Author Topic: Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet  (Read 4340 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:06:31 PM »
I’m helping a friend refurbish a 40 year old pair of SEAS speakers. I had SG Custom Sound rebuild the crossovers, and consulted with Madisound about replacement drivers which are on the way.
The cabinets themselves seem a little ‘ringy’ to me. Since the crossovers are finished, and the drivers are spec’d for the original cabinet dimensions (it’s a 2 cabinet design, a little like a WATT/Puppy), what options are available to deaden the box? I would imagine much internal bracing would alter the volume- is this much of a concern? The woofer cabinet is ~ 59 liters.
Would a Dynamat product be a solution? Or am I overthinking this? Would a few crossbars inside make much of a difference to the box volume to affect much of anything?
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. My friend is a carpenter and craftsman, so most ideas could probably be implemented without much trouble.
Thanks as always.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Jack

• Certifiable
Re: Beefing Up An Old Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:24:17 PM »
Might want to ask Danny at GR Research.
JVC QL-Y7 w/ Denon DL-301 Mk II
Vista Phono II
Jays Audio CDT3 Mk III
Supratek Cabernet
Kinki Studio EX-B7's
Holo Audio May KTE
Auralic Aries G1
Verity Otello
(2) Rythmik F12SE
TWL PC's
Audio Envy IC, PC, SC
Inakustik USB, I2S
PSA Stellar P3
Uberbuss

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 08:31:23 PM »
Crossbars would have a negligible effect of the volume and are usually a good idea ( I like dowel rods).  For damping side walls, the No Rez that Danny sells is a good product. It also has little effect on internal volume, since it is mostly a very dense open cell foam.  It does need a clean surface to stick. 
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 08:34:36 AM »
Crossbars would have a negligible effect of the volume and are usually a good idea ( I like dowel rods).  For damping side walls, the No Rez that Danny sells is a good product. It also has little effect on internal volume, since it is mostly a very dense open cell foam.  It does need a clean surface to stick.

Sound advice. Agree 100%.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 02:08:25 PM »
Just a follow-up… I’ve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-1-1-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-535
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. I’ll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say I’ll TRY and post some pics!
Rebuilt crossovers done by Scott at SG Custom Sound Douglaston, NY
Drivers from Madisound- Brian was VERY helpful in getting drivers that fit and corresponded to the original T/S parameters.
I guess the proof will be in the pudding when these are finally together.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 02:32:03 PM »
Just a follow-up… I’ve settled on this- it will serve to beef up the box a bit and also eliminate the need for the fiberglass insulation, resulting in a neater project.
https://www.parts-express.com/Sonic-Barrier-1-1-4-3-Layer-Damping-Material-w-PSA-18-x-24-260-535
My friend still wants to refinish the cabinets, but the crossovers are rebuilt, and the speaker drivers are in. I’ll post some pics when these babies are singing. I should say I’ll TRY and post some pics!
Drivers from Madisound- Brian was VERY helpful in getting drivers that fit and corresponded to the original T/S parameters.

Yes, pls keep us posted. As to posting pics, I feel your pain… I’m able to post online pics, but none from my iPhoto library….  not yet at least  :lol:  the old heic, jpg, jpeg problem
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 08:14:52 AM »

Decent choice however No-Rez is King in that department. I would install wood dowels forced into place to stiffen cabinet. Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 07:20:42 AM »
They are finally together- after two years! I’ll figure out a way to get some pictures on here. They sound good too- props to SG Custom Sound for the crossovers, and Madisound for all the back and forth regarding drivers that would fit both the cabinet and original specifications- these were purchased in 1980!
A little tung oil rub and the cabinets don’t look too shabby either.
Thanks to all who gave suggestions.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 09:56:46 AM »
They are finally together- after two years! I’ll figure out a way to get some pictures on here. They sound good too- props to SG Custom Sound for the crossovers, and Madisound for all the back and forth regarding drivers that would fit both the cabinet and original specifications- these were purchased in 1980!

Great news! Would enjoy seeing the pics. Any idea what format the pics you’ll be posting are? jpeg,jpg, heic…?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 10:13:00 AM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 10:03:28 AM »
Pictures!!
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »

Great news! Would enjoy seeing the pics. Any idea what format the pics you’ll be posting are? jpeg,jpg, heic…?

+1
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe