Author Topic: Interest in a G2G at my place on Saturday or Sunday, Nov. 22/23?  (Read 17323 times)

Offline RichardS

• Seeking Help
Re: Interest in a G2G at my place on Saturday or Sunday, Nov. 22/23?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 06:16:54 PM »
Another thanks to Shane (and Melissa). Got there a little late and was bummed to see Rich and Carl leaving, but had a great time anyway -- talking audio and listening.

Shane demonstrated the SAM on the Devialet, switching it in and out -- very cool. It really extended the bass and impact on the little Harbeths. I just bought a Devialet for my living room and, though it's still braking in, I already like it better than the Aluminati NCores it replaced.

Through the PS Audio DAC and bigger Harbeths, the Unison was VERY seductive on voices. The AMR wasn't quite as sweet, but the guitar plucks were particularly nice and quick.

Had a listen to the top Audeze headphones and was impressed over what my AKG 701s sounded like, very full and powerful -- though I'm still not a headphone guy -- I like to imagine the performers in frot of me. Didn't listen to them but the Senn 700 was the most comfortable headphone I've ever tried on.

Thanks, Shane. You're a great host!

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
Thanks to Shane and Melissa for hosting today. Great to see everyone. Very interesting new gear, new ideas, new directions. Got me thinking. Looking FWD to the next time already.

Oh no!!! A thinking Rich can be a very dangerous thing.  :rofl:

Where to now professor?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
Another thanks to Shane & Melissa, for allowing us to invade their home  :rofl:!

It was great to see some of the guys...been way too long. Very little listening done, but it was well worth the trip. Both sets of Harbeth's sounded really nice. Why do the electronics keep getting so darned expensive???

Thrilled to see you back into the audio business, so continued great success. A nice plus is that we can sometimes get some really nice deals, thanks Shane!!!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 08:33:11 PM »
Where to now professor?

Just steady on, I like where it's going now... but I've always wanted a powerful headphone amp for my AKG701s, they never quite play loud enough with my portable players.

Talking with Sol today about building the analog active crossover, he cleared up a bunch of questions and assured me it will sound good.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2014, 03:24:50 AM »

Anyone bring a camera? :)
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline stereofool

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2014, 07:32:04 AM »
NOPE  :)!
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline jtwrace

• Seeking Help
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2014, 08:38:31 AM »

Anyone bring a camera? :)
Fortunately no. 

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 05:43:42 AM »
I took 2. I'll try to get 'em posted soon. ;)
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline jtwrace

• Seeking Help
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
I took 2. I'll try to get 'em posted soon. ;)
-C
I really hope neither of me...I hate my pictures on the net. 

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 01:13:02 PM »
you're not alone Jason....  at least the running joke for many years was to post pictures of my derriere as I was bent over an equipment rack swapping cables around and hooking up different gear :)

Thanks to everyone that dropped by.  I had a grand ol' time.  It ended up in two waves, essentially... and then Sol and I went until close to 3AM building some cables together and listening to the latest iterations of his integrated amps... the i15 was a favorite of mine.  Crazy good for how much he's got in the parts for it.

I'm already anxious for the next one... I learned a few things on equipment setups this time that should help when I have to hook up a bunch of stuff for headphone centric meet the next time... I already ordered up some longer power cords and more power conditioning equipment :)

I really like what the SAM processing does on the Devialet.  If I had my life depending on choosing only one system setup instead of having all these options to use :), I'd probably gravitate more toward the Unison Research setup since it is more my kind of sound... but it would be hard to give up what the Devialet does, or the splitting of the different sonic signatures that the AMR does... 

I finally got a chance Sunday, a day late, to take some measurements of the REL Gibraltar subwoofers... wow they were really off (still liked the sound of them that way though ;) hahaha)  sounds even better in the big system right now...  and swapped some cables around in the devialet/m30.1 setup and like that sound balance a bit better, too.... damn, I really did slap this together too soon before I had everything dialed in better....  maybe a few folks will want to hear the 2 channel when they come for the headphone focused meet and I can play things in reverse this time :)

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......