Author Topic: advice for a french newbie  (Read 3363 times)

shep

advice for a french newbie
« on: October 10, 2011, 03:05:10 PM »
Unexpectedly a turntable I sold years ago was returned to me. It's a C.J. Walker circa 1978 I think, maybe later, with a Rega 300 arm. There's something wrong with the cart. I suspect, since he had fierce distortion and got disgusted. The cart is a Roksan Chorus Black. The replacement stylus is was too expensive, something like 350$. Anyway I am giving this thing away to a French guy who is overjoyed but doesn't have much experience. I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with the arm. I did the adjustment years ago and it hasn't moved since. Any ideas for a cheapoo but good sounding cart. I could suggest to him would be welcome.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: advice for a french newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
Moving coil denon 103 or 103R(even better)

I am playing with a SHure 97xe and it is very good! and only $60.
The V15Type V MR is supposed to be killer and they are now making replacement stylii for the Shure line!

There are many great carts out there but these 2 are no brainers and cheap
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
Moving coil denon 103 or 103R(even better)

I am playing with a SHure 97xe and it is very good! and only $60.
The V15Type V MR is supposed to be killer and they are now making replacement stylii for the Shure line!

There are many great carts out there but these 2 are no brainers and cheap
I'm currently using a 97xe and it does sound nice, but since I've changed some other things around it's a tad on the warm side. 

As for the V15 Type V MR, someone is asking $500 on Agon.

shep

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 11:34:28 PM »
Thanks. I had forgotten Shure. Audio Technica makes some good cheapies too I think. So he does in fact have a good choice.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 11:42:49 PM »
I would think anything in the Grado Prestige series would work well in that TT/Arm. Prices as low as $60.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Grado-Labs-Prestige-Series-Phono-Cartridges
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:32:20 AM »
The Sumiko Oyster, Pearl and Black Pearl are all nice sounding MM cartridges under $150.  They know what they are doing when it comes to phono stuff.  They make reasonably priced high quality tonearms, too.

I also like the Denon 103.

shep

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:29:54 AM »
Well he bought the Shure so that's that. Hope it works well with the Rega arm, which as we know, isn't adjustable in it's original form. Azimuth nada, VTA nada. Piss poor design even if well made.