Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027051 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2745 on: April 29, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »
Nope.  He got it from me for $0.

--Jerome

Wow, that one went right over my head!     :lol:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2746 on: April 29, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

These are reissues guys.  I might get overcome by the desire to gift music every now and then, but I am not so generous that I would hand out original Blue Note and Riverside vinyl pressings.  :shock:

--Jerome

Two great albums. But you know what, in many cases from the point of view of a listener the reissues are often damn close and sometimes better in some respects than the originals. While the collectors, who want to own for the sake of owning a certain pressing will drive to price out of sight, I derive my pleasure from listening  so reissues work just fine for me. I have very few absolute rules when it come t this hobby but one of them relates to records and that is if I'm not going to listen to it, I'm not going to buy it. So what ever works out best from a listening perspective is the road I take, regardless of the value or collectability of the record. If I ever came across a kilobuck original Bluenote pressing in the Crackhouse I would probably listen to it once and then put it up for sale and use the proceeds to buy a whole bunch of audiophile reissues.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2747 on: April 30, 2011, 03:01:53 AM »
Eleazar found me my copy there, but it cost $8. Crackie the vinyl dealer also had it as a 'deep grove' for $100.

LP

It's nice to know Santa Claus makes more than 1 trip a year

Tell me you got this for $1 at the Crack House??????
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2748 on: April 30, 2011, 03:02:43 AM »
Nice!  :thumb:

Nope.  He got it from me for $0.

--Jerome
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2749 on: April 30, 2011, 03:08:56 AM »
Thing to Do
Blue Mitchell | Format: Audio CD

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2750 on: April 30, 2011, 05:25:29 AM »
Out of the Blue
Blue Mitchell | Format: Audio CD

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2751 on: April 30, 2011, 07:39:48 AM »

These are reissues guys.  I might get overcome by the desire to gift music every now and then, but I am not so generous that I would hand out original Blue Note and Riverside vinyl pressings.  :shock:

--Jerome

Two great albums. But you know what, in many cases from the point of view of a listener the reissues are often damn close and sometimes better in some respects than the originals. While the collectors, who want to own for the sake of owning a certain pressing will drive to price out of sight, I derive my pleasure from listening  so reissues work just fine for me. I have very few absolute rules when it come t this hobby but one of them relates to records and that is if I'm not going to listen to it, I'm not going to buy it. So what ever works out best from a listening perspective is the road I take, regardless of the value or collectability of the record. If I ever came across a kilobuck original Bluenote pressing in the Crackhouse I would probably listen to it once and then put it up for sale and use the proceeds to buy a whole bunch of audiophile reissues.

I just wanted to clear something up so as not to offend anyone. I am a collector of music. When I make my choices about whether to part with some of my resources (whether it be spare cash or lately storage space  :roll:) to obtain a particular piece of software the overriding concern in making that decision is the musical experience I will have listening to it. I take not pride in the ownership of the physical medium itself, but rather in what it contains. Now there are people out there who derive their pleasure from the hunting down and collecting of the physical items. And if that is how they get their kicks, that's their business and it's fine with me. It's just not my thing, that's all. That said, if I ever tripped over an original Blue Note at a reasonable price I would consider buying it, but more because of the music than the collectability. But that is just me, YMMV.

For me it always comes down to how good is the music (both performance and SQ) vs how much does it cost. And where the go/no go point is on that curve is a very individual decision that depends on many factors in each person's individual circumstances such as how much free cash do you have and what other things could you buy with the that money if you don't purchase the record under question. There is not right or wrong answer here. It is an individual decision that will vary now only from person to person but also from day  to day for the same person. (Think about how your record buying standards would change if you got a big cash windfall, like winning the lottery or even just got a nice bonus at work or on the downside if a family member suddenly got sick and you were hit with a bunch of substantial medical bills.)

So even among like minded music collectors there is no right and wrong purchasing rules. It all boils down to what just feels right at the moment (I still have a hard thing explaining that one to my wife!   :lol:)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2752 on: April 30, 2011, 08:00:15 AM »
Fleetwood Mac
Fleetwood Mac | Format: vinyl

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2753 on: April 30, 2011, 08:31:26 AM »
Villa-Lobos: 12 Etudes for Guitar, 5 Preludes for Guitar / Narciso Yepes

LP

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #2754 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:54 AM »
Tom,

I certainly wasn't offended and I doubt anyone else was.  I think eveyone finds their own way and does what works for them.  Different folks will have varying experiences with this stuff and reach different conclusions.  I'm not a collector -- I'm a music lover.  But most people would take one look in my basement and say "You're a collector."  I say not so fast.  If I have a large record/CD/tape collection then it is my love and passion for music that brought me to it.  I don't buy anything just to have it in my possession.

I think music lovers are torn between two worlds and neither of them are ideal.  Vinyl is a deeply flawed medium (prone to manufacturer defects and user damage) that historically has contained near-perfect recordings.  On the other hand, digital provides a near perfect medium that has been used to store poor recordings (or good recordings with bad mixing and mastering).  My own experience suggests that vinyl peaked in about 1960.  In my view every record pressed after 1974 up until 1980 is of mediocre quality, and records pressed after 1980 and up to vinyl's comeback is worthless junk.  Even some audiohphile pressings on heavy vinyl have quality control problems - Classic Records was notorious for them.

So, having said all of that my thing is that I want my recordings in the best sound available.  So I will prefer, for example, an original 1960 pressing on heavy vinyl of a given recording over a 1976 reissue that was pressed on wafer thin vinyl.  I am extremely sensitive to vinyl defects.  I can live with a stray light pop or occasional crackle, but I have no tolerance whatsoever for a scratch that produces a loud recurring pop every time the stylus passes over it as the record spins.  That's a deal breaker for me.

As much as I would prefer to have original vinyl pressings of everything, due to cost and availability this just isn't possible.  This is where reissues fill a void.  I tend to favor audiophile reissues remastered by engineers I am familiar with and trust such as Steve Hoffman, Bernie Grundman, Doug Sax, and a few others.  Sometimes there is no audiophile vinyl reissue, and all you can find is a catalogue reissue (lots of these are out there from Original Jazz Classics, for example).  They certainly sound good enough to listen to and enjoy.  My approach to music is that I would rather have it on CD then not at all if no better sounding recording is available on vintage vinyl.  The music comes first for me, but once I am committed to the music then I do make the effort to locate the best possible recording that I can find at a price I am willing to pay.

--Jerome
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:59:26 AM by jsaliga »

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2755 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
Mozart Quartets K. 499 & K.575/ Guarneri Quartet

LP

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

jsaliga

« Reply #2756 on: April 30, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »

--Jerome

jsaliga

« Reply #2757 on: April 30, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »

--Jerome

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2758 on: April 30, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »
Albert King, Steve Cropper, Pop Staples: Jammed Together

CD

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #2759 on: April 30, 2011, 09:43:58 AM »
Joni Mitchell: Both Sides Now

CD

Joni Mitchell singing a collection of old standards backed by a Nelson Riddle type orchestration.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9