Self Medicating > General DIY

DIY roller blocks??

<< < (26/29) > >>

steve:

--- Quote from: Nick B on May 11, 2021, 11:41:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: P.I. on May 11, 2021, 11:13:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on May 11, 2021, 11:11:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on May 11, 2021, 10:28:34 AM ---Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and here…do expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didn’t want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrange…and there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really don’t have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When I’ve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then I’ll mess with speaker placement a bit more.

--- End quote ---

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles

--- End quote ---
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.

--- End quote ---

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, that’s what I’ll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.

--- End quote ---

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve

Nick B:

--- Quote from: steve on May 18, 2021, 01:14:00 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on May 11, 2021, 11:41:40 AM ---
--- Quote from: P.I. on May 11, 2021, 11:13:16 AM ---
--- Quote from: rollo on May 11, 2021, 11:11:04 AM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on May 11, 2021, 10:28:34 AM ---Those M6 speaker stand spikes I ordered recently are somewhere between the UK and here…do expect them any day, really.

To deviate from this thread just a bit and I didn’t want to start a new one just for this comment, but I moved my Fritzie speakers away from the wall last night and it was
a nice improvement. Seemed to be a fuller presentation, lovely detail and I love a nice midrange…and there was a bit more depth to the soundstage. I really don’t have any record tracks to evaluate sound stage depth, I just played music last night for a few hours and those were my conclusions.

When I’ve installed the speaker spikes, and the sand in the speaker stands and installed the Herbies cone/spike puckies, then I’ll mess with speaker placement a bit more.

--- End quote ---

If I were focus on placement before sand fill and spiking them. Much easier to move around. Been there done that numerous times.

charles

--- End quote ---
+1 on getting the placement right before filling the stands!  They can be a real PITA to move when full.

--- End quote ---

Well, if you and Charles both emphasize this, that’s what I’ll do tonight and the next night before I head off on my trip to California.

--- End quote ---

Yep, don't be afraid to try things Nick. The other night I was at Dan's in Mt. Pulaski and we lowered his speakers just a little and the lower ranges boosted very nicely. (His 2nd system was a little thin.)

Farther from the front wall, more depth. Separation between speakers affects the mids, width. Be careful of a middle "hole" though.

Cheers and good things Nick.

steve

--- End quote ---

Hi Steve,
I’m still in California, but heading home tomorrow. Sure have missed my music! 🎶🎶 I need to still work on placement. I would think my m6 spikes have been delivered and once placement is dialed in, I’ll fill the stands with sand (thanks toobluvr… :)

Nick B:
Well, am taking a brief break in between projects. Decided to install the m6 spikes from the UK (what a nice deal) and put them onto the Herbie’s cone/spike puckies. Fired things up mid day, (system cold) which I rarely do. What a nice improvement. Improved resolution of instrument timbre, of individual voices within a chorus, cleaner bass. This is just playing a few songs I’m familiar with.

I’ll listen a little more, then back to projects. Oh, this is without sand. Just didn’t want to get to it yet. The speaker stand top plate has 4 bolts, so it should be pretty simple to do.

Nick B:
Finally got around to buying playground sand. Nice and clean. Opened up the bag and have some in a bucket ready to go for tomorrow for the speaker stands.

steve:

--- Quote from: Nick B on March 17, 2021, 11:29:13 PM ---I saw a featured system at Agon and the owner used various footers including Eden Sound Terra Stone bearings and a guy who posted a comment said that he could elicit quite a change by simply changing the bearing materials on diy roller blocks. His wife could easily note the improvement.

What do diy roller blocks look like? Anyone tried this and used different materials? My setup is sounding so nice nowadays that isolation tweaks are absolutely worth a try. My rack is a Pangea, which is nicely built and quite sturdy. I see videos of them being used at shows. The shelves, however, are not isolated from each other.

I was looking at some ISO Gaia’s, but they’re a little pricey and I have 5 components that might benefit from resonance control. Was also at Herbie’s. Anyone used any of his stuff?

Would appreciate any thoughts/experiences.

Nick

--- End quote ---

Hi Nick,

I have some blocks that use steel balls, and the type of steel ball material makes a sonic difference in my system as well. I don't use them anymore, completely switched to isolation, and now use 12" bicycle inner tubes that are partially blown up. Walmart has them for ~$5.00 each. 

Cheers

steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version