Author Topic: Kuzma Stabi  (Read 16006 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Kuzma Stabi
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:11:20 PM »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Kuzma Stabi
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 06:03:40 AM »
my friend had that table...it was excellent
Kuzma makes great products, real science and engineering behind them, with some outstanding manufacturing skills
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:44:40 AM »
Why is 12" arm better than 10"?

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:10:08 AM »
It is supposed to have better tracking distortion, or less distortion, some people say it is at the expense of rigidity, and a 12 inch has to be setup dead on with geometry or it exxagerates the flaws of its setup.

12 inch arms are cool looking and expensive, but most of the top arm designs are 9 or 10 inchers, which might say something(or not)
You can buy a Fidelity Research fr64s for about 1500 to 2000, the 12 inch version the fr66s is about 6000 to 8000, sort of crazy no?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 07:49:29 AM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:55:56 AM »
Thanks Mike. Crazy price for crazy fun right? Still less than a Ferrari.  :thumb:

What's amazing is the difference that the increased radius from needle to pivot makes to the sound, while the actual angle changes are extremely small. I guess tracking angle is very sensitive. Why hasn't linear tonearms research continued? Or swing arms with mechanical geometry that holds the stylus in perfect tracking? Masters are cut with linear arms, right?

Our Mike has this Stabi/Stogi rig and I've heard it couple times, sounds really great.   I always loved the look of it.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »
Yup, still loving mine!  Unfortunately, I don't spend as much time listening to it as I once did.  It seems the pace of life coupled with the ease of digital makes me lazy.   But, I did spend some time with it recently after cleaning up some recently acquired used vinyl - forgot just how great vinyl sounds! 

The new 12" Stabi/Stogi seems a bit pricey and I have to wonder at that price point if it's the way to go.  On the other hand, perhaps the release of this 12" version will make the original cheaper - or perhaps more available on the used market.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 09:42:51 AM »
I see, so yours is a shorter arm. It's still called Stogi arm so I thought this review was the same rig as yours.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 10:22:38 AM »
Like anything analogue, nothing is perfect. Linear arms reduce tracking angle issues but they definitely have issues of their own. The biggest being the stylus, although perpindicular to the groove, has to stay centered in the groove. These arms need to move immediately and freely with zero friction in order to do this as the groove shifts ever so slightly from side to side.

Well, since that is impossible what happens is the stylus is it bends left and right trying to move the bulky back end of the arm to one side or the other. This causes some mean tracking errors and "yaw". It costs lots of cash to do this right with an air bearing design. But still they remain finicky and a little bit of dust and dirt on the sliding surface and it's over until you clean it. 

Like I said, there is no perfect answer.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 10:51:38 AM »
So a cutting lathe probably has gear driven cutter advance. Thanks bob

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 11:46:01 AM »
I heard the Kuzma 4 point tonearm a few times on 2 different tables and was very very impressed!
Big, bold beautiful images, it ain't cheap but it is worth it if you got the desire and the cash

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »

Reviewed in Sept Stereophile

So the head pivots left and right, and up and down to maintain perfect angle to the groove at all times?

http://puremusicgroup.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=145

musicfile

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 04:55:56 PM »
The Kuzma Stabi is a very nice TT
I was very much impressed with the sound
I did however prefer a Lenco TT in a Modified Plinth
I thought it had better PRAT with that same ballsy sound

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 05:35:59 PM »
What I have is called the Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S.  Now I'm wondering if the S originally stood for 'Short'.   

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 05:47:15 PM »
Stubby?

Small?

Scanty?

Skimpy?

Sparse?

Stunted?

Shrimp?

:rofl:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
Rich - who you callin' stubby, small, scanty....  :rofl:

I'm thinking S = Sexy!   But then there's the whole 9" vs 12" thing and the conversation tanks quickly  :duh

6 Moons review of the original:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/kuzma/kuzma.html
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 05:51:32 PM by mdconnelly »