Author Topic: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23  (Read 52583 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2010, 05:22:34 AM »
Unless the 2L BR belonged to Blockbuster...don't think you would want Blockbuster having that.

I assumed Mike meant my address on the BB envelope.

I hope he did anyway.  :roll:
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
« Reply #122 on: October 30, 2010, 01:01:39 PM »
Evan,

You just caught me.  I was trying to upload a Haloweeny pumpkin for the occasion.  I've been experimenting, to see how I can get it to work.  Haven't succeeded yet.  So, as soon as I saw the "X" in the square, I "Removed" it, obviously not fast enough to evade you, pal.  I had tried a couple of sites, uploaded to them sites, and then copied the link (URL) and inserted into here, still didn't work......  The 2 sites apparently do not permit such transfer..... A/N doesn't have any Gallery place, so I couldn't upload into the Gallery area, like on the other site where I could.....  If someone here knows how to do the upload, I'm all game to learn it.

Shek

evan1

« Reply #123 on: October 30, 2010, 01:05:02 PM »
go to preview and then towards the bottom left click on additional options

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #125 on: October 30, 2010, 05:21:04 PM »
This was what I wanted to do.  If it works, then you're the greatest, Evan, besides Rich......

Happy Holloween, Everybody!   :rofl:

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 05:23:10 PM by goldlizsts »

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #126 on: November 06, 2010, 08:02:30 AM »
Finally a little time on my hands-

Maybe a little late for "You're Welcomes" but, to all the Thank Yous, you are very welcome!. Sharen just read through the thread and also sends her You're Welcomes as well. I told her she's becoming the NYAR Den Mother yet for some reason she refused to accept the crown!

As host, you don't usually get to spend the time with the gear that you'd like, but I can say that Lukas' Lampizator DAC was excellent!! A step up from the EE dac. The Musateux (?) DAC was kinda cold and solid-statey compared to the EE and Lampizator.

I'm surprised at the lack of comment re the Modwright KWA100se (I think?) amp. Maybe we are just being nice to either Tommy (Cherry guy who is friends w/ some of us, me especially (OK, that's the disclaimer)) or Dan M, a massively respected designer who I don't think I've ever read a bad thing about. A gorgeous piece but I think the overall room balance (very damped) favored the Cherry Plus. Surely the Modwright was "smooth n' musical" but this came at the expense of excitement. I understand that the EE dac was switched to the SS output for much of the Modwright session to try to get some life back into the system. (although I had my "up-front" tube in it at the time). I now see why the Modwright is the first recommendation for SS amps that don't sound like SS amps.

I guess comparing its bass performance to that of a highly regarded (by those who have heard it) 700+ watt Class D amp isn't fair, but I saw some puzzled faces and questions of "Where did the bass go". The difference in bass performance was truly remarkable and something I could not do without.

It was also interesting to hear the imaging of each amp. To quote Clement Perry from his StereoTimes review of the Cherry Plus: "One of the strengths of the Cherry Plus lies in its ability to allow instruments a sort of corporeal existence beyond the loudspeaker's physical plane: perfect for small apartment dwellers and owners of mini-monitors. This feat is not commonplace nor is it easy to ascertain through fancy or expensive tweaks, so I would call it a major attribute of the Cherry Plus." Stunning bass performance aside, this ability to produce images that are startlingly removed from the speakers is one of the strengths of the Cherry Plus. It lives and thrives in this realm of other-worldly, freaky-type of image specificity that the Modwright barely hinted at. Sorry if my ranting over the Cherry amps seems hyperbolic - I'm actually restraining myself here - but they are that good, in the right setup. I heard a Cherry on some lean n' clean VMPS RM-40s that no one at the event liked, and sure enough the Cherry took them in the exact wrong direction. I'd imagine the Modwright would be just the ticket in this system. StereoTimes did a very good job describing what sets the Plus apart from other amps.

So I guess this is a case of system matching at work. I'm sure in the right system w/ the right material and the right expectations, the smooth Modwright would be intoxicating. But I's needs me bass and I's wants me speakers to look like they have no relationship to the music being heard and I've not heard an amp that can do this like the Cherry.

I was very impressed with Gary's (Toprounds friend, I hope his name is Gary) preamp! I forget what he said he'd charge for it but I remember thinking that it would be a stompin' bargain at that price, with no sense of bargain performance.

As for the passive attenuators, I give them a "meh" like I did at Jim's in September. If I only listened to solo female voice, maybe.

Joe, you suck!  The Kaplan Cable is excellent - I have done some swapping w/ the Pangea and while the Pan has a more gut-whomping bass, the Kaplan is far more even-handed throughout the range. I really like it!  Haven't removed the Gabriel Golds yet so don't really know what  they contribute, but certainly when we popped them in the sound took on a greater sense of ease and musicality. Very nice. Oh, you suck because I now know when I return these to you my system will sound worse than it does now!! Thanks a LOT!

Thanks, Topround, for the beautiful weather. And Mother Nature made her point by sending a 5 minute sprinkle our way, just to remind us what's waiting for next year!

Thanks again to the gang, see you around.

-Mike

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #127 on: November 06, 2010, 09:01:30 AM »
Just guessing here, but I would imagine Dan voiced his amp with his preamp.
The Modwright pre can sound very solid state and greyish in tone, with excellent size of stage. Coupled with his warmish amp, the combo could be great!

Pangea, they just plain suck, but they are cheap! Good for a printer or refridgerator if you ask me.
Great bass, but no musicality at all..

The preamp you heard was a choke coupled 6c45pi tube. With all cheap parts inside. It was built by Karl. Next step is we are going to transformer couple it with Tamura transformers!
Could be even better!  And with tube rectification done right it could be even better again!
I love the madness of it all.

I liked the Lampizator as well, very musical.
I am not really into the audiophile stuff so much anymore, I like analoguish gear than conveys truth and beauty, I need emotion to come thru, more s o than tight bass.
\
Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #128 on: November 06, 2010, 09:13:39 AM »
analoguish gear than conveys truth and beauty, I need emotion to come thru, more s o than tight bass

But I think there is the impression that "analog-type" sound means lopping of the highs, limiting the bass performance and having vague imaging.

IMHO musicality in gear does't necessarily mean you have to sacrifice excitement, imaging and bass performance. Why not have emotion AND all the other goodies? Many think they are mutually exclusive and perhaps they are, to some extent?

A system (IMHO) needs to be able to startle and stun if called upon, and to coddle and whisper. A tough act for sure.

Karl :duh Karl :duh Karl :duh.  Sorry.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2010, 09:50:30 AM »
Another Rave thought - Later in the evening we played some vinyl, and even on my relatively modest (maybe $1500 total) TT/phono pre, it did things that gave us listening pleasure that were simply unmatched by the excellent $2500 Lampizator dac or the $6000 Krell SACD Standard MkIII.

I have no idea what it is, and that's frustrating. I just don't know. Can't say. Can't describe it. Can't quantitate it. Can't measure it. Don't know what it is but it's there.

Pleasure.  I can't describe it any better.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2010, 10:08:27 AM »
+1 on the vinyl.
Something about it is special, a certain connection to the music that no digital I have heard can duplicate.
Of course digital can sound great, but it just can't do what vinyl does.
Perhaps because it does it so differently, the 2 formats go about recreating music in two very different ways.
I am not sure why as well :o
It just is.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2010, 06:19:51 PM »
I have no idea what it is, and that's frustrating. I just don't know. Can't say. Can't describe it. Can't quantitate it. Can't measure it. Don't know what it is but it's there.

Must of been.....the beat !  :rofl: (There was dancing going on.... :thumb:)

As topround Mike mentioned...."..certain connection to the music that no digital I have heard can duplicate."

That's it....more "open"....more "alive"....more "air".....but just not as convenient as a Cd.

AcidJazz

« Reply #132 on: November 07, 2010, 12:51:23 AM »
6K$? DOes one even need a DAC with that?
I think I know what the Digital front end is missing...but, can't tell you, maybe one year I will show you... :rofl:
And the LPs played weren't even 'audiophile' pressings...yet... :yay2: more bounce to the ounce.

Another Rave thought - Later in the evening we played some vinyl, and even on my relatively modest (maybe $1500 total) TT/phono pre, it did things that gave us listening pleasure that were simply unmatched by the excellent $2500 Lampizator dac or the $6000 Krell SACD Standard MkIII.

Pleasure.  I can't describe it any better.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #133 on: November 07, 2010, 05:32:14 AM »
It's a lot easier to utter the words "$6K SACD player" when it's borrowed  :thumb:

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »
[....more "open"....more "alive"....more "air".....but just not as convenient as a Cd.

But that's the way it goes in this hobby (and most other things in life , for that matter), nothin' for nothin'......
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables