Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3025860 times)

lonewolfny42

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #4651 on: October 07, 2011, 10:12:29 PM »

"The Very Best of Prestige Records: Prestige 60th Anniversary" ....2Cds

Wow Chris, what a great looking bcollection , and at a great price on Amazon. I ordered mine.  :drool:

Thanks for the link, and the heads up.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4652 on: October 07, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
The Quincy Jones - Jimmy Nestico Orchestra: Basie and Beyond

CD

Musicall this is typical Quincy Jones and good big band music but boy is it loud. I had to turn my preamp down a full five clicks from where it was for the previous CD. And hardly any dynamic range. Just out of curiosity I fired up my cassette deck and checked the VU readings for this disc. The peaks seemed to brickwall at +5db (a variable setting that in and of itself has no meaning other than a benchmark for the highest peak), but the softer parts and the solos never came much below -1 db (and these were fast acting LED meters). So the total dynamic range was not much more than 6db. It was just all loud. Boy, the compressors were sure working overtime on this one.  #-o

I felt like the guy in the Maxell ad. :roll:

« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:43:26 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4653 on: October 07, 2011, 11:46:09 PM »

jsaliga

« Reply #4654 on: October 08, 2011, 09:57:47 AM »

Shortly after Charlie Parker died in 1955, Savoy Records issued most of its 1940s Parker catalog on vinyl.  This particular record collects 14 master takes that were laid down between 1944 and 1948.  There are some amazing bop tunes here, supported by a number of dazzling Parker solos.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4655 on: October 08, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »

I don't own many minty original Blue Note deep groove pressings such as this one, because of their scarcity and cost.  Collectors have all but put these records out of reach of jazz lovers without very deep pockets and the resolve to hunt them down and obtain them.  I have about a dozen, and I did not pay crazy silly money to get them.  Most were lucky finds that I bought at a down-to-earth price.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4656 on: October 08, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »

This minty original Royal Roost mono pressing of Stittsville is one of the finest jazz records in my library.  When you listen to this record it is easy to understand why Stitt was compared to Charlie Parker.  Some critics said that Stitt was too much like Parker, but I disagree.  Stitt, like most sax players of the day, was greatly influenced by Parker.  Stitt was an amazing talent in his own right.  Highly recommended.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4657 on: October 08, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »
That's the last Turrentine on my shopping list, how is it music-wise?
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4658 on: October 08, 2011, 12:54:13 PM »
The Procrastinator
Lee Morgan | Format: Vinyl
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #4659 on: October 08, 2011, 01:00:14 PM »
That's the last Turrentine on my shopping list, how is it music-wise?

It's quite good Gene.  A mix of hard bop, blues, and soul jazz arrangements.  The B3 takes a subordinate role to Turrentine's sax, which is exactly as it should be.  The only tune out of place here is One O'Clock Jump, and while this performance sounds good it doesn't really gell with the rest of the track list.  Besides, it really can't compete with the version made famous by Count Basie, which featured Buddy DeFranco on clarinete and Wardell Gray on tenor sax.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4660 on: October 08, 2011, 01:16:16 PM »

1957 Liberty Records stereo pressing.  My favorite Julie London record.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #4661 on: October 08, 2011, 04:48:47 PM »

This album is taken from two recording sessions in 1960.  The personnel are Cannonball Adderley, Nat Adderley, Bobby Timmons, Barry Harris, Sam Jones, and Louis Hayes.  Great album on a very nice mono Riverside pressing.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4662 on: October 08, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »

Jack McDuff - "Prestige Years"

jsaliga

« Reply #4663 on: October 08, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »

Vocalese is a form of jazz that you either love or hate.  I very much enjoy it, and was very happy to find this minty deep groove mono ABC-Paramount pressing a few weeks ago.  I have several Lambert, Hendricks & Ross LPs on Columbia and Impulse!.  There is one record that Annie Ross cut with King Pleasure on Prestige (King Pleasure Sings/Annie Ross Sings) that I am still trying to find on vintage vinyl...but it has gotten scarce so the search continues and the CD will have to do for now.

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #4664 on: October 08, 2011, 06:12:17 PM »
Les Paul ~ Gitarren Hits
German Decca