Author Topic: Quietline filters by Audioprism  (Read 7548 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Quietline filters by Audioprism
« on: October 18, 2021, 11:29:41 PM »
I have three of these. http://www.audioprism.com/quietline.html

Anyone use them and know what is in them/how they work?

The only thing they seem to do is make the sound brighter. I removed them.

Paul

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Quietline filters by Audioprism
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 04:33:55 AM »
They are fundamentally just an X or Y capacitor across the AC line, from + to -. I think there could also be a resistor in there as well. They shunt AC noise on the line to ground, giving you a cleaner electrical signal for any other component plugged into that same outlet. Great if you have light dimmers in the room or some other surge or noisy appliance on the same AC line.

If your system got brighter it's because you were hearing AC noise before.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 08:06:13 AM »
Paul,

I used a number of them many years ago….probably 6-8… and they made things sound less harsh. Got rid of them as they used up too many outlets.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »
  Do not use in system. Use at appliance outlets such as Refrig, Boiler, AC, etc.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 11:00:54 AM »
They are fundamentally just an X or Y capacitor across the AC line, from + to -. I think there could also be a resistor in there as well. They shunt AC noise on the line to ground, giving you a cleaner electrical signal for any other component plugged into that same outlet. Great if you have light dimmers in the room or some other surge or noisy appliance on the same AC line.

If your system got brighter it's because you were hearing AC noise before.

They're effective at removing high frequency noise or signals. I had trouble initially setting up TP Link AC Powerline Ethernet Adapter. The TP Link basically sends digital data over my 120V 60Hz AC lines (into my Innuos Music server). It transforms my home's existing electrical circuit into a high-speed network with no need for new wires or drilling and brings wired network to anywhere there is a power outlet... Pretty cool!

However, I had a Quietline filter plugged into the same circuit as the TP Link and it "filtered" the digital signal... Removed it & all worked! LOL!

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline malloy

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2021, 10:15:13 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your insights.

I have 7 LED light sources near the stereo, 2 have dimmers. Will try them there.

Paul

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 10:41:59 PM »
Thanks to everyone for your insights.

I have 7 LED light sources near the stereo, 2 have dimmers. Will try them there.

Paul

Yes, dimmers can be noisy, but the worst was when I’d forget to turn off the lights in the garage. Pls let us know your results.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2021, 12:52:26 PM »
I put on where the refrigerator was plugged in, another on the washing machine. I think putting them at the potential source of noise might be better than on the system outlet.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2021, 04:57:48 PM »
 :thumb:
I put on where the refrigerator was plugged in, another on the washing machine. I think putting them at the potential source of noise might be better than on the system outlet.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2021, 08:12:47 PM »

Good idea Bob. I have a few of them in my stereo junk draw that have been supplanted by other stuff in my system. I never really thought about using them in other parts of the house.

I will have to give that a try.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2021, 10:39:25 PM »

Good idea Bob. I have a few of them in my stereo junk draw that have been supplanted by other stuff in my system. I never really thought about using them in other parts of the house.

I will have to give that a try.
Don't forget to use them on the phase opposite the one your system is on.  Remember:  the Neutral is common to both phases. Load to Neutral noise contamination is common to both.  Applying a QuietLine or other Load to Neutral device is always best placed at the same point as the offender.

Offenders:

Wall warts
Refrigerator
Freezer
Dimmer
Computer
TV
Cable or satellite receiver
Digital clocks
Tool chargers - they are some of the worst
Surveillance cameras
Any lamp with an LED or fluorescent bulb.  Better yet, throw those MFers away! A couple of bucks a month is a small price to pay!

Again, if you are capable and confident to do do, go around the house once a year and tighten the screws on every receptacle and switch.  Oxidation = RFI due to micro-arcing.

Clean every plug in the house and treat with a good contact enhancer.

[sidebar: clean all of your interconnects and speaker connections regularly.  This is particularly important if you are a smoker.  Electrical connections have an affinity for smokey ions]

Do those last three things one room at a time, say every week or month to make it not a drudgery...

You will be amazed at the improvement in SQ due to noise reduction, especially in the in the context of space, depth and width of soundstage.

Again: everything effects (and affects) everything.

"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2021, 05:08:30 AM »
If you get a few .1uF X or Y rated caps and plug them into your outlet using one of those plastic electrical outlet safety caps to hold them in you will have essentially duplicated what a quiet line filter is for a fraction of the cost. You can even add a varistor to it for a little surge suppression assistance.

https://www.amazon.com/GE-Children-Electrical-Outlets-51175/dp/B00NO030NC/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=electrical%2Boutlet%2Bcap&qid=1634990826&qsid=139-9725507-1125319&sr=8-9&sres=B002YEP5QE%2CB000XMNHSC%2CB097Y71PQL%2CB076HB6YGW%2CB003ATTR8Y%2CB092QNB6YH%2CB07L5HHMK8%2CB004CMS6WQ%2CB00NO030NC%2CB081F7XBJV%2CB000HEHD4A%2CB002TXGSSO%2CB00NVSNSR0%2CB09H1ZW5GX%2CB00005U8T5%2CB002N1LLZW%2CB008KNYRVC%2CB00002NADK%2CB089G3JCV7%2CB00ATSQBY2&th=1

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2021, 02:07:53 PM »
Ive got noise coming from my speakers Ive had a couple of people over to help trouble shoot it could never find the cause. Very frustrated.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2021, 03:12:22 PM »
Ive got noise coming from my speakers Ive had a couple of people over to help trouble shoot it could never find the cause. Very frustrated.
Do tell.  Explain what you are hearing and its' level relative to a good listening SPL.

A short list of things you have tried will help, too.

Maybe between we can do the telefix thing between all of us.

:thumb:

Offline malloy

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2021, 09:50:55 PM »

However, I had a Quietline filter plugged into the same circuit as the TP Link and it "filtered" the digital signal... Removed it & all worked! LOL!

Cheers,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Were you joking when you commented about the TPLink?  I ask because I added one to my wireless extender (a Netgear) and suddenly I am getting dropouts in signal.  :?: :!:

I removed it, and the Internet works again! Can these things interfere with wi-fi and wired signals?

Anyway, I used one on the wireless extender, two more on an extension cord where all my LED lights are plugged into. I think it removed some vocal harshness  :-k

Paul