Self Medicating > General DIY

DIY roller blocks??

<< < (2/29) > >>

BobM:
I made them many years ago. I took some scrap wood I had lying around, oak floorboards. I cut some squares and drilled a largish hole in the middle. I cut the handles off of some soup spoons I picked up at the crack house and epoxied the spoon pieces onto the blocks, in the drilled holes so they set in better. Then I found some largish (@ 1/3" diameter) metal balls online, I don't remember where (sorry) and put 4 of them under my CD player. I did try it with a cup on top and a cup on the bottom but that didn't seem to be any better than just a cup on the bottom and the CD player riding on the ball, as long as the bottom of the CD player was even.

Al also tried large marbles, but the steel ball bearings worked better. I heard that ceramic ball bearings are harder still and would be better yet, but I didn't try that.

What I did find is that these DIY rollerballs worked best on equipment with a mechanism (CD player) and also under power supplies. Definitely not as good on tubes as squishy things.

I also found some metal oval "pucks" somewhere in the past. I bought a set in aluminum and another in brass. These are about 1" diameter and have 2 convex sides, so they wobble like a roller ball when set down. The good part about these is they don't need any cup or spoon. IMO they worked as well as the DIY roller blocks and the brass was definitely better than they aluminum sound wise.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Nick B:

--- Quote from: BobM on March 19, 2021, 05:32:40 AM ---I made them many years ago. I took some scrap wood I had lying around, oak floorboards. I cut some squares and drilled a largish hole in the middle. I cut the handles off of some soup spoons I picked up at the crack house and epoxied the spoon pieces onto the blocks, in the drilled holes so they set in better. Then I found some largish (@ 1/3" diameter) metal balls online, I don't remember where (sorry) and put 4 of them under my CD player. I did try it with a cup on top and a cup on the bottom but that didn't seem to be any better than just a cup on the bottom and the CD player riding on the ball, as long as the bottom of the CD player was even.

Al also tried large marbles, but the steel ball bearings worked better. I heard that ceramic ball bearings are harder still and would be better yet, but I didn't try that.

What I did find is that these DIY rollerballs worked best on equipment with a mechanism (CD player) and also under power supplies. Definitely not as good on tubes as squishy things.

I also found some metal oval "pucks" somewhere in the past. I bought a set in aluminum and another in brass. These are about 1" diameter and have 2 convex sides, so they wobble like a roller ball when set down. The good part about these is they don't need any cup or spoon. IMO they worked as well as the DIY roller blocks and the brass was definitely better than they aluminum sound wise.

Good luck.

Good luck.

--- End quote ---

Thanks, Bob. This is a little bit more what I was looking for....a “how to”... guide. I’m fine having spent money on my components, cabling and AC power line conditioning. But I can’t quite accept spending a huge amount of 💰 on some of these vibration control devices

rollo:
  Nick the discs under the spike are for not damaging floor nothing else. Look at Herbies Decoulpers not cheap however very affective.

charles

Nick B:

--- Quote from: rollo on March 19, 2021, 01:36:30 PM ---  Nick the discs under the spike are for not damaging floor nothing else. Look at Herbies Decoulpers not cheap however very affective.

charles

--- End quote ---

OK, Charles. Looking at Herbie’s

Jack:
Nick

Depending on the weight of the individual components you can use the Iso Acoustics Mini Pucks under them.  A pack of eight is $99 from Amazon, AA and Crutchfield.  For the Carrera's you would need five per speaker but from looking at your gear you should be fine with either three or four under each.  The Tenderfoot and Soft Fat Dots from Herbies also work great under components and speakers. 

This is an alternative to the Rollerblock brand for about a tenth of the price and the set I have seem to work the same as the set of "real" Rollerblock Jr.'s I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4PCS-Amplifier-Isolation-Stand-Feet-Speaker-Spikes-Pads-CD-Player-Turntable-Mats/274286991068?hash=item3fdcc756dc:g:yxoAAOSwGVVeVyUS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version