Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027418 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #4230 on: September 03, 2011, 01:20:43 AM »
Sarah Vaughan: The Gold Collection

24k Gold CD

I don't know if this CD was issued as gold and aluminum CDs or if they were all gold, but this is listed on Amazon starting at $3.24 for new ones and $1.34 for used ones.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Collection-Sarah-Vaughan/dp/B00000BIES/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1315037548&sr=1-3
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4231 on: September 03, 2011, 02:52:26 AM »
Six days....no electric....thanks LIPA... [-X

Van Morrison - "Too Long in Exile"

eleazar

« Reply #4232 on: September 03, 2011, 05:34:39 AM »
Sandie Shaw – Princess of Britpop

CD

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4233 on: September 03, 2011, 05:49:26 AM »
Tom -

Good God man! How do you go from Lee Morgan to O. N. J. then back to Lee? The abrupt change in music styles would give me a headache.

Got loopy on wine listening to The Procrastinator last night and don't really remember the 2nd album, so re-listening to it with morning coffee.

Edit: Well, I didn't realize last night that there was a lovely, down-tempo version of 'Stormy Weather' on side 3. Very nice.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:56:45 AM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

eleazar

« Reply #4234 on: September 03, 2011, 06:42:43 AM »
In a Word: Yes (1969 - ) is a 5-CD box set
    disc 1

jsaliga

« Reply #4235 on: September 03, 2011, 06:56:09 AM »
However I do have one suggestion. Play it through 3 or 4 times before you give up on it, even if you do so while playing a CD so you don't have to listgen to it. I remember when MoFi firsst started putting out records back in the day they always said that they didn't polish the stampers before pressing the LPs out of fear that the polishing while it would help get rid of ticks might also wipe out some low level details. They said that the ticks that would get polished out would also get removed by the stylus during the course of the first few playings. I do remember that to be true, so before you write of what is a realy good album from a performance and musical standpoint you might want to try "breaking it in" first.

I vaguely recall the same thing Tom, but I don't know that I buy it.  And even if it is true having to play an LP 3 or 4 times to make it listenable, while fine in an isolated instance, is not workable for a large number of records.  For one, I would spend far more time breaking in bad pressings than listening to music -- given the quantities of vinyl that I buy.  Secondly, this would also accelerate the wear and tear on my stylus or require that I use a second turntable to break these records in.  No, that just isn't going to work -- at least for me it won't.

This is the main reason I stopped buying vinyl from Classic Records.  I might put an order in for 10 to 20 LPs and about 30% to 40% of them would turn up with pressing defects.  It got so bad at one point that I was seriously considering dumping vinyl completely because I felt that I was throwing my money away.  But then I came to my senses and stopped buying Classic Records releases and things improved dramatically.  I will still buy the occasional OOP Classic Records title if the price is right, but I won't pay serious money one for one since the risk of pressing issues is too great.

I am probably the hardest customer to please where pressing defects are concerned, and I am far more sensitive to them than I am mastering problems.  Labels and pressing plants have to earn my trust.  I loath RTI and think that at least 30% of what they press is junk.  I try to avoid anything pressed by them.  But there are exceptions.  I believe Music Matters has their 45 RPM 180g Blue Note reissues pressed at RTI.  I have bought just about every single one of them.  Why?  Because Music Matters has a quality control process in place that insulates me from issues with the pressing plant.  I have only had a problem with one Music Matters reissue, and they replaced it promptly.

Quality Record Pressings has some work to do in order to earn my trust.  For now I am approaching them with the same caution that I did with Classic Records.  I won't judge them based on one LP...but this is not a very good start.  So I don't feel that I can buy with confidence like I do Music Matters or Speakers Corner titles.

