Author Topic: HAL MS-6 Music Server/Steamer  (Read 4479 times)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
HAL MS-6 Music Server/Steamer
« on: February 26, 2021, 08:29:48 AM »
The latest HAL Music Server the MS-6 design is complete and running Windows 10 Home 64bit OS.  This system is for folks that do not need a built in DVD drive for ripping CD collections.  An external USB DVD is always possible as provided by the customer for use with programs Exact Audio Copy.

The system is an Intel Atom quad core processor with 4GB or ram and 64GB of SSD.  The unit is very small as shown in the pictures.

The system has been tested with both Foobar2000 and JRiver Media Center 27 for music replay via USB2 Audio with Windows 10 drivers for an external DAC.  This also lets the user run room correction programs like Math Audio Room EQ.

It has also been tested with Room EQ Wizard for room measurements as needed with a user supplied USB calibrated mic.   It will also work with a user supplies Dayton Audio IMM-6 calibrated mic via the internal sound card for REW measurements.  Calibration data is via Dayton Audio website with the serial number. A standard Apple 4 pin TRRS style extension cable can be used the mic remotely on a stand.

The capabilities are as follows:

For I/O there are 3xUSB2 ports, 1xUSB3 port, Gigabit Ethernet, Bluetooth, WiFi and a simple sound card.  A possible expansion to add a I2S Bus interface is in work.  There is a full size HDMI port for video use and the user supplied keyboard and mouse or trackpad.  I use a Bluetooth keyboard with trackpad as an example.  It will also come with a 45 watt USBC style GaN based SMPS for power.

The system can be run headless, but for setup the users display, keyboard and mouse are needed.

The system will come with Foobar2000 as a player and Room EQ Wizard for measurements installed.  Math Audio Room EQ will be setup in Foobar2000 for use.

Any streaming service that has a Windows 10 style program will run on the system, so that is up to the user choice to install.

The basic system price as described above is $450.00 + shipping.  Please contact me for other details.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL MS-6 Music Server/Steamer
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 07:28:17 AM »
The HAL MS-6 chassis are finally arriving and have built the first production unit.  For the first 4 customers of the system will come with a Dayton Audio iMM-6 calibrated measurement mic.  REW and MathAudio are installed and the microphone cal data file is installed for the mic measurements. 

Here is a simple test of the mic and the MS-6 internal sound card for REW measurements.  The iMM-6 is connected to the MS-6 TRRS connector.  The other connector for the mic is if you want to use only the MS-6 to measure, a TRS stereo 3.5mm jack is available for line output to the external system and speakers.  If the system has a USB DAC, then that can also be the signal source.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
Re: HAL MS-6 Music Server/Steamer now available
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2021, 05:20:58 AM »
The production HAL MS-6 Music Servers systems are now available to purchase for $450.00+shipping.

It will be loaded with Foobar2000 for music replay along with MathAudio RoomEQ for room measurements and correction.  Also Room EQ Wizard will be installed for room measurements.

The first 4 systems sold will come with the Dayton Audio iMM-6 calibrated measurement mic.  You will need to supply an extension TRRS cable like for an iPhone and mic clip to remote the mic for measurements.

Please contact me via a message to purchase.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2021, 04:57:23 AM »
The first batch of various HAL MS-6 shipped out on Thursday to customers and friends.

Two are for Music Servers and one is for a home studio recording system.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 07:03:52 PM »
Shipping out another HAL MS-6 on Monday to CO.   :thumb:

Looking forward to listener feedback once all three systems arrive for demos.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 10:44:19 PM »

Shipping out another HAL MS-6 on Monday to CO.   

Looking forward to listener feedback once all three systems arrive for demos.
  :thumb: I wish I had time now, but alas....
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 04:28:48 AM »
Dave,
There will be one if you have time. 

Busy is good!  :thumb:

Best,
Rich

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:31:09 AM »
Dave,
There will be one if you have time. 

Busy is good!  :thumb:

Best,
Rich
Life is insane right now!
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 12:03:31 PM »
  Great price Hal.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 04:57:05 PM »
Charles,
Thanks!  Everyone that has seen it so far just says it looks Tiny, until they hear it!   :D

Hopefully this will help some move to great sounding digital replay that is easily upgradable.

Rich

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »
Charles,
Thanks!  Everyone that has seen it so far just says it looks Tiny, until they hear it!   :D

Hopefully this will help some move to great sounding digital replay that is easily upgradable.

Rich

Small box, big sound. That sounds like a good formula, Rich  :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2021, 06:14:07 PM »
Nick,
Thanks!  That is the idea!  :thumb:

Since it is fanless, you can put it just about anywhere with some ventilation.  Very low power requirements, so running it 24/7 does not burn up a lot of power. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2021, 06:06:54 PM »
The person demoing the latest MS-6 shipped out compared it to his MAC Mini both running Audirvana.

His words about the HAL MS-6 in his system:

"Certainly much quieter than the mac mini it replaces. You can really tell when listening just how low the noise floor is.  It really sounds beautiful!"

Made my day! 🙂

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2021, 10:14:21 PM »
The person demoing the latest MS-6 shipped out compared it to his MAC Mini both running Audirvana.

His words about the HAL MS-6 in his system:

"Certainly much quieter than the mac mini it replaces. You can really tell when listening just how low the noise floor is.  It really sounds beautiful!"

Made my day! 🙂

That’s great news, Rich  :thumb: Congratulations and hopefully many more great comments will soon follow
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline HAL