Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3025806 times)

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #8145 on: December 06, 2014, 04:40:18 PM »

Terence ~ An Eye For An Ear
Because I am The Pumpkinking

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8146 on: December 07, 2014, 02:30:52 PM »
What am I listening to now? Not a blessed thing.  :(

I was listening to an LP and all of a sudden I got a loud ground buzz. I jumped up and hit the mute switch. Tightened all the ground connections and resumed listening. Things sounded OK for about two minutes until the woofer let go. The buzz was short , but I guess with all the power behind the Moscode amp it was enough to fry the woofer because I detected a sharp burning smell coming out of the speaker port.

Nola is only located about 15 minutes away from me, so hopefully they will have the driver in stock and I can pick it up during the week.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8147 on: December 07, 2014, 04:47:45 PM »

Well that just sucks sorry man

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8148 on: December 07, 2014, 07:41:39 PM »
Beethoven: Emperor Concerto - Van Cliburn/Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony

RCA Living STereo LP (Unfortuately mine is not a shaded dog pressing.  :cry: )

Follow up:

This album was nowhere near the quality of the "house sound" we have come to expect from the Living Stereo Series. It sounds very distant and closed in. At first I thought it might be the pressing since it was done on Oil Embargo vinyl But then I looked deeper into my library and discover that this piece was included in the first RCA Living Stereo CD Box (Disc 60) and listening to it on CD I hard the same kind of distant sound.I guess it just goes to show that while the living stereo series produced some outstanding records, not every piece of vinyl with a dog on it is a sonic gem.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8149 on: December 07, 2014, 07:54:55 PM »
I was talking to JimBones about my speaker predicament and he very astutely pointed out that it would be a good idea to hook up some kind of old speakers to the system before I fixed the Nolas and play it for a few hours to make sure that tightening the ground lugs fixed the problem and there is not some other kind of hardware fault that will re-injure the Nolas once I repare them. Good call Jim!  :thumb: In my funk about the failure I wasn't really thinking clearly about the going forward steps.

That's why I like it here, There is always somebody to watch your back

So I went out to the garage and dug out an old pair of Kenwood speakers that I bought in 1981 for $49 in the Macys Clearance center. If they blow out, who cares.

Well so far they have been playing for about 45 minutes with no problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things remain OK.

I went back and picked up right where I left off, playing the LP that was on the table when the Nolas blew:

Toscanini (Conducting the NBC Symphony Orchestra): Light Classical Favorites, Disc 2

Readers Digest LP

........... The Vinyl Vampire is back in the saddle (limping a bit, but back in the saddle none the less.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8150 on: December 07, 2014, 08:09:13 PM »
Arthur Fiedler's Favorites - The Ballet

Time-Life 4 LP Set

This is one of a series of LP sets pressed by RCA for Time Life. I picked up 15 of these at the Crack House for 69 cents a set.   :shock:

As these are RCA recordings pressed by RCA the SQ is quite good (even on those $49 speakers I am dealing with right now)  and as for the performances, it's the Boston Pops, what more do I need to say? Looking forward to listening to the rest of them, but as you might imagine, this is going to be a long term project.  Started with the Ballet set to keep my wife happy - I'm no fool.  8)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #8151 on: December 08, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
I was talking to JimBones about my speaker predicament and he very astutely pointed out that it would be a good idea to hook up some kind of old speakers to the system before I fixed the Nolas and play it for a few hours to make sure that tightening the ground lugs fixed the problem and there is not some other kind of hardware fault that will re-injure the Nolas once I repare them. Good call Jim!  :thumb: In my funk about the failure I wasn't really thinking clearly about the going forward steps.

We got your back Sparky!! :rofl:

That's why I like it here, There is always somebody to watch your back

So I went out to the garage and dug out an old pair of Kenwood speakers that I bought in 1981 for $49 in the Macys Clearance center. If they blow out, who cares.

Well so far they have been playing for about 45 minutes with no problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed that things remain OK.

I went back and picked up right where I left off, playing the LP that was on the table when the Nolas blew:

Toscanini (Conducting the NBC Symphony Orchestra): Light Classical Favorites, Disc 2

Readers Digest LP

........... The Vinyl Vampire is back in the saddle (limping a bit, but back in the saddle none the less.)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8152 on: December 08, 2014, 09:08:09 AM »
Made it through four album sides last night with no hums, so I am hoping that tightening the ground connections took care of the problem.

Called Nola this morning and they have the driver in stock and I hopefully be able to pick it up on Wed afternoon.

In the mean time I will continue to put as many hours as I can on the test speakers to make sure the hum does not pop up again.

Situations like this  go to highlight the benefit of taking an hour or so ever few months to do some preventative maintenance on your system like cleaning and tightening all of the cable connections. With everything that was going on over the past year in terms of moving and the wedding I go sloppy in that regard and ended getting burnt.

Like the guy in the old STP commercials used to say, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me latter."

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8153 on: December 08, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »

Jeff Beck ~ Who Else.......CD

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8154 on: December 08, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »

Keith Jarrett ~ Treasure Island

While talking to Jerome (jsaliga) this evening we ended up talking a little about Kerith Jarrett. This prompted me to play one of my K.Jarrett LP's.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8155 on: December 08, 2014, 07:15:47 PM »

While talking to Jerome (jsaliga) this evening we ended up talking a little about Kerith Jarrett. This prompted me to play one of my K.Jarrett LP's.

Holy cow Bill, what year is his from? Keith looks like he should be one of the Sweathogs from Welcome Back Kotter!  :rofl:

BTW, how is Jerome doing? I miss  all of the insights he brought to both our music and hardware discussions.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline pumpkinman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8156 on: December 09, 2014, 02:18:43 AM »

Holy cow Bill, what year is his from? Keith looks like he should be one of the Sweathogs from Welcome Back Kotter!  :rofl:

BTW, how is Jerome doing? I miss  all of the insights he brought to both our music and hardware discussions.

Hi Tom,
Up your nose with a rubber hose. The album was released in 1974 and Mr. Jarrett was 29. Jerome and I meet this summer for the 1st time when he stopped by my house on his way home after visiting his family in Maryland. He's doing great we talk on the phone about once a week.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8157 on: December 09, 2014, 07:14:43 AM »
Makes sense. Welcome Back Kotter hit the airwaves in 1975.

But I still can't help thinking that he looks like he as a Mr. Kotter Mustache and Juan Epstien's hair!

I just hope he doesn't sing like Horshack.  :shock:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8158 on: December 09, 2014, 08:59:43 AM »
I thought it was vintage Lionel Richie at first glance.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8159 on: December 09, 2014, 07:36:13 PM »
For a Rainy Day

Decca CD

Another one from the Decca For Your Life Classical compilations series.

Given the Nor'easter that dumped 2+ inches on us today I thought this one was only appropriate.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9