Self Medicating > General DIY

op amp upgrade

(1/3) > >>

shep:
Just plugged in new pair of OPA627AP's to replace the OPA2134's
in my Marantz cdp. Found a guy on DiyForum who "made" them (amazing soldering job-so tiny), Dan from OK. I'm sure they need burning in but from a cold start the dif. is startling: explosive, textured, more colour, better defined sound s. Woopie! my nervosa just got fed a good meal :D

shep:
This is kind of like tube rolling (which I have never done). In spite of being vaunted as the next best think to hot buttered toast, I find myself disappointed. (That's the Nervosa talking) This is really weird because these opamps are obviously more resolving and "better" in every dept. but something is not right. I'm less involved with the music, more critical of the sound. I could be and maybe should be that I did them a mischief. When I first plugged them in I did so backwards (believe me this is easy to do)  and got almost not sound at all. So it's just possible they have been compromised in some way; I have asked about this in several places but no one seems to know. Theoretically they should have been fried. (fasted way to burn money I know) A diyer offered me the latest and greatest, the LM4562 to try out. There's got to be someone here who has gone thru this! HELP

WEEZ:
shep,

mgalusha is a technical guy..maybe he will chime in. (or, you could zip him a PM)

WEEZ

richidoo:
Sorry to hear about your trouble shep. I bet thats not exactly what you had in mind when you decided to mod...

I looked up the OPA627AP on digikey, they are only 18.38 each, in stock. It would be nice to have a set of OPA2134 DIPs so you can compare back to stock. Mouser has them for 2.63.

I have read that the LM4562 is very good. If you go that way, I am interested to know what you think.
Good luck getting it straightened out!
Rich

shep:
No it's not what I had in mind! I had the 2134 in place. Pleasant, musical but ultimately boring. I buggered them taking them out. So when and If I get the LM4562, assuming I can put them right way round, I'll report.(or I'll be too ashamed to ever mention them again)  All of these, requiring the Brown Dog adaptor, are a nightmare to solder unless you're really really good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version