Author Topic: What's your preferred music genre?  (Read 7683 times)

WEEZ

What's your preferred music genre?
« on: June 03, 2007, 06:55:34 AM »
I grew up listening to jazz and classical (dad played records all the time).

The genre that gets the most play at my house is blues; jazz; and 'fusion'. It all started when I heard Paul Butterfield; Michael Bloomfield; Corky Siegal; et al. Chicago style :)

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 01:37:26 PM »
I grew up listening to bebop, almost to the exclusion of anything else. I got saturated and disillusioned when it all tanked in late 1980s when the masters started dying and the new cats breathed a sigh of relief. Free at last to torment the public with tonal relativism.

Now I like Russian classical symphonic composers, old hard bop recordings , old bebop bigband recordings, talk radio, rosie o'donnell on the view, and new jazz recordings - in that order  :wink: hehe

I guess I play a lot of Beethoven (Carl -> :roll: ) since my 4yo girl can sing 9th symphony without the record. Might be time for intervention soon.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 01:55:57 PM »
Jazz/Blues, 60's/70's 'protest rock', strange things (zappa, tubes, etc.)

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:28:23 PM »
I like a wide variety of music, Jazz , Hard Rock,Progressive Rock, anything acoustic based from Michael Hedges to the Dixie Chicks to the Man in Black. Frank Zappa was a Rare Genius as a composer and he was an amazing Guitar player as well. Tori Amos, Kate Bush and similar artists are also among my favorites.
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 02:52:29 PM »
forced to listen to country as a child-and it was totally legal :twisted:

at night when the pig farmers were sleeping i would turn on my little transistor radio and listen to w o l f  my cousin worked at the station so i would listen to her-she is the reason that devil music/rock and roll  is now in my soul :shock:

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 05:36:30 PM »
Great responses...

Rich, surely you don't listen to talk radio or Rosie on the stereo....or do you? :lol:

Even though 'fusion' blues/jazz gets the most play at my house...I like bigger bands; Maynard Furguson, especially. Hey, remember Bill Chase?

Hey Rosco...what about Hank Jr? A country boy CAN survive, you know..

:)

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »
Oh yeah - Bill Chase, Ferguson, Tower of Power, Ides of March, Passport - grew up on that stuff.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 06:35:56 PM »
strange things (zappa, tubes, etc.)

I've been on a Zappa kick lately, Joe's Garage, Over-nite Sensation and Apostrophe. Whacky stuff, but the guy was a genius.

Good sound quality too for the times.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline Rob Babcock

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 10:36:12 PM »
I don't exactly have a single favorite, it depends on my mood.  I might go a few weeks listening to almost nothing but alt rock & indie stuff, then a couple weeks of nothing but jazz.  Lately it's been almost entirely classical, especially opera.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 05:24:48 AM »
WEEZ, I do listen to Rush on the stereo, but I avoid Rosie whenever possible. Maybe I was a bit too harsh on the new jazzers. I do put on RadioioJazz internet station for background music, but it is an endurance contest, how long I can stand the same song/solo over and over.

You've mentioned Maynard before, but I didn't know you were a devotee. Do you have the LP "Trumpet Rhapsody?" It's a great one. Only ever saw the one copy that I bought, nobody seems to ever have heard of it. Want to hear it?

Rob, you are hard core with that opera. I try but not quite ready yet. It'll come.

WEEZ

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 08:16:47 AM »
Rich,

I've got 15 different Maynard recordings, but not that one (unless the tunes are on some of my others). Can you list a few of the tunes?...I can check....

Bryan, my all time favorite Bill Chase number was (is) "Bochawa" from the 'Pure Music' album. (i've got two copies of that lp...'cause, well, you never know.. :) )

Rob,

I know it's not 'Opera', but I really like to listen to Andrea Bocelli. The 'Romanza' album is killer; as is his duet "The Prayer" with Celine Dion. I tend to like Italian Opera...Paganini...

mca, an old friend of mine (who now lives in Minnesota) has the most complete Zappa collection that I know of. He worships the guy.

And I don't listen to Rosie at all. Even in mono. :lol:

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 11:02:39 AM »
Maynard's Trumpet Rhapsody Samples
:D

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 11:44:13 AM »
Hey thanks, Rich. I had (2) of the (7) cuts...one of them twice.

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: What's your preferred music genre?
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2007, 03:46:22 PM »
I'm with Rob...my mood determines what I'm capable of sitting down and listening to. About the only genres that I can't tolerate are rap (which I don't consider to be music) and a lot of the 'old-timey'/twangy country...otherwise I enjoy most other forms of music.

It's kinda sad to think...that as much as I like music...the only thing I can play is my stereo  ::)!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

AcidJazz

Re: What's your preferred music genre?
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
I prefer jazz and world (so called) music, and the fusion of the both. I like experimental music, so often the music I listen to defies a category.
THen there are times when my mood may call for classical or old school rock or the music I grew up with, funk.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 03:01:26 PM by AcidJazz »