Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3025779 times)

jsaliga

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6600 on: February 27, 2012, 09:37:31 AM »

Minty vintage Mercury pressing.

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #6601 on: February 27, 2012, 10:35:42 AM »
Home today here's what's been spinning so far.

The Beatles ~ Hey Jude
Black Sabbath ~ Paranoid
Genesis ~ In The Begining
Soundtrack ~ Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush / Traffic and Spencer Davis Group

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6602 on: February 27, 2012, 06:14:46 PM »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6603 on: February 28, 2012, 05:40:47 AM »
Izz - The Darkened Room (CD)

- A marvelous album by some local NY prog rockers with a slight metal edge. Gread vocals (male and female) and plenty of chops. They have a few earlier albums out too, but this one stands out for me.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6604 on: February 28, 2012, 05:48:37 AM »
Izz - The Darkened Room (CD)

- A marvelous album by some local NY prog rockers with a slight metal edge. Gread vocals (male and female) and plenty of chops. They have a few earlier albums out too, but this one stands out for me.

Bob
You posted this 8:40AM on a Tuesday. Shouldn't you be " consulting" somewhere? :lol:
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6605 on: February 28, 2012, 07:09:22 AM »
This is what I listened to on my way to "consulting" this morning. :D/
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

jsaliga

« Reply #6606 on: February 28, 2012, 07:53:47 AM »

200g 45RPM Quality Records Pressing issued by Analogue Productions.  This is one of my favorite jazz recordings.  Sterling Sound did a fabulous job on the mastering and I don't think it has ever sounded better (though the Universal Japan 200g pressing is pretty close).  My only criticism is that I was very disappointed to see Analogue Productions revert back to the cheap, wafer thin jackets that they used on their Blue Note and Fantasy 45 series.  I thought Chad had gotten past that with the nice heavy gatefolds that were used on the Impulse 45 reissue series, but I guess old habits die hard.  While I would agree that the music and LPs are the most important part of the package, I think audiophiles deserve high quality gatefold jackets given the price of $50 per title.  If Music Matters can do it so can Chad.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6607 on: February 28, 2012, 08:06:29 AM »
Louis Smith: Smithville

Blue Note CD

This is the album tht Jerome sent around on the 45 RPM tour. I heard some of it at Triode Pete's and really liked it so when I saw a  CD of it pop up on Amazon for under $5 I jumped on it. [And after listening to it I think a vinyl copy just may be in my future. ;-) ]

From Amazon:

"It's amazing to me how many people who dig jazz don't know who Louis Smith is, because in my opinion, he should be been headlining opposite of Lee Morgan, Freddie Hubbard, and Donald Byrd. He has such an amazing technique. "Smithville," which thanks to Blue Note, finally sees the light of day. Smith is joined by Charlie Rouse (tenor sax) Sonny Clark (piano), Paul Chambers (bass), and Art Taylor (drums). This album swings so hard it'll make your head spin, but there are some nice ballads that slow things down too. Very enjoyable set. Highly recommended."

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0016CP394/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6608 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13:34 AM »

200g 45RPM Quality Records Pressing issued by Analogue Productions.  This is one of my favorite jazz recordings.  Sterling Sound did a fabulous job on the mastering and I don't think it has ever sounded better (though the Universal Japan 200g pressing is pretty close).  My only criticism is that I was very disappointed to see Analogue Productions revert back to the cheap, wafer thin jackets that they used on their Blue Note and Fantasy 45 series.  I thought Chad had gotten past that with the nice heavy gatefolds that were used on the Impulse 45 reissue series, but I guess old habits die hard.  While I would agree that the music and LPs are the most important part of the package, I think audiophiles deserve high quality gatefold jackets given the price of $50 per title.  If Music Matters can do it so can Chad.

--Jerome

So what exactly was it that you were listening to? You never mentioned the artist or album title, and not all of us are familiar with the album cover ;)

jsaliga

« Reply #6609 on: February 28, 2012, 08:22:08 AM »
I thought anyone who was interested in jazz would know Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong from a picture.  I only include links to samples on stuff that is not particularly well known.

