Author Topic: In the Buff-alo  (Read 34777 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: In the Buff-alo
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2011, 04:27:56 PM »
I installed a beta test Belleson 1.2VDC regulator this week. 1.2V supplies the DAC chip's internal processing core. I don't know if it sounds different, but now every supply is Belleson Superpower regulated. Good stuff.  Next up is installing the balanced output jacks, and fine tuning the grounding scheme as there is a slight buzz when used with my tube amps, but silent on my SS amps.

One new thing I ran across on AC, thanks to mgalusha's post, was this USB 'transport' for Buffalo DAC: http://www.exadevices.com/exaU2I/Overview.aspx
It allows using the 8 separate channels of the ESS 9018 individually, which would be cool for a PC based active crossover setup.

mgalusha

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2011, 07:04:56 PM »
My exaDevices board arrived this week, initial test plugging into a PC works, so hopefully this weekend I can integrate it into Mr. Buffalo. Lot of coin for a little board, so hopefully a big step up.  :shock:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 07:34:06 PM »
How do you plan to use it, Mike? Stereo at first?

mgalusha

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »
Almost certainly it will never be used for multi channel. The DAC has only two output transformers and I don't see buying more but more importantly I have no plans to actively bi-amp my speakers or change to a multi channel system. I do want to try playing DSD/DXD though, some samples are out there so it will interesting. :)

How do you plan to use it, Mike? Stereo at first?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2014, 08:50:16 PM »
Today I finished upgrading my Buffalo2 DAC by adding the Legato active output stage powered by the Placid-BP bipolar shunt power supply. These DIY kit modules are offered by Twisted Pear Audio to compliment the Buffalo DAC.  I am using the earliest versions from several years ago. There are newer updated kit versions and newer user manuals available now.

Although it seemed to sound good in a few other systems, especially those with active preamps to buffer the DAC, I started to think that the DAC with only passive transformer output was sounding a bit thin in my system, and comparing it to my old Buffalo32 DAC with its built-in opamp buffers proved this to be true, although the Buff32 sounds a bit less open and refined than the passive transformers.

I assumed the thin sound was due to the lack of output buffer, but it could also have been due to the Buffalo32 running the DAC in current mode while the passive was voltage mode. The legato also runs the DAC chip in current mode by offering a very low load impedance, like 1 ohm. Then the current signal is converted into voltage signal and buffered. Legato has a true balanced signal path with discreet transistors, 5 per channel, running deep in class A and no caps in signal path.  :thumb:  There are a lot of happy Legato reviewers over the years since. But I've hear that song before...  Audio hope is dope!  But I already owned the Legato and Placid kits, so I'd might as well try them.  But I was thinking that if it didn't work out I would throw in the DIY DAC towel and get a high value, high end commercial DAC like the new stereo exasound DAC, or Zodiac, etc.

By using the discreet active Legato in combination with the transformer outputs in place of the Legato's output caps I was hoping I could keep the refined, open and natural sound of the passive transformers plus gain the bass solidity and tonal fullness of the active buffer, while also avoiding the somewhat closed-in sound of the "IVY" output stage on the Buffalo32 DAC which uses all opamps for I/V and buffer. The LM4562 used as buffer on the Buff32 is one that I particularly dislike. Legato also optionally uses LM4562 as BAL/SE output buffer so I enjoyed leaving that part of the board unpopulated.

I used only the core of the Legato without the optional discreet balanced current buffers, and with no BAL/SE (balanced to single ended) conversion stage. I replaced the Legato's large electrolytic output coupling caps with the super-awesome 80% nickle core, ultra-low distortion, wide bandwidth, professional line-out transformers that I used before as passive outputs. They eliminate the DC offset on the Legato's output and provide choice of balanced or single ended output. I am just using SE output now, but Sol has designed a simple circuit that can switch between BAL and SE jacks that I will employ eventually.

Well it was a good gamble, the DAC sounds awesome! I couldn't be happier to hear it come to life and sound so good. There is great body and presence along with with excellent space and ambiance. No closed in sound at all, and excellent tone, every bit as good as the transformers alone, probably better. Time will tell.

