Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027165 times)

2two

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #6510 on: February 21, 2012, 02:28:41 AM »
Welcome, to 2Two.  Glad to have you here at AN.

Please tell us about the albums. We are interested in what you have to say about the music you enjoy.  :)

Hmmm... It's rare that folks post much about the album. Most don't even post a link to Amazon or All Music so that you can read a bit about it, or even type out the artist and title to make searching for it easy... Just my observation...

My observation also. Am I being singled out due to my taste in music ?

I don't think so 2Two. I think they are genuinely interested in what you like musically. You'll find people here are helpful and friendly.......Bill

I understand that Pumpkinman. And I believe I have filled that request.

eleazar

« Reply #6511 on: February 21, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »
Now this is one damn dynamic album. Holy cow!!!

Persuasive Percussion - vol 2

- a bit scratched and not in pristene condition, but still worth listening to. A bit bright but holy cow, if all records had this kind of sound ...
- I've also got vol 3, but it has no sleeve and looks really bad. We'll see.

Bob this is one of my favorite Command records. Gene loves it also. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6512 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:10 AM »
I also have that bongos album, but inside was Vol 3 of the Persuasive Percussion Command album. So I really only have the cover. Unfortunately someone played these to death, they are soooo scratchy that nothing will make them sound good again. Oh well.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

BobbyP

« Reply #6513 on: February 21, 2012, 06:51:33 AM »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6514 on: February 21, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »
Welcome, to 2Two.  Glad to have you here at AN.

Please tell us about the albums. We are interested in what you have to say about the music you enjoy.  :)

Hmmm... It's rare that folks post much about the album. Most don't even post a link to Amazon or All Music so that you can read a bit about it, or even type out the artist and title to make searching for it easy... Just my observation...

My observation also. Am I being singled out due to my taste in music ?

I don't think so 2Two. I think they are genuinely interested in what you like musically. You'll find people here are helpful and friendly.......Bill

Actually I think he is, but in a good way. One of the great things about this thread is the opportunity it gives us to share insights into different musical types, learn from each other and expand our musical experiences into areas that we may not have explored on our own. I think if you talk to any of the "regulars" here we will all have war stories about some type of music, artist or series that we never thought about before but have now become passionate about after reading a recommendation on this thread. Rap is not something that is very common in audiophile circles, but 2Two you posted some really well written musical insights into it at a level of detail we rarely see here. Well done! And as Bill Cosby used to tell people during the Fat Albert Show (Damn there I go dating myself again.  :roll:) If they are not careful, they might just learn something.  :D
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

jsaliga

« Reply #6515 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:01 PM »
Listing to this...

While sipping some of this...

--Jerome

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6517 on: February 21, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »

Is it Jazz? Is it Electronica? I say it's both... It's Modern Lounge Music...
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #6518 on: February 22, 2012, 12:04:03 AM »
Blue Man Group: Audio (1999)

It was a dream to had been able to see this show live that never got fullfilled. Intense.  :dj:

Samples

Cheers,
Robin

Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6519 on: February 22, 2012, 05:09:38 AM »
Hey Robin - they have a show that appears on PBS from time to time in HD with a 5.1 soundtrack.

I thought I had recorded it once, but now I don't see it on my server, must of been a hallucination.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6520 on: February 22, 2012, 05:31:09 AM »
Hey Robin - they have a show that appears on PBS from time to time in HD with a 5.1 soundtrack.

I thought I had recorded it once, but now I don't see it on my server, must of been a hallucination.

Or you can pick up one of their concert DVDs on Amazon for as little as $1.53 for a used copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Man-Group-Complex-Rock/dp/B0000DBJ9P/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329916249&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Man-Group-Megastar-Live/dp/B0013D8LP4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329916249&sr=8-2

The second one is also available on Blu-Ray if you are so equipped.

Just be careful of the dealer who currently has the lowest price listed, Zoverstocks. I have ordered several CDs from him before and never had a problem (His shipping is slow because he is located in the UK, but he had a bunch of stuff that was very hard to find elsewhere at a reasonable price.) I wouldn't hesitate to buy any CDs from him, but being a UK dealer I be nervous that the DVD he was selling might encoded for Region 2 and would not work in a US DVD player.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:02:24 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6521 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45:21 AM »
Saw Blue Man a few years ago down in Orlando. Awesome show. Don't miss it if you get the chance to see it live.

Just picked this up from the library. Smooth Jazz, but with some actual jazz in it. Nice if you like a laid back jazz sound with some players who can actually play. This guy's toured with everyone for the past 30 years, so he has some chops and plenty of experience, he just chooses to play in a laid back and melodic way.

Andy Snitzer - Traveler (CD)

Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6522 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:53 AM »
George Benson: Forever Gold

CD

Nice collection of tunes from the time when Benson was playing "Jazz Jazz" as opposed to the "Pop Jazz" he started playing with the Breezin' album. I had a neighbor who was a die hard jazz fan and felt he should burn in hell for "selling out" and making the switch.  :roll:

Kind of two dimensional with decent lateral staging, but no depth at all. Other than that a decent sounding collection of nice music. (It sounded great in the car, where soundstaging is not an issue.)

If any of you are members of the Amazon Prime or Gold programs where you get free shipping this be had at a price of 75 cents for a new copy or 16 cents for a used one.  :shock:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6523 on: February 22, 2012, 09:27:57 AM »
Thunderfingers - The Best of John Entwistle

Rhino CD

Collection of Solo work form the man best know as the bassist for The Who.

Samples:
http://www.amazon.com/Thunderfingers-Best-John-Entwistle/dp/B0000033WK/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1329931276&sr=1-2

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6524 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:24 AM »
The Best of Tuck & Patti

Windham Hill CD

Acoustic Jazz Guitar and vocal duo Good performances with the type of SQ we have come to expect fro Windham Hill

Customer review from Amazon:
"INCREDIBLE ALBUM !!! Tuck is probably one of the best (the best ???) jazz guitarist in the business !!!
the version of "time after time" is 100 000 times better than the original one (it's even hard to compare).
The tributes to JIMI HENDRIX "castles made of sand/little wing" is one of the best song I've ever heard.
And "Europa" played by Tuck will make you put your Santana CD in the garbage !!!
GET IT NOW !!! "

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9