Author Topic: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL  (Read 35563 times)

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 05:23:09 PM »
VV is across the street from Menlo Park Mall.

The Expression would benefit from a Speedbox and a better Cart. Don't think you're hearing everything it's capable of with the Oyster. I had the OM20 on my Debut, but you can easily do better than that.

My VPI sale is supposed to close on Sunday, knock wood. Think Gene's Scout is still available. Someone on LI selling a Classic. That table would probably blow the Expression away.

evan1

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »
VV is across the street from Menlo Park Mall.

The Expression would benefit from a Speedbox and a better Cart. Don't think you're hearing everything it's capable of with the Oyster. I had the OM20 on my Debut, but you can easily do better than that.

My VPI sale is supposed to close on Sunday, knock wood. Think Gene's Scout is still available. Someone on LI selling a Classic. That table would probably blow the Expression away.

Yep just mapquested it. 29 minutes away. Close to my brother in law. Much closer than Prex. Anyway can't get Falafel on the way to Prex anymore so maybe I go a new direction

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

evan1

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
Playing with the Soundsmith mmp3 phono pre now. Background is more quiet than the JJ Tesla . Where does this guy get toys so quickly :duh :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2011, 05:33:53 PM »
Yup.

And Mike is right, it doesn't have to be expensive, but it does have to be setup right.

And tubes are so sweet with vinyl.

I think my DV is starting to reach the breakin point, sitting here surfing the net for tube-based headphone amps, but keep getting distracted by the music. Right now being yanked by Garcia's "To Lay Me Down".

Perhaps I should have broadened my statement to say say that one of the differences I always notice between the two formats is the difference between how quiet or "black" the background is on vinyl compared to CD.
 Mind you,I am not set up for Hi-Rez playback yet, perhaps the background will be as quiet as vinyl.
It would be nice if this were the case.
Scotty
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 05:36:57 PM »

Yep just mapquested it. 29 minutes away. Close to my brother in law. Much closer than Prex. Anyway can't get Falafel on the way to Prex anymore so maybe I go a new direction

There is a falafel joint somewhere in Princeton :-).

evan1

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 05:38:57 PM »

There is a falafel joint somewhere in Princeton :-).

Yes there is , it must have closed it was called " Chaya's Fabulous Falafel Emporium"

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »

Yes there is , it must have closed it was called " Chaya's Fabulous Falafel Emporium"

Hmm, I think I know the owner of that joint.  Will have to ask her to start it up again once the basement is up and running again  :thumb:

evan1

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 05:55:17 PM »
I was going to try out the Ortofon cartidge but I can't find a screwdriver the right size for the mounting screws. I need something with a thin head. May have to grind down one of my small screwdrivers.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:08:21 PM by evan1 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
Where does this guy get toys so quickly :duh :rofl:

You have too many friends in this hobby. You will never escape!

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 06:54:12 PM »
I need something with a thin head. May have to grind down one of my small screwdrivers.

Just drop trou.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2011, 07:09:09 PM »
My stylus has some problems... so no vinyl right now.
I am playing CD'd right now
and you know what?!  They suck compared to vinyl.
Evan...The Wes thing just happened even Joe had no idea until I told him.

BTW the difference is striking
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 07:29:27 PM »
My stylus has some problems... so no vinyl right now.
I am playing CD'd right now
and you know what?!  They suck compared to vinyl.
Evan...The Wes thing just happened even Joe had no idea until I told him.

BTW the difference is striking

Still going to close up the fence :rofl:

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2011, 04:04:31 AM »
Now wouldn't it be sweet if your vinyl sounds better than his? I think you should shoot for that goal and just embarrass him.

and Rich is right, there is no going back now. Us vinyl-philes have you cornered.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.