Author Topic: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL  (Read 35562 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 04:51:39 AM »
Hi there Ev,

I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you since I have  ProJect TT also, which I think uses the same arm.

I can never seem to get the position of the loop that holds the anti-skate wire right. When I do what's in the manual (hard to interpret and implement, IMO), one part of the arm (not the arm, but the ring thingy that holds the arm) will actually hit the anti-skate string as the arm is at the very inner part of a record.

- Does your AS string clear all parts of the arm at the very inner grooves of the record, and by how much?  At which AS groove on the TT?

I really don't like the AS setup on this arm - Can't be good to have something that is swinging side to side being attached to the tonearm  :duh  I sometimes just take the damn thing off and swear it sounds better.

- If you want you can check out my Speed Box MKII, or Tube Box SE phono stage.

- I also have the fancy ProJect cartridge alignment tool which is made for our arms. Feel free...

- I find that my belt always sticks to the platter (sign that I don't use the TT enough I guess) and I have had one belt deteriorate on me - Brittle to the point that it crumbled in my hands.

- Whorin' for my bro here, but he is a ProJect dealer so if you need anything else...

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2011, 05:03:05 AM »
Meant to add that my 2 ch room will be taken down for a bit as the mother in law is moving in temporarily (insert joke here) since her house was pretty demo'd in the flood.

My Cherry Plus is already in Dave's store pushing 802 Diamonds. (But I don't think the Krell Showcase HT preamp there is up to the task, knowing how my VAC pre works w/ the Cherry...)

So I have no prob leaving the phono goodies with you for a while

evan1

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2011, 05:33:36 AM »
Hi there Ev,

I'm looking forward to comparing notes with you since I have  ProJect TT also, which I think uses the same arm.

I can never seem to get the position of the loop that holds the anti-skate wire right. When I do what's in the manual (hard to interpret and implement, IMO), one part of the arm (not the arm, but the ring thingy that holds the arm) will actually hit the anti-skate string as the arm is at the very inner part of a record.

- Does your AS string clear all parts of the arm at the very inner grooves of the record, and by how much?  At which AS groove on the TT?

I really don't like the AS setup on this arm - Can't be good to have something that is swinging side to side being attached to the tonearm  :duh  I sometimes just take the damn thing off and swear it sounds better.

- If you want you can check out my Speed Box MKII, or Tube Box SE phono stage.

- I also have the fancy ProJect cartridge alignment tool which is made for our arms. Feel free...

- I find that my belt always sticks to the platter (sign that I don't use the TT enough I guess) and I have had one belt deteriorate on me - Brittle to the point that it crumbled in my hands.

- Whorin' for my bro here, but he is a ProJect dealer so if you need anything else...

I'll check into it. Which project do you have ? And most definitely would love to check out the speed box and pre. The speedbox is said to do wonders. Nora jones is sounding good. I mounted the Ortofon but the stylus is no good. I contacted the seller even though it said used according to Ebay it has to be in operational order. I want my money back.

evan1

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2011, 05:34:50 AM »
Other then the occasional ticks and pops I think I likey. It seems to have more depth than CD. I'll have to dig out my Nora CD and compare. :thumb:

I'm soaked :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 05:47:23 AM by evan1 »

evan1

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2011, 05:37:29 AM »
Perhaps I should have broadened my statement to say say that one of the differences I always notice between the two formats is the difference between how quiet or "black" the background is on vinyl compared to CD.
 Mind you,I am not set up for Hi-Rez playback yet, perhaps the background will be as quiet as vinyl.
It would be nice if this were the case.
Scotty

I think I know what you mean. I'm going to try and compare later.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:02 AM »
Which project do you have ?

Perspective Carbon.  Currently using AT440MLa, but I think I'm hearing a channel imbalance and too much hum.

It ain't easy...

evan1

« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2011, 06:00:34 AM »
Got aquestion. I remounted the Oyster cart. How do I know if its in the same position as it was from the factory ?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 06:11:41 AM »
Got aquestion. I remounted the Oyster cart. How do I know if its in the same position as it was from the factory ?

You can guess.....just watch where you step... :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2011, 06:12:20 AM »
Well, unless you have some form of protractor, and used it before you removed the Oyster, I don't know how you can be sure on re-mounting the position is the same.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2011, 06:14:24 AM »
Well, unless you have some form of protractor, and used it before you removed the Oyster, I don't know how you can be sure on re-mounting the position is the same.

It came in the box. I'll have to figure out how to use it. Richie calling Richie :rofl:

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2011, 07:17:19 AM »
Shit, whenever I need an alignment I just buy another TT!  :rofl:  The one alignment I did came out good but took a while using a protractor for Technics printed on a piece of paper off the internet. Like this:
http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge-alignment-protractors.shtml

I think ProJects use a Baerwald alignment.

Too bad about the oyster.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:19:16 AM by richidoo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2011, 07:42:22 AM »
Evan, there are several templates that you can use for alignment. If that works dot to dot then the overhang is usually spot on too. Then set the tracking force and snti-skate. If its a MM type then VTA is usually not too critical, but if its a MC then VTA becomes uber important.

Good luck,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2011, 07:57:52 AM »
I used the one it came with and it is aligned.

The table also came with 3 small discs a little smaller than a dime, does anyone know what they are for ? The manual doesn't say anything about it.

evan1

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2011, 08:00:06 AM »
Just checked Craigslist and there is alot of garage sales this weekend around my area listing records for sale. :thumb: