Author Topic: What are you listening to right now?  (Read 3027196 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: What are you listening to right now?
« Reply #2130 on: March 12, 2011, 07:10:29 AM »
Thanks Gene, I'll check it out.  Enjoy "Delightfulee!"

The Delightfulee album cover shows his trumpet with a french cup mouthpiece, rather than the german bowl type that almost everyone else used (Bach.) I was already using that type of mouthpiece first time I saw that picture, and was being persecuted for it, so it made me feel good to see him using it too. His teacher Clifford used a big bach german bowl mouthpiece, but I think Lee's time in Dizzy's big band influenced the change.  Classical squares freak when they see the Jet-Tone exterior mouthpiece shape, so I had one made inside a Bach blank to use in high school auditions. Then they said "excellent tone."  :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2131 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:54 AM »
Then they said "excellent tone." 

People hear what they want to hear.

Just finished Lee while shopping on-line for some Mullard ECC83s for my EAR 834P, now wrapping up my passive preamp for shipping, had to sell it to offset the cost of the EAR. Wrapping to;

Walkin'
Miles Davis | Format: Audio CD

First time I've listened to this as well, title track is a groove.

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2132 on: March 12, 2011, 08:16:18 AM »

http://www.discogs.com/Maynard-Ferguson-Stratospheric/release/1422021

My favorite Maynard record of all time. At the peak of his powers, not encumbered by big band duties. Small bands, from the 50s, arrangements by Bill Holman, along with a few Holman originals. I've never seen this on CD. I also have the Clifford Brown version of this Emarcy reissue series. Mastering is better than the resissue CDs, some of which were taken from LPs. There is a Dizzy Gillespie volume also, which I listened to a lot in HS, but it walked.

The mastering and music quality on these EmArcy Jazz Series double album sets is excellent. I have seen other artists volumes in the bins over the years, but can't remember who.

EDIT:  I started playing this when it was released in 76, on a ceramic cartridge all in one player set to auto repeat for hours at a time, the treble response is ruined. But I just found a (supposedly) mint version on EBay and snagged it. It will be really fun to hear this with good sound quality again.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 08:23:50 AM by richidoo »

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2133 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:11 AM »
Dropped off pre at PO, took son to get his hair trimmed, and while waiting for him, since I'm stuck in a Blue Note/Prestige jazz trumpet groove, (though this from his time at Columbia);

Milestones
Miles Davis | Format: MP3 via Zune

"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2134 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
I'll have to look for this one, I don't have any Maynard in my collection yet.

http://www.discogs.com/Maynard-Ferguson-Stratospheric/release/1422021

My favorite Maynard record of all time. At the peak of his powers, not encumbered by big band duties. Small bands, from the 50s, arrangements by Bill Holman, along with a few Holman originals. I've never seen this on CD. I also have the Clifford Brown version of this Emarcy reissue series. Mastering is better than the resissue CDs, some of which were taken from LPs. There is a Dizzy Gillespie volume also, which I listened to a lot in HS, but it walked.

The mastering and music quality on these EmArcy Jazz Series double album sets is excellent. I have seen other artists volumes in the bins over the years, but can't remember who.

EDIT:  I started playing this when it was released in 76, on a ceramic cartridge all in one player set to auto repeat for hours at a time, the treble response is ruined. But I just found a (supposedly) mint version on EBay and snagged it. It will be really fun to hear this with good sound quality again.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2135 on: March 12, 2011, 09:45:19 AM »
My Milestones walked off too. I think I'll try to get it on vinyl instead of CD   $$$$

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2136 on: March 12, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »
Blues & The Abstract Truth
Oliver Nelson | Format: Audio CD

We're on a roll.

eleazar

« Reply #2137 on: March 12, 2011, 11:58:23 AM »
   LP

I have probably a dozen Brian Auger albums, including Befour.  They sit quietly, patiently awaiting their time on the table, which rarely ever comes.  When the time finally does come, I am constantly surprised by the  complex, interesting, melodic and fresh sounds that emit from my speakers.

I have a few of thier LPs also. I broke them out again after seeing Brian Auger posted on another site.
I have been enjoying them now on a regular basis....................Bill

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2138 on: March 12, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »

Jackie and Lee make a great front.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #2139 on: March 12, 2011, 02:22:07 PM »
Easy Start All-Stars -Dub Side of the Moon -- Yes, Dark Side of the Moon played in a Reggae Beat!!

and  Wes Montgomery - Full House

Thanks tmazz!!!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2140 on: March 12, 2011, 02:57:24 PM »

I think this is from 1947.
The discs are labelled funny. One disc has sides 1 and 4, the other has sides 2 and 3.  :-|

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2141 on: March 12, 2011, 03:08:46 PM »
Cookbook
Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis (Artist) | Format: Vinyl

Great album, but my copy is kinda beat, gotta find me another.

eleazar

« Reply #2142 on: March 12, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2143 on: March 12, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »

2LPs

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2144 on: March 12, 2011, 04:01:02 PM »
Dave Brubeck Quartet - At a Perfume Counter on 12" LP

Also available on CD compilation "Stardust"

This one track is 15 minutes long, first released on Fantasy 10" record in early 50s, with Frenesi on the flip side. That's pretty amazing for 1953, a 15 minute track. Intellectual jazz concert listening was really kicking in then, no more jazz dancing, kids wanted long virtuosic and innovative jazz solos. They put Brubeck on the cover of Time mag. Mine is 1960s 12" reissue with some Cal Tjader stuff on the other side. Given to me by one of the screaming party girls in the background of Lionel Richie's "All Night Long" song. She found it dirt cheap in a used record shop in Hollywood, CA back in 1988, knew I loved Brubeck. Every record has a story!

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:03:06 PM by richidoo »