Today Sol and I were playing the DAC with my I-15 amp and he put on a Telarc Fanfare for the Common Man. I think it was the best sounding recorded trumpet I have ever heard. Such subtle tonal details and the exquisite comb filtering acoustic effects of the two trumpets playing in unison in the large hall plus perfectly natural and biting brass edge was an eye opener for me. I can see why you hard core audiophile types fall hard for this... Sol's amps deserve credit for allowing that kind of detail and power to get to the speakers intact, but I'm sure that this is the best source I've owned so far.

Usually it's a bit of a let-down after a day like today because some of the great sounding gear usually goes home with its owners, but today the good stuff stayed behind because it's mine! I'm pretty happy with the way my new system is coming together!

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 05:10:41 AM »
Congrats, Rich! :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 08:16:02 PM »
Took the new DAC over to Carl's this morning for a quick comparison. His is identical to mine, except without the Legato output stage. We listened to his for a long while, it was sounding so nice, good overall balance. I wasn't sure the output stage would make much of a difference when a preamp is in the mix. His is hybrid tube input/gain with discreet SS output buffer. So if ever there was a perfect load for the passive DAC chip, this was it.

But, when we switched to the new DAC, playing the same song from a minute before I literally didn't recognize it. Dynamics, punch, texture, lyric intelligibility, everything was drastically stronger. It could play much louder without distorting. Bass was clearer and some loose mid bass we attributed to room mode seemed to tighten up. We both liked it liked it a lot, but it is very much 'stronger' presentation than the gentler passive output DAC. But the treble is still perfectly natural, like any Sabre DAC, even on brass and strings, just stronger and more thrilling now.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
  So did the Buffalo roam or still at home ?? :roll:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2015, 05:42:49 PM »
Still goin... still sounds great.

Now I'd like an 8 ch version.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2015, 08:55:17 PM »
Looks good, I'd like to hear it! Why did you with multichannel kit and not the dual mono stereo?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:07 PM »
Better Call Sol!!! :lol: :lol:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 06:26:31 AM »
Better Call Sol!!! :lol: :lol:

:) I do almost every day!

Looks good, I'd like to hear it! Why did you with multichannel kit and not the dual mono stereo?

Mine is stereo Buffalo2. Only the Buffalo3 has the multichannel option. I want multichannel DAC so I can run active crossover filters on the PC.

I am using a pro audio multichannel audio interface for the purpose now, with JRiver DSP. It sounds bad compared to Buffalo so I'm doing some mods to it, upgrading the nest of "Chang" brand electrolytic caps to Nichicons. Later maybe eliminate those caps altogether. If I were smart I would stop messing around with DIY crap and just buy Exasound e28 balanced. I would listen to more music and save money in the long run. But it's been fun to do these DAC projects.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 08:55:18 PM »
Does you dac have a dual mono option? I am only asking but you might get more power output with dual dacs in mono.  Don't know what do you think?
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 09:17:49 PM »
Yeah, you're right. The more DACs in parallel, the more current you can source. But an active output stage buffers current so no shortage of power to the load. So a Buffalo uses ESS 9018 DAC chip which has 8 separate DAC channels in it, so Buffalo PCB can do either 4+4 stereo, or 8 in parallel for a mono channel per board, but then you need two Buffalos, for left and right. I guess a few peeps have done that. The ESS DAC can source 3mA per DAC, or 12mA stereo, or 24mA mono, so I was able to drive stereo 10kOhm loads with only a 1:1 tranny, non active output. I lived with that for 2 years. When i sold my old Buffalo32 to Nick I tested it and heard awesome bass and solidness that I missed with my tranny version, so I added the active output to mine and it is much better than the trannies. Now I use an active output stage which provides a nearly dead short load to the DAC to keep it in current mode where it sounds best, and then the output stage provides gigantic current to any load, like 150mA iirc. But the active output stage is unity gain, so the DAC is a little shy for voltage, only 1.4Vrms. There is a way to up the gain on the output stage, but I haven't done that yet. I have a preamp so no biggie.

The trannies runthe DAC in voltage mode, it sounds better in current mode, so you need an active I/V converter to show the dac a low impedance load, then change the current to a voltage output. That's what makes it sound good. Not all ESS9018 DACs do this.

The Buffalo 3SE is a great DAC. With Legato output stage, and Placid bipolar power supply, plus a USB input like Amenero or diyinhk makes a really great stereo DAC for <$1000