Author Topic: Phonostages: To Tube or Not to Tube That is the Question  (Read 8761 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Phonostages: To Tube or Not to Tube That is the Question
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
I am told it will take 50 hrs to break-in this new cartridge... can't wait to hear what'll it sound like then...

Pete,

Don't forget to recheck your set-up geomotry after the 50 hours is up (especially the VTA). On a new cart as the suspension starts to loosen up it is possible that the postion of the stylus with relation to the cart body can change. Not a huge amount but certainly enough to leave you with a sub-optimal set-up.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
you might want to try the Cinemags stepups, very good for the  money, and they also have a no holds barred version as well which I have not heard but would love too.

The 834 is on my short list, just to mod and see how far it can go, and if the mods are worth it

Well there is Bob's  step up device for $349 which uses the cinemags.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 03:11:43 PM »
 Pete the Clearaudio should add some richness without being dull. A fine match for your system IMO.
  ENJOY!!!!

charles
SMA
One word - WOW! On my 3rd LP, it's everything my Grado Reference Sonata was but much more extension (both ends), imaging, soundstaging, better cohesiveness from my horns, all improved, horns really sound real. In an adjoining room while listening, it seems "real", like you're in a club...

Also, what a great tracker & also very, very quiet... I thought my phono stage was pretty quiet... now it's dead silent... I must of had some slight hum attributed to the Grado...

I am told it will take 50 hrs to break-in this new cartridge... can't wait to hear what'll it sound like then...

Anyone want to come over next Saturday for a listen?

Pete

Maybe I can make it

How about 1 PM on Saturday for a listen??

That not only includes Evan but all my audio buddies as well...  :thumb:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:07:42 PM by Triode Pete »
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS