Author Topic: Standards, Standards, Standards!  (Read 5388 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Standards, Standards, Standards!
« on: December 21, 2018, 05:05:48 PM »
Digital audio is a complete nightmare. On one hand it has the potential to sound awesome. On the other it is nerve wracking. I had problems with JPlay and digital audio in the past and when I saw that JPlay came out with a new piece of software promising to cure all previous ills I was all in for a reasonable upgrade charge since I was a previous customer.

Well, promises promises. I have not gotten it to work correctly since installation since....wait......THANKSGIVING!!! Yes that's right.I have been wrestling with this in one way or another. Just can't get it to be stable. Either it doesn't like the hard drive, not compatible with UPnP apps, cover art not being imported, music stops playing,uninstall, reinstall restart ,if im lucky to get it to play at all.

I will say this, when it plays it is glorious but not worth the trouble. Somebody out there needs to develop  standards which is truly a reliable standard and developers should not be able to make claims unless it meets certain criteria. reliability is key. The software industry is the only industry I know that gets away with such poor product quality. Rant over  :thumb:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
Re: Standards, Standards, Standards!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 05:25:25 PM »
I'm curious what is wrong with the Lumin app?
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:48:18 PM »
Digital audio is a complete nightmare. On one hand it has the potential to sound awesome. On the other it is nerve wracking. I had problems with JPlay and digital audio in the past and when I saw that JPlay came out with a new piece of software promising to cure all previous ills I was all in for a reasonable upgrade charge since I was a previous customer.

Well, promises promises. I have not gotten it to work correctly since installation since....wait......THANKSGIVING!!! Yes that's right.I have been wrestling with this in one way or another. Just can't get it to be stable. Either it doesn't like the hard drive, not compatible with UPnP apps, cover art not being imported, music stops playing,uninstall, reinstall restart ,if im lucky to get it to play at all.

I will say this, when it plays it is glorious but not worth the trouble. Somebody out there needs to develop  standards which is truly a reliable standard and developers should not be able to make claims unless it meets certain criteria. reliability is key. The software industry is the only industry I know that gets away with such poor product quality. Rant over  :thumb:

Jim,
That reminds me of the grief that the Squeezebox used to give me. The Auralic Mini and Roon are stable and happily co-exist. Rant acknowledged
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »
I'm curious what is wrong with the Lumin app?

JPLay and Lumin are not compatible. Let me clarify.
I have a NAS connected to the Lumin and use Minim server. That plays fine. The Lumin also allows me to play Quobuz.
I also have a laptop with JPLay and an external HDD of music. I find that when I could get it to work, operative word here is when, it is excellent. I believe it is better to play files locally than over a network. So Jplay only works with a handful of UPnP apps.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 08:05:57 AM »
I have a glorious digital rig..... that hasn't been used in I can't say how long. 
I spin vinyl.  It always works.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 11:00:08 AM »
Unless your too lazy to get up every 25 to 42 minutes.
And lets not forget the time cleaning and prepping before the diamond hits the wax.
Each have their own headaches to contend with. Choose your poison.

Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 12:20:29 PM »
I remember when I first got into the Squeezebox (long before Logitech bought Slimdevices).   I had a real love/hate relationship with it, but truth be told, I loved it for what it was - a technology well before its time.   It got me ripping all my CDs, managing flac files, worrying about metadata, and buying into the Squeezebox environment.  I think at my peek, I had two SB3s, a Duet and two Touch.   Came within a hair of buying a Transporter.   It was a sad day when Logitech bought them, and far sadder when Logitech bailed a few years later.   But LMS lived on and supported quite well in the public domain.  It's only recently that the SB Touch started being sold on eBay for less than it's original list price.

When Roon announced that it supported playback through Squeezeboxen, I jumped in and never looked back.   That was 3 years ago!  Roon continues to make significant strides.   I understand why many folks balk at buying in, but for me, the lifetime license was likely the best audio investment I've made.  Never any headaches.  It just works - whether streaming to my Squeezeboxes (which I still use), my iPhone & iPad, my Devialet Expert Pro, or through my headphone amp.   I've got RoonServer running on my PC with all my music in flac files sitting on a 2TB drive routinely backed up into the cloud.

