Self Medicating > General DIY

Recommend a Soldering Iron Under 75 Bucks

<< < (3/3)

Nick B:

--- Quote from: Response Audio on April 06, 2021, 08:29:09 AM ---There are a lot of good soldering irons/stations out there. My only advice is to get a unit with good reviews and affordable replacement tips. I have several very good soldering stations, desoldering stations, SMD station and several irons. Since i solder every day and irons are on 5-6 hours at a time, it can burn out irons quickly. For this reason I buy cheap irons from Parts Express.  They last me about 8 months to a year. I would rather burn up a $10 iron every year or so than burn out a $100 station.

--- End quote ---

That’s a lot of soldering.... I was just on the Parts Express website, so which one do you use?

HAL:
Still using my '70s era Weller soldering irons that are 7 watts and 40watts and going strong.  Here is the latest line:

https://www.weller-tools.com/consumer/USA/us/Weller+Consumer/Soldering+Irons

I also have a Tech temperature controlled soldering station I bought from Radio Shack decades ago and still working well.

Still using Radio Shack Eutectic 2% solder for my work.  The new EU style no lead solder does not work well even with silver content for me.

Good luck with your decision.

James Edward:
True confessions- I made some speakers back when I was 12-14, and dinosaurs roamed the earth. No one ever taught me, YouTube didn’t exist, and I winged it. Boy was I wrong. I was basically just melting and dripping the solder in place. Cold solder joint anyone? I even picked up some lingo! Fast forward to today- I’m using the Weller and just practicing, with much better results if memory serves... I appreciate the input, and maybe a kit is in my future...
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version