Author Topic: 3 day rave.  (Read 17952 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: 3 day rave.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 07:30:36 AM »
Good point SN.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 12:35:09 PM »
Good point SN.

Thanks, Rich. :thumb:

You know whey say about the "best laid plans", right!? :(

I learned to plan ahead "the hard way" years back, when I bought theatre tickets many months in advance for a Broadway show.  In addition to their other (smaller) presents, I thought it would be a nice "after Christmas, Christmas present" for my family to spend the day out for dinner and a show in NYC after the New Year rang in.   Needless to say, my wife and kids loved their gift at Christmas and were thrilled to know we were going to do something so special all together.

Well, it was a great idea until I figured out afterwards why I could get such great seats on that date compared to others when I was looking for tickets... there was a conflict with another "religious" holiday in February called... The Super Bowl! 
:duh

Now, I always make a point of double-checking dates for everything before committing to any far off in the future plans!  Live and learn, I guess! :)

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 12:44:17 PM »
Funny! That is a major holiday for sure.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
FYI, Capital Audiofest is aiming for July 8-11, 2011 in Rockville, at the Crown Plaza Hotel.  And 2011 RMAF will be October 14-16th. 

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 04:16:18 AM »
sounds like May or June would be better months.

I think this can happen if we all chip in some effort, we all know someone

mike

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 06:02:06 AM »
Definitely!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 07:28:22 AM »
 Our LI club the Audiosyndrome would support the event as well. Need Volenteers ? Great idea.

charles
president
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

dave slagle

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »
I personally don't see the AXPONA show as a conflict and as pointed out, the next weekend is Easter.  In the near future there will be a show every other week trying to suck $3000 out of the small manufacturers pocket and obviously they cannot all survive.  I think the concept of a free local supported show is extremely powerful and will bring us back to the basics in audio and leave the bulk of the BS that exists today behind. 
I don't want to see it go into May for two reasons,  First the Lone Star Audio Fest is the 13-15th and in essence it is the inspiration for this so that is the last show I want to infringe on.  Second as the weather gets better, many of our minds leave audio.

I think moving it up a week earlier to the 7th brings it too close to the Montreal show which is a bigger draw for people in the northeast, but April 29th 30th and may 1st seems plausible. 

Going beyond that weekend I think we would need to look at mid september for the next possible dates.  Then we would need to stay a month before RMAF.

The ultimate goal is to have this be completely self promoted... If you plan on getting a room, you need to tell people.  If you know of a local small manufacturer, you need to tell them.  I don't see this as a show in the traditional sense of the word where you go to hawk your product.  As I mentioned earlier there are plenty of places to do that and they will be happy to charge you dearly for that privilege.  The lack of financial commitment will allow a number of people who are sitting on the fence to get into the mix and people already in the mix to try something new with little to no risk. 

Look at it this way.  Take two guys, to split a room for two nights and you are at a little over $100 each.  During the day set up a system and have fun or go out and listen to other rooms and have fun.  To cover the cost of the room bring your spare stuff records, cables or whatever and set up a table.  Have 4-5 local friends who don't have a room do the same and it becomes a partial audio flea market. Leave a list on the door of what is available inside and a cell number or time when you will be in the room and buyers and sellers can meet up without being tethered to a room for 8 hours.  These "non-audio" rooms will nicely fill the spaces between the audio rooms and you could actually leave with some $$ in your pocket.  The key is to get people there.  With nearly 100+million people in the northeast corridor I don't expect traffic to be a problem as long as people know about it. 

Beyond the traffic, the thing that will help the small guys is the "online press" covering the event.  I see this more like a (very) large meeting of friends with a common passion than groups of fanboys getting together.

dave

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »
I'll go and set up a booth devoted to all things "werd"
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 08:14:06 PM by Werd »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

dave slagle

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 05:48:19 PM »
How about looking at a month before RMAF?  It looks like the spring is overcrowded and Sept. 9-11th could serve as a good primer.

dave

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 06:04:54 PM »
September is beautiful weather, students are back in the city for college so they might come check us out. Looks good to me, no holidays other than Labor Day on the 5th.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 07:43:10 PM »
I Look forward to this.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »
How about looking at a month before RMAF?  It looks like the spring is overcrowded and Sept. 9-11th could serve as a good primer.

I hate to put a damper on this but that weekend will be the 10th Anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. It will be a very busy weekend in and around NYC making travel a bit on the rough side. (Not to mention all of the extra security measures that I am sure will be in place that weekend. I'm not sure how close to the City the place that you are planning on using is, but if it is anywhere near the city at all that weekend may not be as empty as it might normally be. I also think a lot of folks might be a bit spooked about flying that weekend.

Just a thought. I love the whole idea and look forwad to attending , but I would hate to see you guys put a lot of work into this only to have things get really complicated by this at the last minute.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 03:12:57 AM »
How about looking at a month before RMAF?  It looks like the spring is overcrowded and Sept. 9-11th could serve as a good primer.

dave

IMO a month before RMAF would give people the impression that "I'd have to choose.... can't go to both....".  So, either show may suffer in terms of attendance, more likely for the 3-day orgy :mrgreen:.  Why not come springtime?  May/June.... when schools/colleges are out, and we haven't yet gone on our sojourns to the far corners for family vacations, etc....  :thumb:

drews_hifi

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 10:16:57 AM »
i dont really care when it is.  we haven't had a good stereo show since VTV in Jersey, when was that?

i would pay $150 admission, maybe more, for a 3 day show w good manuf representation in the ny area.  i would prob go all 3 days, as i did for the stereophile shows.  its either that or spend a lot more to attend Montreal or RMAF.