Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3025857 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #5580 on: January 01, 2012, 07:12:50 AM »
The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Jazz Goes to College

Sony Music CD (EU Import)

That's one of my favorites Tom. Desmond's solo on "The Song Is You" is one of his best on record, imo.

Bill, the piano in Bradlees club on your last record there was Desmond's own 9 foot Baldwin that he practiced and composed with for most of his career. He donated it to the club before he died.   Bradlees was the ultimate networking joint for jazz musicians, headquarters for NY Jazz scene.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 07:18:04 AM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5581 on: January 01, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »

After listening to the whole thing I'm thinking damn, this album is awesome on so many levels.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 08:32:33 AM by richidoo »

eleazar

« Reply #5582 on: January 01, 2012, 08:07:46 AM »

That's one of my favorites Tom. Desmond's solo on "The Song Is You" is one of his best on record, imo.

Bill, the piano in Bradlees club on your last record there was Desmond's own 9 foot Baldwin that he practiced and composed with for most of his career. He donated it to the club before he died.   Bradlees was the ultimate networking joint for jazz musicians, headquarters for NY Jazz scene.

Rich and Tom I'll have to keep an eye out for"The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Jazz Goes to College" I have a few Brubeck but not that one.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5583 on: January 01, 2012, 08:22:41 AM »
That's a good one, but hard to find on vinyl, as it was out of print for a long time even before CDs came out. I have a copy that my uncle bought as a teenager when it first came out.

The Jazz at Oberlin and Jazz at College of Pacific sides are also worth grabbing if you love Desmond. These three contain his best playing, imo.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5584 on: January 01, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »

My grandfather's original Capital pressing, one of his favorite records.... beat to hell and back by my mother and siblings.  :rofl:  But great music and his voice penetrates through the noise. His voice is perfectly recorded, likely with a ribbon mic in the cavernous Capital studio A.  

edit: Jerome, you devil! You got me thinking about trying this on a 45...   :thumb:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/64373/Nat_King_Cole-Love_Is_The_Thing-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:06:04 AM by richidoo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5585 on: January 01, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
Here's one singer/songwriter that deserves a wider audience. Not because her voice is amazing, it is good though and she has a quirky way of playing off the downbeat that makes you want to listen. Not because her songs are amazing, though they are quirky and good and interesting and stick in your head. Not because her piano playing is earth shattering, although she plays with the pedal points and does a decent job overall.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #5586 on: January 01, 2012, 09:23:42 AM »
amazon.com/images/I/51koGrv4J1L._SS500_.jpg[/img]

My grandfather's original Capital pressing, one of his favorite records.... beat to hell and back by my mother and siblings.  :rofl:  But great music and his voice penetrates through the noise. His voice is perfectly recorded, likely with a ribbon mic in the cavernous Capital studio A.  

edit: Jerome, you devil! You got me thinking about trying this on a 45...   :thumb:
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/64373/Nat_King_Cole-Love_Is_The_Thing-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

On the Steve Hoffmann remastered 24K DCC CD, there's a hidden track at the end of the CD. Nat's head is so visually (sonically imaged) huge, it's hilarious; as big as the Wizard's projection on the curtain! Worth hearing!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5587 on: January 01, 2012, 09:28:29 AM »

Rich and Tom I'll have to keep an eye out for"The Dave Brubeck Quartet: Jazz Goes to College" I have a few Brubeck but not that one.

Bill I got this as part of a set called Perfect Jazz Collection 2. 25 British Import Jazz CDs for under $35 on Amazon. How can you beat that!   8)
(Thanks to Chris for the tip.  :thumb:)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q9SO0O/ref=oh_o03_s00_i00_details

Discs include:
Duke Ellington - Ellington Uptown
Dave Brubeck - Jazz Goes To College
Louis Armstrong - Satch Plays Fats
Miles Davis - Round About Midnight
Various Artists - The Sound Of Jazz
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Sonny Rollins - The Bridge
Paul Desmond - Desmond Blue
Thelonious Monk - Underground
Freddie Hubbard - Straight Life
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
Clifford Brown - The Beginning And The End
George Benson - Beyond The Blue Horizon
Wayne Shorter - Native Dancer
Gerry Mulligan & Chet Baker - Carnegie Hall
Chet Baker - She Was Too Good To Me
Jim Hall - Concierto
Stanley Clarke - School Days
Return To Forever - Romantic Warrior
Weather Report - 8:30
Dexter Gordon - Round Midnight
Carmen McRae - Carmen Sings Monk
Wynton Marsalis - Standard Times Vol.3
Nina Simone - Silk and Soul
Aretha Franklin - Unforgetable A Tribute To Dinah Washington

There is also a Volume 1, which I also ordered but has not arrived yet.  :(
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5588 on: January 01, 2012, 09:34:16 AM »
On the Steve Hoffmann remastered 24K DCC CD, there's a hidden track at the end of the CD. Nat's head is so visually (sonically imaged) huge, it's hilarious; as big as the Wizard's projection on the curtain! Worth hearing!

That's funny Pete.  My mono LP sounds huge enough already. No need to stretch it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5589 on: January 01, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »

A record I listened to a lot when I was 8, first getting into jazz. Fun music, but sounds great too.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5590 on: January 01, 2012, 10:26:02 AM »

B side of my wife's Prokofiev Peter and the Wolf that she's had since she was a young girl, so plenty of noise. But I noticed that it has Lt Kije on the B side, so I put it on. I love this piece when played well, and few recordings make the full potential of the music. No wonder Prokofiev was hung by his undies for selling out writing this movie score. This recording is nothing special, technically played well, but not emotional.

This is the best Kije I own, and I have a bunch of them. I've not yet listened to the Reiner version in the RCA Living Stereo box set I bought last year.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5591 on: January 01, 2012, 11:14:34 AM »
Remember Me, Vol. 1 is exactly what its title portends it to be - the first set in a series of brand new recordings from Willie Nelson, recorded with his long-time friend and acclaimed producer James Stroud.

Nelson hand-selected many of his very favorite Billboard country and folk hits from the last 70 years for these special sessions.

Willie Nelson - "Remember Me, Vol.1"

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5592 on: January 01, 2012, 11:21:12 AM »
Here's one singer/songwriter that deserves a wider audience. Not because her voice is amazing, it is good though and she has a quirky way of playing off the downbeat that makes you want to listen. Not because her songs are amazing, though they are quirky and good and interesting and stick in your head. Not because her piano playing is earth shattering, although she plays with the pedal points and does a decent job overall.

Thank-you Bob, Thank-you ALIS.  :thumb:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5593 on: January 01, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »

Music Matters 180g 45RPM Blue Note vinyl reissue.  This is my favorite Hank Mobley record on Blue Note.

--Jerome

Glad you posted this. I was in Infinity Records yesterday and they had a copy of the 150g Blue Note reissue of this album which I immediuately grabbed. I agree, this is a great album. I am sure the SQ of my copy is nowhere near as good as the 45 RPM pressing, but heck, it was 1/4 the price too.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5594 on: January 01, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
Pachelbel: Canon/Bach: Aria/Albinoni: Adagio and Others
Pachelbel (Composer), Albinoni (Composer), Vivaldi (Composer), Tartini (Composer), Zipoli (Composer), Haydn (Composer), Bach (Composer), Molter (Composer), Haendel (Composer), Jean-Francois Paillard (Conductor), Orchestre de Chambre Jean-Francois Paillard (Orchestra), Gerard Jarry (Artist), Claudio Scimone (Artist) | Format: Audio CD

Taking down decorations to some pleasant Chamber Music.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."