Author Topic: Any experience with NAD C388, NuPrime IDA-16, or Parasound 160W Integrated?  (Read 2607 times)

djdube525

By any chance had anyone had any experience with any of the above integrateds and might have a general "rule of thumb" on sound signature as compared to something like a Marantz 7K series AVR?

I know the NAD and NuPrime are class D... but I don't see a ton of info out there comparing the three, or at least how it may compared to the "Marantz" sound.

I tend to err on warmth over bright, relaxed over detailed. Looking to pair with Salk Song3 speakers and a sub (either a rythmik sub from salk or a smaller Seaton Sound sub).

Thanks in advance.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Any experience with NAD C388, NuPrime IDA-16, or Parasound 160W Integrated?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »
I have not heard it myself, but I have read that the Parasound is more on the relaxed and warm side. Seems like a good value if that's the sound you are after. I considered buying it for all the features and value in 1 box, but I like the opposite kind of sonic signature so I didn't pursue it further. But I look forward to hearing it sometime. Salks are generally on the detailed side, so should make a good combination. And both are very pretty! Richard Schram, the president of Parasound replies to emails and gives detailed technical answers, and is very friendly. I was impressed with his replies when I was researching Halo Int.

The sub will better integrate phase with the Salk's woofers if you can place it equal or nearer distance to you than the Salks. Or at least be able to slide it closer for best listening and slide it away for waf. You can delay the sub to match Salk's phase, but you can't advance it to catch up.

Good luck with the new system Dave!!

btw Are you going to RMAF this year?

djdube525

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 03:15:53 AM »
It's quite likely that I'll go to RMAF at least one of the days. It's so close, and most of what I'm looking at would be "sight unseen" (not available in local stores aside from the Marantz) which makes me a bit cautious.

Detailed isn't necessarily bad as long as the upper frequency is tamed a bit. There's a fine line that will drive me out of a room (.  I have chatted back and forth with Jim a bit and he suggested the bamboo version of the midrange in the Song3 to tame things a bit. I see Jim is listed as an exhibitor this year - not sure what he's bringing, but may be worth-while going to get a general idea if it'll be a good match.

Are you going? Is there anyone you would recommend checking out?

EDIT: Looks like Jim will have the Song Towers in one room, Song3 BeAT and Song3 Encores which should all be a good baselines. Parasound will be there as well to show off their new integrated. Me thinks I need to spend some time there.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 04:54:37 AM by djdube525 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 06:52:09 AM »
Sounds good. Only a very slight chance I'll go.

djdube525

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 07:35:51 AM »
Sounds good. Only a very slight chance I'll go.

I'd offer accommodations, but we're still out of house post accident. Let me know if you come on out. I know Saturday is unlikely for me... but likely to do Friday and/or Sunday.