Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026629 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #3840 on: July 25, 2011, 11:47:23 PM »
Sonny Rollins: Way Out West

Analogue Productions 180g LP

Chad Kasem's Analogue Production 180g LP reissue of this classic album was sourced from the original 2 track master tape. Nothing needs to be said about the music nor the performance, which is first rate. However it has to be noted that Chad's team did an absolutely stellar job with the SQ. It is absolutely reference quality. By far the best version of Way Out west that I have ever heard. And this is only the 33 1/3 RPM version. It scares me to think what the 45 version must sound like.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3841 on: July 26, 2011, 12:20:26 AM »
The Beatles: Love

2 LP Set

Found this on Amazon at a price I couldn't resist ($25.08   :shock: .....and it is still available at that price - http://www.amazon.com/LOVE-Vinyl-Beatles/dp/B000M06SU4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311663587&sr=1-1 )

I found the the LPs to be better than the CDs in most of the ways one would expect (Better soundstaging, especially depth, better inner detail  and tighter and faster bass (although not necessarily more bass). But what really impressed me was not how much better the LP was, but rather how good the CD actually is. While the differences are there, I get the impression that they will get lost in the sauce on anything but a well tuned audiophile system. Even though I appreciate and enjoy the incremental differences of the vinyl version, I have to admit, the CD is really good (and you don't have to interupt the flow of the performance to flip sides.) And truth be told, I will most likely end up playing the CD more than the LPs as this is a great car and causal listening album. (Did I actually just say that??? :shock: )

Given all that I think Jerome hit the nail right on the head when he said  "This is the Beatles.  AND THIS IS THE BEATLES ON VINYL!! for cryin' out loud."   :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:23:48 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3842 on: July 26, 2011, 12:27:02 AM »
We now return to our regularly scheduled backlogged CD postings, already in progress........

Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook, Vol. 2

Verve CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3843 on: July 26, 2011, 12:28:48 AM »
Bobby Short: Songs of New York

Telarc CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3844 on: July 26, 2011, 12:37:30 AM »
Pottery Barn Movie Night

CD

A collection of popular music used in feature films. Nice selections, credible SQ

OK, side 4 of "Love" just finished, so I can shut down for the night. (Yeah, as many times as I've heard every one of the songs, it still just sucked me right in.  :roll:)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:42:42 AM by tmazz »

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3845 on: July 26, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »
We now return to our regularly scheduled backlogged CD postings, already in progress........

Tom....

Do we really need to know every piece of music that you listened too ?  :duh

On the front page of AN....in the "Recent Posts"....there are "20 slots"....when you fill them all up...looks like nothing else is going on here when people "check in".... :?

Chris

PS....The title of this thread is......What are you listening to right now? :thumb:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 12:42:31 AM by lonewolfny42 »

jsaliga

« Reply #3846 on: July 26, 2011, 06:51:42 AM »
I dunno.  I say bring it.  Tom has a sufficiently varied taste in music that he always seems to touch on something that ducked under my radar that may be of interest.

I only wish I had more time to post and share what I listen to.  And it looks like I will have even less time since it seems I will be doing a very large IT infrastructure migration project that will keep me tied up for two to three months.  I'm going to try to take a week off before this project kicks off...but I don't know if I will get that chance.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3847 on: July 26, 2011, 07:24:17 AM »
I'm off 2 minds, I love to see what others are listening to, be it Tom, Jerome, Bill and others. But it is odd when all the slots are filled on the 1st page by 1 person.

Maybe folks posting multiples could list them in one post, minus album covers, or just your 1 fav. cover, in 1 post.

Just thinking out loud here.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

jsaliga

« Reply #3848 on: July 26, 2011, 08:17:32 AM »
But it is odd when all the slots are filled on the 1st page by 1 person.

I have seen two, sometimes three days go by with no new posts, and there are many times when I am the only member on the boards.

On occasion I have thought about putting what I am listening to in a single post.  But since I haven't been posting much lately I don't see that it matters.  And I for one prefer to see the album art.  It is especially helpful when you are talking about original vintage pressings since the cover might look a little different from a reissue.  Sometimes the artwork will vary in not so obvious ways, even between stereo and mono pressings.

I just don't see this as a problem that needs a solution.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3849 on: July 26, 2011, 08:24:19 AM »

Better than the Chinese LP you got last week?

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3850 on: July 26, 2011, 08:26:01 AM »
Having just got this back, I put on the DVD-A while I slice watermelon to beat the heat.

Listening to someone sing about 'yellow matter custard' while you slice fruit is a little odd.

