Self Medicating > General DIY

Dampening Capacitors

<< < (2/3) > >>

Folsom:
Capacitors that get over 12v get excited physically. Under that nothing internally is causing it.

rollo:

--- Quote from: Folsom on October 18, 2019, 10:39:30 AM ---Capacitors that get over 12v get excited physically. Under that nothing internally is causing it.

--- End quote ---

Good to know thank you.

charles

P.I.:

--- Quote from: BobM on October 18, 2019, 05:10:28 AM ---try using the Moretite around the base of the cap where it joins to the board.

--- End quote ---
I use Aleen’s Tacky Glue available at crafts stores like Hobby Lobby.  It always stays flexible and can be thickened into a putty with micro balloons from hobby shops. 

rollo:
  BTW guys this tweak using the TA-102 material came from Joe Cohen of Prana Wire. CRAZY expensive wire which in my opinion is the best cable I EVER heard in my system, period end of story, I lust. Just too much money. I could not fathom the expense came real close though.

charles

Response Audio:
This really depends on the capacitor. Be careful of caps from China as they will ofen have a smaller capacitor in a larger can.
Damping a capacitor is really just damping the can itself which is a good idea as the internals of the capacitor are not always touching the can. By placing some type of damping material on the can itself, you will prevent the can from ringing or vibrating.
If you doubt this technique,  you can easily test by using a stethoscope on the top of the can before and after applying damping material. Depending on the quality of the cap, you may or may not hear a difference..
I have a unique proprietary procedue that I have used in the past that I haven't used in a while due to the expense. 😉

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version