Author Topic: Is it time for me to upgrade from my VPI classic 1 TT?  (Read 4502 times)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Is it time for me to upgrade from my VPI classic 1 TT?
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
hey guys,
      Been thinking a little about my next system upgrade and I'm wanting to get some input.  here's where I am now:  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=systems;sa=view;id=810   

Of course it's hard not to get excited after reading the LINN,  Well Tempered, Kuzma talk that's been going on here lately.   Also, heard my friends  TW acustic AC3, TW acustic arm, dynavector xv-1t,  with Tron seven reference phono, and have to say it is awesome, as it should be.

Would a new TT be a reasonable upgrade?   I imagine I could recover ~2k  from selling used VPI, ring, SDS, etc to apply to new vinyl front end.    Would be able to spend another 3-5k new money  to bring the total TT cost to ~7k.  I'd love to find something used/demo/mint condition.
I like my Ortofon cadenza black enough to keep it.

If you've owned a VPI table and any of the above I'd like to hear your thoughts on my next step.

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Is it time for me to upgrade from my VPI classic 1 TT?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
Keep the SDS no matter what you do, unless the new TT has its own speed controller.

As for the Classic 1 ... it is a very good table. I don't think you need to run out and replace it immediately. I personally believe the phono stage is the most important part of a vinyl setup and the piece often most overlooked. With a great phono stage you can get a great cartridge and make heavenly music on a halfway decent table.

That's the weak link that I would look into if I were you and on the upgrade track.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »
 + 1 on Bob's recco. Now which phonostage ? The Nervosa begins. The new Miracle Audio phonostage a SS unit impressed the heck out of us at our Sept. meeting. the quietest most dynamic phonostage I have heard.
   For a tubed unit there are many choices Hagerman is a good place to start.

charles
SMA

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

jsaliga

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
Let me provide a different perspective since I am in the process of (possibly) upgrading some components in my vinyl rig.  Actually, I thought I was pretty much decided on buying a Fosgate Tube phono preamp, Benz Ruby Z cartridge, and Cinemag 1131 SUT.

But I haven't ordered the stuff yet.  Why not?  Well, because I haven't been able to get the purchase past the part of me that is critical of and scrutinizes any audio equipment purchase.  And it really is that simple.  In order for me to spend money on gear I have to justify it and have some concrete expectations about what spending the money is going to do for my music enjoyment besides giving me a few new toys to play with.  Once the novelty and newness wears off the new purchases will be just other gear in your set up.

I like the way my vinyl set up sounds right now, so I was not entering into these purchases to solve some sort of perceived deficiency in the sonic character in my vinyl playback rig.  My current set up is no slouch: SOTA Star Sapphire table, SME 309 arm, Ortofon Jubilee cartridge, and RSA Nighthawk Li On battery powered phono preamp.

I budgeted up to $5,000 for my upgrades.  But the more I think about it the more I am questioning whether or not this truly is an upgrade.  More money does not necessarily equal better sound.  And when I ask myself the question where I would get better value and enjoyment: spending $5K on vinyl gear or spending $5K on records it isn't even a close call.  I would rather have the music than the gear.

I will probably follow through on my plans despite the misgivings.  I need another high quality cartridge since I don't have a backup.  But the other stuff is still very much up in the air and I probably will not pull the trigger on that until the critical part of me gets comfortable with the idea.

I suggest you set some clear goals for your upgrade strategy and look at what you want to accomplish with your audio dollars.  Too many audiophiles justify the money they spend after the fact by giving testimonials about how much better their system sounds.  While I agree that having better sound is a possible outcome, I have also observed that there are often many self-fulfilling prophecies in audio (it sounds better because I bought better and more expensive gear).

Try to identify where your current setup is lacking before you embark on an upgrade path.  Alternatively you can throw a lot of money at it and hope for the best.

--Jerome

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 12:50:05 PM »
I think your pre is a keeper, next rung up would be something like Steelhead.  Jerome is right about setting goals; consider what you like and dislike about what you have now.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 05:17:43 AM »
I'm with Jerome, what exactly are you trying to improve?
Have you been to a Rave/GTG and heard a vinyl presentation that made you think, "Geez, my system doesn't do 'THAT' as well"?

And not for nothing, but what tubes have you rolled through the pre, I would think different 12ax7s could flavor the sound to something you might be happier with.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 06:22:53 AM »
appreciate the feedback so far. Great points, hence my desire to get a reality check. 

I've heard a stellar vinyl rig, ( TW acustic/dynavector/Tron) I'm not sure I will ever spend that much ( $40k  retail), and even a few thousands spent on an upgrade might be a lateral move anyway, especially since I have no clear goals. 

Here's my to do list:
1) tube roll in the phono pre 
2) correct the bass problems (DEQX related)

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 06:42:09 AM »
  Well said Jerome.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.