Author Topic: SP technology speakers  (Read 43047 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
SP technology speakers
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2007, 09:42:32 AM »
So Jim, If you're moving on May 5th, I guess that means I shouldn't plan to stop in to hear your TPs for a while? :) haha Does anyone else in SE area have them?

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2007, 05:52:02 PM »
Quote from: "richidoo"
So Jim, If you're moving on May 5th, I guess that means I shouldn't plan to stop in to hear your TPs for a while? :) haha
Our closing date is May 25th, but the movers won't be here until Tuesday the 29th to pack.  Did I mis-post that somewhere?  

Does anyone else in SE area have them?
Not to my knowledge.

-Jim

Offline richidoo

SP technology speakers
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2007, 06:36:50 PM »
No, I was going on my bad memory for the date.
I was just kidding about coming down NOW, I wouldn't dare show up in your happy month of fun filled packing!! ;) Although I know the stereo will be playing the whole time!!
Have fun!
Rich

lonewolfny42

SP technology speakers
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »
Rich.....
Soon...in Raleigh, NC 27613....there will be a pair of SP Tech TP 2.1's....
Bigfish/Ken on AC has ordered a pair. Maybe he'll have a listening session. 8)

Offline richidoo

SP technology speakers
« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2007, 04:39:01 AM »
Great, thanks Chris!! I want to hear them!

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2007, 08:41:46 PM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
Rich.....
Soon...in Raleigh, NC 27613....there will be a pair of SP Tech TP 2.1's....
Bigfish/Ken on AC has ordered a pair. Maybe he'll have a listening session. 8)
Rich-

Maybe you can talk Ken into letting you borrow them one weekend.  I spoke w/ him for almost 2 hours an evening or two before he pulled the trigger, and he purchased Timepieces in the search for better 2-ch capability with his relatively modest HT set-up.  I don't recall specifics, but I wonder if he owns ancillary equipment sufficient to offer a true reflection of their potential.  

I'm not saying he doesn't, but if there's a true 'garbage in, garbage out' speaker, the Timepieces are it.  

Hey, I hope I'm wrong, but...  

-Jim

PS - I spent 4 long hours with an excellent home inspector today.  The next 24-48 hours will be interesting, but if I were a betting man, I'd seriously consider putting my retirement on my still being here (i.e., in my current abode) when you make the trip out west.  :(

Offline richidoo

SP technology speakers
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2007, 05:51:16 AM »
Thanks, I will get up with Ken.

About the ancillaries, hey I was there only 18 months ago, scheming about how I can get this sound I imagined within my Crutchfield budget, including speakers!  :shock:  I was a thousand over budget in my first go, and doubled the investment in the last year, but I am thrilled with the result and now hooked for life or at least until I can get a nice sailboat. ;)  The most important thing for a beginner is getting the speaker choice right the first time to avoid frustration of the wrong speaker which will turn him off to the hobby. Then everything else can be had to complement them. But there is always gonna be a 2-5 year lerning curve to get a feel for what you really want to hear and how to get there. The forums help a lot IMO.  He bought the Timepieces so he must be very committed to reaching a high goal, so no doubt he will find his way.  We all started out with receivers at one point right?

Maybe we can visit the new arrival and show him what choices are available in amps, cables, sources, etc. :twisted:  I'm sure you gave him some good advice too, Jim.

Just let me know where you end up. If you move, I know your TPs won't stay packed for long...  Kandy will see to that!! 8)

Rich

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2007, 08:04:22 AM »
We all started out with receivers at one point right?
I'd wager the vase majority of us started out that way.

I honestly meant no disrespect to him or his current system.  I simply question whether his current components will keep him happy for long.  We've all been there, especially early in the game.

I'm sure you gave him some good advice too, Jim.
Why would you assume that?  :wink:

Just let me know where you end up. If you move, I know your TPs won't stay packed for long...  Kandy will see to that!! 8)
The crazy part is that, during what will likely be a deal-breaking inspection,  I think I found an arrangement that would work for speakers.  :(

-Jim

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
SP technology speakers
« Reply #68 on: May 03, 2007, 05:26:54 PM »
Quote from: "Double Ugly"
The crazy part is that, during what will likely be a deal-breaking inspection,  I think I found an arrangement that would work for speakers.  :(

-Jim

Good friend at work had a $225k cash offer on his FSBO a couple of weeks ago to close end of May.  $10k lower than they wanted but they didn't really have it on the market yet and there were no realtor fees.  He's fanatical about maintenance, repairs, decorating, the whole deal.  The place was 18 years old and immaculate.   New roof, new kitchen, new gutters, reworked baths, etc.  Really nice, about 3500sqft.