The Beatles: Love

2 LP Set

Found this on Amazon at a price I couldn't resist ($25.08   :shock: .....and it is still available at that price - http://www.amazon.com/LOVE-Vinyl-Beatles/dp/B000M06SU4/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1311663587&sr=1-1 )

I found the the LPs to be better than the CDs in most of the ways one would expect (Better soundstaging, especially depth, better inner detail  and tighter and faster bass (although not necessarily more bass). But what really impressed me was not how much better the LP was, but rather how good the CD actually is. While the differences are there, I get the impression that they will get lost in the sauce on anything but a well tuned audiophile system. Even though I appreciate and enjoy the incremental differences of the vinyl version, I have to admit, the CD is really good (and you don't have to interupt the flow of the performance to flip sides.) And truth be told, I will most likely end up playing the CD more than the LPs as this is a great car and causal listening album. (Did I actually just say that??? :shock: )

Given all that I think Jerome hit the nail right on the head when he said  "This is the Beatles.  AND THIS IS THE BEATLES ON VINYL!! for cryin' out loud."   :thumb:
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3851 on: July 26, 2011, 09:07:36 AM »
I'm off 2 minds, I love to see what others are listening to, be it Tom, Jerome, Bill and others. But it is odd when all the slots are filled on the 1st page by 1 person.

Maybe folks posting multiples could list them in one post, minus album covers, or just your 1 fav. cover, in 1 post.

Just thinking out loud here.

Nobody is really right or wrong here, but here was my thinking:

1) I find having the cover art in the post very valuable because it really tends to be a memory jogger when going through the racks at the your favorite record emporium. Many times I have been flipping through the stock and a cover has caught my eye that I recognized  as something that was posted on AN that OI might want tol grab. FOr some reason at least for me, the cover art seems to stick with me better than a list of Artists/Titles.

2) That said,  if a post contains several albums and somebody hits the quote hotspot to leave a reply comment, the entire multi album post gets replicated, clogging up the thread (I guess people could always edit out the information about the albums they are not commenting on, but in my experience this does not happen all that often.)

3) While I see what Chris' is saying, it never really appeared to me as a probblem since when I sign onto Nervosa I end up scanning down the home page abd clicking on all the "new" flags as I go so by the time I get to the list at the bottom of the page I have already viewed everthing that is on the list. But I can understand how this might be an issue for people who go to the list first.

4) This also may be a self healing issue. With all of the "activity" that was going on in m y house over the last few months I reallyh did not have trhe time or energy to buy, listen and post. (Listening was my therapy and heaven forbid I stop shopping  :lol: , so the posting fell mby the wayside. ) But during that time I found quite a few good things that I wanted to share info about , so I put the new aquistions aside until I had the time to write them up. Well as of last night I was pretty much all caught up and things have setlled down to the point where I should now be able to for the most part get my listening posts up in real time.

This was just my thoughts on why I was doing things the way I did, it is not in any way meant to imply that this is the right or only way to do it. If the group wants to come up with another set of posting gudelines or standards I would be more than happy to go along.  Any ideas are welcome.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3852 on: July 26, 2011, 09:33:25 AM »
After just talking about not doing multiple album posts I am going to do one now because these CDs are all  part of a related series.

I came accros a series of jazz CDs at the Crack House from a lable called 32 Jazz. These discs are all mood themed collections of small combo acoustic jazz. They feature music from well respected jazz artists and the SQ is first rate. A lot of well done rlaxing jazz that really helped me get through the past few weeks. I have been grabbing anything I see from the series and highly recommend it. (Note: I have also seen discs from this series distributed under the Jazz Hertiage and Savoy labels)

Jazz for a Lazy Day

Jazz for a Rainy Afternoon

Jazz for When You're Alone

Jazz for WhenYou're Not Alone (2 CD Set)

Jazz for Those Peaceful Moments

Jazz for the Open Road

32Gems From 32 Jazz (3 CD Set)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3853 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »
I use the list of recent posts too, but mostly I use the New Posts link in the Quick Links toolbar.
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?action=unread
I put this on my browser bookmark bar. It shows only the threads that have new posts I haven't read. If I am not in the mood to read the "What are you listening to" thread, then I just ignore it and press "Mark All Posts Read" to remove it from my New Posts List.

The Listening thread has back and forth discussion and excellent record reviews so I wouldn't change anything. But I agree with Chris that it is OK to skip it unless the mood strikes. Sometimes the mood does strike and it is fun to post every record.

Savoy, huh? Bird recorded his very best tunes for them 70 years ago! I wonder if it is related at all.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3854 on: July 26, 2011, 09:42:49 AM »

Better than the Chinese LP you got last week?

Can't imagine it not being better. But I will never knoiw since I chickend out and returned it to J&R unopened. It was not that much cheaper than the AP release and Chad had his in stock, so I just went for the known quality. I have absolutely no regrets since the AP verision is most definitely top of the pile as far as SQ goes.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9