At the moment I think that Pallas Records in Germany is pressing the best vinyl on the planet.  Speakers Corner and Pure Pleasure Records are using them.  Chad is also using them for the Impulse! 45 RPM 180g series, and also used them for the Bill Evans Riverside recordings boxed set.  You will not find a rough edge or off center label on a record pressed at Pallas.  The records are simply beautiful to look at, and a sheer joy to handle and listen to.  I own a few hundred of their pressings and only had a problem with one from Speakers Corner.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 10:35:04 AM by jsaliga »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4236 on: September 03, 2011, 07:29:19 AM »
I vaguely recall the same thing Tom, but I don't know that I buy it.  And even if it is true having to play an LP 3 or 4 times to make it listenable, while fine in an isolated instance, is not workable for a large number of records.  For one, I would spend far more time breaking in bad pressings than listening to music -- given the quantities of vinyl that I buy. 

Oh, I definitely agree that this would not be a good solution for large quantities of LPs (been there,done that, got a whole draw full of those tee shirts  :lol: ). I only mentioned it because IMO Gentle Ben is a great album and it would be worth it to me to put in a little effort to salvage it.

But you are right, if I had to do that for every LP I bought I would go crazy to. I have enough trouble keeping up with what I pick up when  I just play them once.  :roll:  :rofl:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4237 on: September 03, 2011, 07:33:27 AM »
Six days....no electric....thanks LIPA... [-X

Ouch!  :shock:

I hope you at least have an ipod with a good charge in it.  :roll:

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4238 on: September 03, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »
Good God man! How do you go from Lee Morgan to O. N. J. then back to Lee? The abrupt change in music styles would give me a headache.

Gene,

I picked up the ONJ out of curiosity from the library\ and it got mixed in with a bunch of my own stuff. While I was straightening up last night I came across it and noticed it was due today, so I put it next in the rotation so I could give it a listen before it eas time to bring it back. But it is not as big a jump in musical styles as you would think since  it is not at typical ONJ pop album but rather a foray into jazz type vocals as is being done by so many aging pop stars lately. It seems that everybody and his brother is coming out with an album of "standards" (and some like Rod Stewart seem to be making a second career out of it.)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4239 on: September 03, 2011, 07:45:05 AM »
Patricia Barber: Modern Cool

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4240 on: September 03, 2011, 08:11:00 AM »
George Benson: Giblet Gravy

Verve CD

When I was in HS Benson's Breezin' album was the first thing that really pulled me into the world of jazz (or at least semi jazz as it was more of a pop crossover album.) I had a neighbor at the time that would spit on the ground every time somebody mentioned George Benson because he felt that he was a traitor to the art by subverting jazz simply to sell more records. At the time I thought this was just plain silly, all the gy was trying to do was make a living and if crossover jazz was what sold, what was wrong with that. Well after hearing this album which even predates Benson's time with Creed Taylor, I now understand where he was coming from. I'm reaqlly liking this album and will now be on the prowl for more things that he did for Verve

Edit: I did some research and it looks like this won't be too easy. Benson only recorded 2 albums for Verve (as a headliner anyway), Giblet Gravey and anoyher one called Goodies, which has never been rekleased on CD, nor as far as I can tell been rereleased on vinyl. This will be tough to find and I would think even tougher to find at a reasonable price (it sounds like it would be prewtty collectable and we all know what that does to the asking prices.)

However all is not lost. I did find a Benson CD called Talking Verve which the writeup says features music from Bensons  verve albums. It does not contgain everything from both albums, but its a start. (and I found it on Amazon for only 17 cents.  8) )
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 08:34:18 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #4241 on: September 03, 2011, 08:37:43 AM »
The Bill Evans Trio: At the Village Vanguard

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #4242 on: September 03, 2011, 09:37:28 AM »

MFSL 45RPM 180g vinyl.  My favorite Patricia Barber album.

--Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #4243 on: September 03, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »

jsaliga

« Reply #4244 on: September 03, 2011, 11:07:39 AM »

Analogue Productions 45RPM 180g Impulse! reissue.  Absolutely spectacular.

--Jerome