The buyer dragged their feet on a couple things so the inspection was finally scheduled Monday.  Seller's scumbag inspector listed all manner of niggling little things that for the most part were easily fixed for $10-50 each just to be annoying, but that's par for the course.  The big hitter was supposedly PB plumbing.   Claimed the "vented fireplace log" was a "hazard" and the masonry chimney need to be torn off to the roof and rebuilt.  The "log" is actually ventless and the chimney has no active flues at all.  Oddly enough the "estimate" for repairs was a dead even $25k!!  What a dirtbag   He told them to take a hike and that was kind.   :evil:
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #69 on: May 03, 2007, 08:15:20 PM »
Quote from: "TomS"
Good friend at work had a $225k cash offer on his FSBO a couple of weeks ago to close end of May.  $10k lower than they wanted but they didn't really have it on the market yet and there were no realtor fees.  He's fanatical about maintenance, repairs, decorating, the whole deal.  The place was 18 years old and immaculate.   New roof, new kitchen, new gutters, reworked baths, etc.  Really nice, about 3500sqft.
Sounds great.  I'd *love* it if the same could be said of the place I'm considering.  Judging by the dust, dirt, filth and state of disrepair, it's almost as though no one has lived there the past 5 years.  :(

Oddly enough the "estimate" for repairs was a dead even $25k!!  What a dirtbag  

The inspector gave an estimate?  I don't recall seeing that before.

Or is that what the (former) prospective buyer claimed the repairs are worth?

He told them to take a hike and that was kind.   :evil:
Our "negotiations" will likely end in a similar fashion.  Unfortunately, I believe all that truly remains is determining who will tell whom to take a walk.  I'm not going to pay what I've offered considering what I saw during the inspection.  To wit -
    1.  On a mild spring morning, it took the 25-year old heating/cooling unit almost 3 hours to drop the temperature a grand total of 2 degrees (from 77 to 75 degrees).

2.  A *huge* deck in a serious state of disrepair,

3.  Water damaged soffits and fascia boards,

4.  Several pieces of the cedar siding is severely cracked/riddled with holes,

5.  Plumbing repairs made with duct tape (I kid you not :shock:).
I'm reticent to purchase a property so neglected, and the seller has a well-known reputation for nastiness and being difficult, so I can't see it ending well.  But as someone else said, if it's meant to be, it'll happen, and there's nothing I or anyone else can do about it.

-Jim

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
SP Tech Revelations
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2007, 03:38:49 PM »
Back on topic...

I finally got to hear the standard Mundorf version Revelations for several hours today at  the SP Tech shop.  They are indeed the real deal.  Very nice, even listening in a giant wood shop  :D

The Odyssey Stratos Extreme Mono SE's are just what the doctor ordered for them - tight bass and very smooth.  We discovered the BEL 1001's are definitely NOT the Rev's cup 'o tea.  Final setup with Bolder SB2 -> Burson -> Odysseys worked very well.  Now let's see, FOUR Mono SE's passive biamped with Ultimate crossovers would be really nice  :shock:

No surprise that Bob and Mike were gracious hosts for almost a full day of fun (at least for me).  Thanks to both.

More to come later when I have a little more time.

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2007, 06:18:01 PM »
Glad you got to hear them, Tom, even if it was in a wood shop.

Looking forward to your additional comments.

-Jim

Bigfish8

Timepiece 2.1's
« Reply #72 on: May 06, 2007, 05:23:17 PM »
Rich and Jim:

I responded to Rich in a PM on AudioCircle about the 2.1s.  They are due sometime late June.  Prior to ordering the speakers I ordered Odyssey Mono Extreme SEs (Klaus is suppose to teak them so they will be identical to his personal pair) and a Odyssey Candela Preamp.  Initially, I will use the IC's from Odyssey so I think when it comes together I should have a decent 2 channel system.

Frankly, I am still struggling greatly with the Squeezebox 3 decision - whether to have Wayne Mod it or purchase a decent DAC and run it through that.  Based on PMs I have received there are people strongly in both camps.  At this point the only thing I know for sure is that the Squeezebox will serve as my CDP in my system.  It is just too darn convenient versus changing-out CDs.

Klaus called from Russia today and left me a message that my amps will ship sometime in the coming week.  Although I will still have to use the Denon 3806 AVR as a pre until the Candela arrives it will be great to receive them and start the break-in.

Regards,

Ken

Offline richidoo

SP technology speakers
« Reply #73 on: May 06, 2007, 06:04:47 PM »
Hi Ken,
Welcome to AN. I look forward to seeing your posts.

That's great news about the amps shipping so soon!!!  You may be in business even sooner than your originally thought!

Try going direct from the SB into the amps until you get your Candella. Although it is not ideal for S/N, you may find it more transparent and satisfying experience than putting Mr. Denon in between, unless you need him for switching or something else.

Turning down the brightness setting on the SB will lower the noise a little too for direct to amps, but is moot point when you run SB at full volume with a preamp.
Seeya
Rich

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #74 on: May 06, 2007, 09:09:43 PM »
Good to see you here, Ken!  Welcome!

Congrats on the new amps; I suspect they will prove a very good match for the Timepieces.  As time goes on, you may even consider upgrading to the mid-grade or ultimate crossover, but spend some time with the 'standard' parts first.  I think you'll be more than a little impressed.  :D

As for the SB3, you know how I feel so I won't go bore you by rehashing what I said on the phone.  What I will say is that the majority of those I know who feel strongly about using an external DAC haven't heard a SB with Wayne's mods.  In fact, I can only think of one or two who've heard anything but a stock SB, in which case I'd use an external DAC, too.

Finally, I agree with Rich; I'd definitely try the SB direct to your amps for the clearest and cleanest sound.  It may or may not be to your liking with a stock SB, but it'll give you an inkling of the unit's true potential.

Best regards,

-Jim