Author Topic: Networking question - Use of a network switch  (Read 8726 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Networking question - Use of a network switch
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
Hi gents. My understanding of computer networking is limited so I'm not exactly sure what I can do / not do with a network switch.

I'll start with a basic question and then it'll probably go from there. Sorry if I don't get all the terms right.

In my TV room, I have a DirecTV receiver, a PS3 and a Squeezebox Duet. I run wirelessly from my DSL modem to a Cisco WET610N Ethernet Bridge. This is wired into the DirecTV box which has 2 ethernet ports. The second ethernet port of the DirecTV box is wired to the PS3.  This all works well - the PS3 used to be almost unusable wirelessly, being unable to update its own or Netflix's software.

Now, I would like to run the Duet wired also but have no more ports from which to run a cable. The damn thing (analog outs) goes into what must be "Digital 1s" mode every few hours making me sprint to the volume control!!. I have now started sending the spdif out from the duet to an AV receiver in hopes that this won't happen any more.

OK the question - Do I just get an ethernet switch like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704043 and plug the output from the ethernet bridge into one port and the other devices into other ports and then they all work all snuggly warm with each other?

Sounds too easy, but is that all I need to do to run the Duet wirelessly?

Here's an even cheaper switch w/ fewer (but enough) ports
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-704-042

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Networking question - Use of a network switch
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »
Sounds too easy, but is that all I need to do to run the Duet wirelessly? (wired)

Yup.   :thumb:

You can put the PS3 on it's own port on the new switch also.

I hope that fixes the screech.

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Networking question - Use of a network switch
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:44 PM »
D'oh - wired  :duh

Thanks Rich!