Author Topic: Turntable belt length  (Read 3987 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Turntable belt length
« on: February 23, 2021, 06:59:11 PM »
If you have an outboard motor on a belt drive table, does length matter?  I can't see why it would.  What about tension?  Should it be just enough to keep it from slipping?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Turntable belt length
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 04:41:15 AM »
My completely unscientific but thoughtful answer- I like your thought about just tight enough, because otherwise too tight would cause the belt to stretch around the pulleys when at rest, maybe causing some uneven belt elongation.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Folsom

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 04:43:59 AM »
If it's too long then it'll have less grip. But in general, no.

Some people like string the best for a belt. That doesn't work with all turntables as you may imagine.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 06:02:27 AM »
I have a VPI platter and motor and of course it came with the rubber belt. Try this ... put your finger lightly on the belt "before" the capstan on the motor. Place it lightly there and you will not feel much, because the belt it being pulled by the motor. Now place your finger on the other side, where the motor is pushing the belt to the platter. I bet you will feel quite a bit more bounce and vibration on the belt.

That vibration is being transmitted to the platter and ultimately to the stylus. 2 solutions.

(1) place something solid and heavy there so it touches the belt and absorbs some of that vibration before it gets to the platter. Maybe a brass weight or something similar.
(2) replace the rubber belt with silk string. The string won;t vibrate like the rubber and silk doesn't stretch. Any other kind of string will stretch and cause speed anomalies. Caveat ... you can;t do this second method unless you have a speed controller because the diameter of the silk string is much smaller than the rubber belt and will sit lower in the groove of the motor capstan and your platter will spin at something other than 33 1/3. Second caveat - getting the length of the sting correct takes some trial and error, because you have to tie that simple knot in it just right.

In my opinion the silk sting sounds much better than the rubber belt. You do have to start the platter turning by hand though, but that's a slight inconvenience.

Enjoy
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 10:41:06 PM »
If you have an outboard motor on a belt drive table, does length matter?  I can't see why it would.  What about tension?  Should it be just enough to keep it from slipping?

I think you are correct about just tight enough so it doesn't slip. What you want to avoid is making the belt tight enough to put sideways pressure on the platter bearing or the motor shaft . if you pull them with enough force perpendicular to the shaft you run the risk if making the shaft rub against something on the side of it. In my mind the less sideways force the better. This can cause some slippage when the platter is initially starting from a dead stop, but I agree wit Bob and give my platter a little hand spin before I hit the power button. I do this not only to avoid belt slippage but also to help avoid any undue wear and tear on the motor as the highest amount of torque required from it is at startup. I figure anything I can do to reduce the strain on the motor can only help increase its longevity.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline Bill O'Connell

• http://www.morningstaraudio.com
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 09:44:05 AM »
I have a Well Tempered Reference turntable, when I needed to replace my belt I contacted
Origin Live in the UK, it might have taken a couple of weeks to get the belt but they have step bye step instructions on how
to order. Easy Peasy. Belt seemed to elevate the play of my records.
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 11:19:04 AM »
I have a Well Tempered Reference turntable, when I needed to replace my belt I contacted
Origin Live in the UK, it might have taken a couple of weeks to get the belt but they have step bye step instructions on how
to order. Easy Peasy. Belt seemed to elevate the play of my records.
I'm curious what you heard as far as improvement.  I looked at Origin Live a couple of years ago. At the time, they didn't have one large enough. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub