs in a creative business generally fluctuate in waves as new products are discovered, developed and marketed.  The margins are less predictable as well.  Sometimes artistic products storm into the market place generating large, immediate profits.  Others times the acceptance is slow and the profits grow mundanely over many years.  Investors don’t like having to rely on “finding” the next big thing.  They shy away from this apparent risk.  They over emphasize the developmental costs and the unpredictability of cash flows.  They require profits to fit the standard S curve with near absolute predictability.  They may even realize that creative companies require exceptional leadership and our culture no longer produces many of these folks.  Hell, modern business school is focused on eliminating the creative leader from the board room.  Finally, investors don’t like the idea that the product may actually have more influence over the business cycle than the business managers.  They can’t allow control of the business to move away from their carefully cloned producers and into the realm of the artists.  What is missed is that the additional risk is very small compared to the profits reaped from finding the next platinum artist.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 07:55:23 AM »
yeah, what spudco said :)

When iPod gets 3G connetion and can purchase music instantly through paradox-like intelligent music service, the power to choose will be restored to the listener and good music will return, because there will be a market for it. Sellers will be glad to sell you any file, not just the ones from big three entertainment conglomerates. Right now there is not a serious commercial outlet for creative music which does not fit the corporate marketing formula. It is DIY and not every Jimi Hendrix wannabe can afford to produce and market his own CD, although even that option was not available 20 years ago. The internet has already caused a massive explosion in new creative music, but you still have to need it and find it yourself, unlike mass market music which is constantly shoved down your throat. Enough idiots will pay once they are brainwashed to like a style, so that marketing strategy has become SOP. Selling value is not profitable.

When there is a market and an artist can be compensated for practicing 12 hours a day, plenty of people will do it, and from that pool will emerge a few geniuses that will carry music forward. Ego and profit can take aback seat to inspiration and a true musician fulfilling his life's purpose. Geniuses of today choose to send their message of inspiration through more broadly accepted media than serious music.

The society must demand great music before it can come forth. Life is too easy now, there is no need for meaningful music to express deeper emotions that drew out the greats of the last century. It is the same now as it was in the 1920s, light and easy, not a care, and no need for heady inspiring music. After the Depression and WW2, there was plenty of suffering on people's minds and lots of demand for meaningful music, so it came forth. Pixar movies and kid rock give us all the culture we can handle right now. But life changes and the need for great music will return.
Rich

WEEZ

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 09:38:07 AM »
I also agree with spudco's take. But I would even be a bit less 'kind'. See, the "corporate marketing execs" really aren't marketing execs at all.... they're bean counters. Unfortunately, that is a fact in most any industry today. Yeah, they pay lip service to 'products' and 'markets'; but they really just want to make the 'numbers' look good at bonus time.

I also agree with Rich... basically, if there was more demand, there would be more supply.

You know, while I love sports (football in particular), have you ever noticed how much attention is paid to sports in schools compared to music education?

WEEZ

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 07:27:36 AM »
In short its all about THE MONEY. Period end of story. The Music IMO are clueless. They go after a market that can not afford the CD to begin with. Then they charge 18.98 for the thing.
      So then the youngins download the music for free. How can a 15 or 18 year old afford this. Jazz and Classical always sell. They don't tell you that. Its the Pop garbage they are trying to shove down our throats that dosn't sell. Snoop Dog anyone?
        If the price of a CD was say $10.00 I bet things would change dramatically. My 2 cents.

rollo 
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 09:16:34 AM »
I have just the opposite take.

If there was more supply of good music, recorded well, there would be more demand.  What's out there is half crap and 99% of it is so overly compressed to be 'loud' on the radio that there is no dynamic range left.  If you want decent recordings, its country, jazz, and classical - which all sell very well.  They're just not the million copies in a few weeks and repeat that the bean counters are looking for.

If you want good music recorded with some dynamic range left, look online for the independents.  That's the new way things are marketed.  The record companies don't spend time looking any more.  They just try to pick up what's hot. 

4 cents in the kitty.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 12:49:29 PM »
Demand; Supply;....Chicken; Egg;.... :?

Bryan, I agree with everything else you wrote. :D

WEEZ

Hantra

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 05:35:18 PM »
The society must demand great music before it can come forth.

So it's kind of like that old quote that has been attributed to Jefferson, Franklin, and a few French dudes:

"People get the government they deserve."

Only now it's:

"People get the music they deserve." 

As Walter E. Williams would say, the only problem with that, is that I get the music people deserve too.  Which sucks.   :rofl:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 07:04:51 PM »
I love it!! WEW is one of my heroes.

On the bright side, a true music lover can find what he needs. Lots of new music is really great, but it is far from the majority of the total of what's produced.

Hantra

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 07:09:40 PM »
I love it!! WEW is one of my heroes.

On the bright side, a true music lover can find what he needs. Lots of new music is really great, but it is far from the majority of the total of what's produced.

I have never read or listened to anyone else in my entire life that I can say I agree with 100% of the time, every time.  Dr. Williams is that guy. 

Back to music tho, I did pick up Arcade Fire's disc this week, and the more I listen, the more I like it.  It's very creative.  Sort of early Pixies, with an interesting soundscape that's more mature.