So, no nightmare here.   Roon has made it extremely easy to just sit back and enjoy the music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 01:11:32 PM »
  Me and my server doing just fine. I do not stream anything. Rip Cd to server done use iPeng to store and playback. Then there is vinyl when its vinyl time. KISS.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 01:15:38 PM »
I have a different approach to digital audio than most of the people I know.  Comes from being an old dude with a limited problem set.  Basically I don’t care about hi-Rez files since I have several terabytes of Redbook and I simply prefer 44.1/16 done right with a great NOS DAC.  I’ve been working on one for a couple of years. 

Shameless advertisement:  if I had known about the Border Patrol DAC when I started I would have one now.

The older dB Labs Tranquility is a reasonable option when upgraded to current spec, too.

I don’t stream music for critical listening.  I have more good and favorite music than I will ever listen to and I keep adding to it.  For casual listening I just use Pandora Premium.  I don’t want or need all of the bells and whistles of Spotify or the hi-rez features of other options.  A simple man with simple needs makes my music experience... simple.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »
I remember when I first got into the Squeezebox (long before Logitech bought Slimdevices).   I had a real love/hate relationship with it, but truth be told, I loved it for what it was - a technology well before its time.   It got me ripping all my CDs, managing flac files, worrying about metadata, and buying into the Squeezebox environment.  I think at my peek, I had two SB3s, a Duet and two Touch.   Came within a hair of buying a Transporter.   It was a sad day when Logitech bought them, and far sadder when Logitech bailed a few years later.   But LMS lived on and supported quite well in the public domain.  It's only recently that the SB Touch started being sold on eBay for less than it's original list price.

When Roon announced that it supported playback through Squeezeboxen, I jumped in and never looked back.   That was 3 years ago!  Roon continues to make significant strides.   I understand why many folks balk at buying in, but for me, the lifetime license was likely the best audio investment I've made.  Never any headaches.  It just works - whether streaming to my Squeezeboxes (which I still use), my iPhone & iPad, my Devialet Expert Pro, or through my headphone amp.   I've got RoonServer running on my PC with all my music in flac files sitting on a 2TB drive routinely backed up into the cloud.

So, no nightmare here.   Roon has made it extremely easy to just sit back and enjoy the music.

+1 re Roon. It works flawlessly and I did buy the lifetime license.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 04:30:26 PM »
The best UPnP controllers / remote for Android is BubbleUPnP and if you are using iOS I would recommend mConnect.  Also, make sure that your home router allows UPnP/DLNA traffic otherwise the devices are not going to be able to see each other.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »
Unless your too lazy to get up every 25 to 42 minutes.
And lets not forget the time cleaning and prepping before the diamond hits the wax.
Each have their own headaches to contend with. Choose your poison.

Don

Don,

I had major surgery and I am on crutches for 8 -10 weeks. If you handle vinyl safely, reliable I would.  :lol: I have a very nice vinyl rig and it sounds awesome, maybe I can convince one of my audiophile friends to come over and flip vinyl for me

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 01:22:26 PM »
OK so this goes under "You cant make this shit up" category:

Deepak and I we finally able to get JPLay to work (network issue) Now got a new issue:

Im happily playing some tunes using mConnect. I go away for some lunch. come back a half hour later and load a tune up hit play and get an error message saying "File format not supported". Hmmmm ok so maybe it doesn't like 24/96 {Gee I thought I was playing 24/96 before with no problem??} So I load another  song, NG. I try to play a MP3 it doesn't like that either. So now I load the same exact songs I played a half hour earlier NG. Ok so the file format was OK 30 minutes ago but now its not good??!! WTF!!!

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2018, 03:18:22 PM »
OK so I figured I would try to use this craziness to my advantage: So I decided to wait another half hour and see if anything changes. Well It's working again. Apparently the format is OK again, who the eff knows lol.
Now I just have to figure out why the Glider app does not see the server...... :-k

Offline dflee

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 03:48:35 PM »
Hey Jim:
I was speaking of myself.
Do hope you heal quickly and after giving away over 700 lp
cringe when I think about it. Got suckered into the silver discs
and can't (don't want to) figure the streaming route just yet.

Later
Don
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.