Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027633 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6855 on: April 10, 2012, 05:51:00 AM »
Here's a brand new album and cover with an old and recognizeable picture for you 70's proggers.

- In a nutshell, I think it is commendable that Ian Anderson decided after all these years to make a follow-up to Thick as a Brick. Don't worry, his voice is fine on this recording and shows none of the wear and tear of his recent live shows. Unfortunately none of the other original Tull members are on the album (including Martin Barre). The energy level and grit of the original is also missing; this sounds like an overly controlled studio album more in line with "Heavy Horses" and "Stormwatch" than Thick or Passion Play. It's not ground breaking (but then, what 65 year old artist ever is) but it is interesting as a follow-up, describing what Gerald Bostock's life was like after he wrote the poem and won the contest. I guess Ian felt a little nostalgic himself, looking back.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

jsaliga

« Reply #6856 on: April 10, 2012, 07:33:37 AM »

Rolling Stones Records Stereo UK LP.  While catching up on the phone with Bill last night I was looking over a lot of the rock LPs in my rack that I haven't listened to in ages.  So I am going to spend some time with them.  Sticky Fingers is perhaps my favorite Stones LP, with Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street close behind.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #6857 on: April 10, 2012, 07:45:19 AM »

Columbia Stereo LP.  I'm a huge fan of Santana's early recordings.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #6858 on: April 10, 2012, 09:50:49 AM »

Sire LP.  My favorite Talking Heads album.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #6859 on: April 10, 2012, 10:34:55 AM »

Sundazed 140g mono vinyl reissue.  I bought this about 18 months ago and it sat on the rack still in shrink wrap all that time.  Listening to it right now.  Sundazed did their usual great job on this LP.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #6860 on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:15 AM »

1970 UA Stereo LP.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #6861 on: April 10, 2012, 12:44:29 PM »

1977 US Columbia stereo LP.

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #6862 on: April 10, 2012, 01:09:45 PM »
Rolling Stones Records Stereo UK LP.  While catching up on the phone with Bill last night I was looking over a lot of the rock LPs in my rack that I haven't listened to in ages.  So I am going to spend some time with them.  Sticky Fingers is perhaps my favorite Stones LP, with Let It Bleed and Exile on Main Street close behind.

--Jerome

Jerome it was nice to hear from you. Glad I had the time to chew the fat  :thumb:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 01:37:48 PM by pumpkinman »

jsaliga

« Reply #6863 on: April 10, 2012, 01:39:16 PM »
Glad I had the time to chew the fat  :thumb:

My wife wants me to chew less fat and more leafy greens.  :rofl:

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #6864 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:33 PM »
Carly Simon ~ No Secerts

CD

eleazar

« Reply #6865 on: April 11, 2012, 03:12:26 AM »
Mark Knopfler ~ Shangri La

CD

lonewolfny42

« Reply #6866 on: April 11, 2012, 05:36:11 AM »

Jeff Gauthier Goatette - "One & The Same"

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6867 on: April 11, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Thelonious-Bud-Powell/dp/B000002AHT

Somber but swinging Bud in later years. Healthy, technique good, not stoned this is one of Bud's finest outings. Mature playing, deep concept and execution. I say somber because there are no 400bpm Tea for Two or Night in Tunisia type show off songs that made him famous. Mostly Monk tunes, with some standards that Bud and Monk played a lot.

This is a upper bass lover's dream. The complex and dense left hand harmonies of Bud Powell played with a great acoustic bassist high in the mix. This recording is why I prefer sealed woofers. When there's more than one note in the bass.

In Europe he made several recordings, but on most he is not up like this one. This one is exceptional in that he plays great, band plays great, and the recording is by far the best sound quality of any Bud Powell recording. His Paris band, Klook-mop, Michelot.  The album was originally titled Tribute to Thelonius. They loved and idolized each other.  Another fav with this band is Live at Blue Note Cafe 1961. Not as strong playing as this, but more fireworks, tempo, and almost as good sound as this.
http://www.amazon.com/Powell-Blue-Note-Cafe-Paris/dp/B000005TDE/

Out of print, but available on CD and vinyl.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6868 on: April 12, 2012, 05:58:53 AM »
RPWL - Beyond Man and Time (CD)
- a new 2012 release by this fantastic German melodic neo-prog art-rock band. This is not the hard guitar crunching pyrotechnic stuff. This is melodic rock with a twist. Great voices and great catchy melodies that stay in your head. This new "concept album" release is just as good as their older stuff, if a bit more mainstream, and will definitely grow on you and become ear-worms in your head. I guess the closest comparison to a well known group might be melodic Pink Floyd, but that doesn;t do this music full justice either. Highly recommended.

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

eleazar

« Reply #6869 on: April 12, 2012, 01:08:21 PM »
Bow Street Runners  1970

CD