Systemic Development > Speakers

Jupiter Copper Foil Paper and Wax Capacitors

<< < (3/4) > >>

rollo:
   Waaaay over my head. I just listen to them after break in. They take a long time to stop changing. A whole other issue. IMHO most do not put the required hours on new caps. Then give up before reaching full potential. TheDuelunds took 500 hours. V-cap was insane 900+ hours. Van Haus phone was off the hook with complaints.

charles

steve:

--- Quote from: rollo on August 21, 2020, 01:56:06 PM ---   Waaaay over my head. I just listen to them after break in. They take a long time to stop changing. A whole other issue. IMHO most do not put the required hours on new caps. Then give up before reaching full potential. TheDuelunds took 500 hours. V-cap was insane 900+ hours. Van Haus phone was off the hook with complaints.

charles

--- End quote ---

But I always have to ask the question, just how good is the sound one is hearing? Good compared to what reference?
I don't need to buy components, but the first question I would ask is what size are the coupling capacitors/output capacitor.
If the reply is less than 3uf, no matter the brand, the music will suffer from what it could have been.

Even broken in, the value makes a difference. That simple 0,47uf coupling capacitor with a 100k grid resistor means
that ~17% of the 20hz bass signal is lost, gone, is across the 0,47uf capacitor. The rest, 83% of the 20hz note is across
the grid resistor. That is what the grid of the tube sees, just 83%. At 160hz, 2% of the musical signal is gone, and even at 320hz, 1% of the musical is gone.

If the grid resistor is half the 100k ohms (50k), then double the losses. If the grid resistor is double the size (220k, which is unlikely), the halve the losses above.

Those losses are from just one stage of coupling. Add a second, third etc to one's system and the losses add. This also
applies to highs as well. The music will always be a compromise to some extent.

Using a small capacitor means the music should be too bright since the bass is reduced. So how does one fill out the music? Three ways. Fatten the bass by coupling capacitor design, truncating the highs of the cap, and improper power supply design. RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook addresses the problem of balancing the highs and bass some 70 years ago or more, so the problem is well known, but evidently not mentioned to audiophiles/music lovers.

Of course, most designs out there would probably oscillate, motorboat if the proper size caps were used. And price, well that is a killer IF the boutique brands are actually accurate, which we don't know. The cost is too expensive to even test, and who can afford the prices of multiple capacitors.

Not surprising that tube amps are known for fat, sloppy bass. Correct the problems, design a proper speaker and the bass tightens right up, and sounds quite accurate/natural, just like it should.

Cheers

steve

S Clark:

--- Quote from: rollo on August 21, 2020, 01:56:06 PM ---  . TheDuelunds took 500 hours. V-cap was insane 900+ hours. Van Haus phone was off the hook with complaints.

charles

--- End quote ---
Agree with that being insane.  In my house half a decade would go by before the VH caps would settle... and they'd certainly sound different because I'd have lost more hearing.

Nick B:
Gary Dews offered a cap upgrade on my Border Patrol SE dac using the Jupiters. Am very, very pleased with the results  :thumb:

Brap:
Big fan of Mundorf SGO's here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version