Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3026704 times)

eleazar

Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #3735 on: July 14, 2011, 05:13:48 PM »
Edgar Winter's White Trash

LP

eleazar

« Reply #3736 on: July 15, 2011, 04:41:45 AM »
Edgar Winter ~ Frankenstein 1984

LP

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3737 on: July 15, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
The Concert for Bangladesh [Box set]
George Harrison | Format: Vinyl
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3738 on: July 15, 2011, 07:24:54 PM »
Easy Walker
Stanley Turrentine | Format: Vinyl

Sun is down, breeze is cool, wine is just right, Soul Jazz hitting the spot.

Shelter 501 Mk II likes Mr Turrentine's axe.

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3739 on: July 16, 2011, 12:20:36 AM »

Warren Haynes - "Man In Motion"

eleazar

« Reply #3740 on: July 17, 2011, 06:54:19 AM »
The Animals ~ Live at the Club a Go-Go

CD

jsaliga

« Reply #3741 on: July 17, 2011, 07:53:17 AM »
Hey Jerome, I have LOVE on CD and DVD-A, I'll send it to you if you want to cross listen.

Gene

Gene was kind enough to loan me his digital copy of Love, both on CD and DVD-A.  I did not listen to them both in their entirety...but I did compare CD, DVD-A, and vinyl on the following tracks:

I am the Walrus
Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!
Here Comes the Sun
Come Together
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
A Day in the Life

The sonics on all three were very, very close to each other.  The vinyl was a tad more open with a smidgen more air in the upper frequencies.  The CD and DVD-A had a tiny bit more bottom end.  I really cannot say that one categorically sounded better than another.  I doubt that a critical listener would be able to find fault with any of them.

If you already own the vinyl version the only incentives to buy the digital is that you want a copy for the car or if you have a multichannel setup and want to hear it in 5.1.  I'm strictly a two channel guy, and to listen to the DVD-A tracks on a level playing field I ripped the MLP multi-track mix using DVD-A Explorer and downmixed it to stereo, converting to FLAC in the process.  I did not change the 24bit/96KHz sampling rate, just transcoded the audio from one lossless format to another since my audio player doesn't support direct playback of MLP.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #3742 on: July 17, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »

While Bill has a Ph.D. in psychedelic rock, I am still working on my undergraduate degree.  :rofl:  But I do like this music a lot.  There aren't too many albums that I have listened to that are more trippy than this one.  The sound quality on this Sundazed reissue is fantastic.  I have to give them credit, Sundazed has done a fabulous job of preserving a lot of 1960s rock.  From psychedlia to garage rock and lo-fi, it is really great to be able to buy a lot of this music on quality vinyl pressings since original LPs are starting to get very expensive when you do manage to locate a decent copy.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:32:34 AM by jsaliga »

eleazar

« Reply #3743 on: July 17, 2011, 06:17:36 PM »

While Bill has a Ph.D. in psychedelic rock, I am still working on my undergraduate degree.  :rofl:  --Jerome

eleazar

« Reply #3744 on: July 17, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »
Paul McCartney ~ Pipes Of Peace

LP

jsaliga

« Reply #3745 on: July 18, 2011, 01:48:51 PM »

Very nice original Jazzland vinyl pressing.  This is a great blowin' session.

--Jerome

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3746 on: July 18, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
John Coltrane & Johnny Hartman
John Coltrane, Johnny Hartman, Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison,McCoy Tyner | Format: Audio CD

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3747 on: July 18, 2011, 06:59:47 PM »
Very nice original Jazzland vinyl pressing.  This is a great blowin' session.

--Jerome

I don't have that one, KD is my fav. thanks for the tip Jerome!

jsaliga

« Reply #3748 on: July 19, 2011, 03:03:48 PM »

My favorite Kinks album.  These Deluxe Edition reissues are quite nice.  In some cases you get the album in stereo and mono, and in others you get unreleased session recordings and some live takes.

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #3749 on: July 19, 2011, 03:32:14 PM »
I've grown to love Ella recently.

Just be careful about what you pick up. There is a lot a dreadful sounding Ella discs out there. If you stick with the major labels (especially Verve) you are pretty safe, but when you get into those no-name discs there are a lot of stinkers with SQ that sounds like an old rock concert bootleg. Some decent stuff on the small labels but but you have to sort past the cr@p. If you find some no-name record label discs in a place like DDs be sure to take a minute and throw them on the audition TT and give a listen before laying out money for them.

Happy hunting.  :thumb:

I missed this one from a while back and thought I would comment.  Ella recorded for three principal record labels throughout her career.  In her early days she sang as a featured vocalist with the Chick Webb Orchestra and all of those sides were recorded on Decca.  Ella continued her association with Decca when she started her solo career.  She later made the move to Verve and many of her most memorable recordings were done with Norman Granz.  The Ella Fitzgerald Song Book series was tremendously popular at the time.  Fitzgerald also made a few records for Capitol in the late 1960s.  Don't waste your time on those.  Capitol thought they were going to make a pop singer out of Fitzgerald and those records were truely awful.  In the early 1970s, and for the remainder of her recording life, she renewed her association with Norman Granz and joined him on the Pablo label.

Original Verve and Pablo pressings of many of Ella's best recordings from the LP era are fairly easy to find, though they are getting somewhat pricey.  The Decca stuff was recorded on shellac and decent 78s of Ella Fitzgerald with the Chick Webb Orchestra are getting damn expensive.  There is a 4 CD boxed set of Ella's Decca material that you can still find even though it's out of print.  And if for some reason you having trouble locating it you can buy it as an mp3 download from Amazon.com for $36.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:22:44 PM by jsaliga »