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6610 on: February 28, 2012, 08:30:41 AM »
Lou Donaldson: Light Foot

Real Gone Jazz CD

From Amazon:
Lou's never been a light foot at any point in his career -- and even on this earlier, pre-funk session he blows with a heck of a lot of soul! The album's a killer from Lou's mid period stint at Blue Note -- a set that's informed by bop ideals, but which also explores ideas in a more relaxed, early soul jazz mode -- one that uses extra percussion from Ray Baretto to kick up the grooves with a nice little swing, and which also features some sublime piano lines from the great Herman Foster, making one of his few key Donaldson appearances here! Lou's alto work is sparkling throughout -- crackling with life, but never too full of itself -- and other players include Peck Morrison on bass and Jimmy Wormworth on drums. Titles include a few originals like "Hog Maw" and "Light Foot", plus standards like "Stella By Starlight" and "Green Eyes".

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B000AU1NPQ/ref=pd_krex_listen_dp_img?ie=UTF8&refTagSuffix=dp_img

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6611 on: February 28, 2012, 08:35:53 AM »

--Jerome

One of the albums at the top of my hit parade as well.  :thumb:

I'm sorry to hear about the cover. I have the first two LPs Chad issued from his new Quality Records plant (Tea for the Tillerman & Gentle Ben) and the covers on bnoth of them are first rate. I wonder what caused the change?

I agree that at the prices he is getting for these albums apremium quality jacket shouold be a given.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6612 on: February 28, 2012, 08:41:36 AM »
I thought anyone who was interested in jazz would know Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong from a picture.  I only include links to samples on stuff that is not particularly well known.

--Jerome

I always include the title and artist in the post, not because I think the cover won't tell the whole story, but rather because I have gotten burnt several times in the past where the link that I used for the cover art pulled down their post causing the graphic to disappear from mine.  In that case without a text reference to the title and artist my post becomes worthless.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6613 on: February 28, 2012, 09:01:50 AM »
I thought anyone who was interested in jazz would know Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong from a picture.  I only include links to samples on stuff that is not particularly well known.

--Jerome

I always include the title and artist in the post, not because I think the cover won't tell the whole story, but rather because I have gotten burnt several times in the past where the link that I used for the cover art pulled down their post causing the graphic to disappear from mine.  In that case without a text reference to the title and artist my post becomes worthless.

Jerome,
I'm not a Jazz Head, and not used to seeing them so young, but now that you've told me it's Ella and Satch, I do recognize them, but still wouldn't be familiar with the album or its title, so wouldn't be able to look into it.

Tom,
I generally use Amazon for my images as I don't think they're going anywhere for some time. On occasion I'll use AllMusic.com as a source. Aslo, every one of my posts contains a link back to Amazon (or AllMusic) so that additional information, opinions and/or samples can be found about the album.

Best, Barry
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:03:32 AM by Barry (NJ) »

jsaliga

« Reply #6614 on: February 28, 2012, 09:18:50 AM »
Just a few words on the way I post in this thread.  I don't know if anyone has noticed but I put original cover scans of just about every single album I post in this thread.  I do that to make it easier to identify the specific release.  For vintage vinyl in particular the stereo and mono covers are a little bit different.  Also, the cover art on a subsequent re-issue can be a little different from the original release.  So I put the jacket on my scanner and upload a JPEG to my website and link AN to it.  It is a lot of work.

As far as info I post about an album goes, I don't usually post the artist, album title, or link to samples and I don't plan to start.  If it is something obscure and not readily identifiable then I will.  If someone is truly interested in something I posted then they can ask me question like Barry did and I will provide an answer.  As for samples, reviews, etc.: you can do your own homework if the information I provided doesn't satisfy your curiosity.  I don't see myself changing the way I post.

It's sort of like me asking people not to quote images when replying to a post.  Most agree that it's a reasonable request but they still do it anyway.  ;)

--Jerome
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 09:45:00 AM by jsaliga »