Author Topic: My CD Player broke! And I don't care!  (Read 9017 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: My CD Player broke! And I don't care!
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
I heard a $900 turntable today in a very good system, that simply blew me away. :drool:

It was better than 90% of most systems I have heard.
Of course system synergy was working its mojo, but for those afraid of vinyl you would be suprised at how far you can go with so little  8)

Don't be afraid it is easier than you think
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 04:54:24 PM »
Yes! I was very happy with the sound of my first TT rig, it was <$500 altogether, table, cart, phono amp and wires. The new rig is awesome, <$1500. But my listening is still 80% digital, that's where my fav music is.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 09:34:02 AM »
I have the same issue; that the music I like isn't on vinyl... or at least most of it isn't. 

And that's partly because my favorite music changes as new stuff comes out or I discover it.. I find it very difficult to discover new music on vinyl... It takes more time and work than I have.

So I'm going the other way... I'm selling the TT and improving the digital...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »
I have the same issue; that the music I like isn't on vinyl... or at least most of it isn't. 

And that's partly because my favorite music changes as new stuff comes out or I discover it.. I find it very difficult to discover new music on vinyl... It takes more time and work than I have.

So I'm going the other way... I'm selling the TT and improving the digital...

Hey, it's all about the music, so you have to go where you have to go. This may freak so people out, but after years of being a die hard analog guy I am listening to more and more CDs. One because of the same type of thing Carl was talking about, simple software availability. But secondly, and this is something I never expected to happen, but my new power amp (the ARC VT-200) is really making my CDs sound much better. I don't know if it is just the tubes taking the edge off the digital or something else, but I am very impressed to the change for the better it made to my digital front end.
Now 99.9% of the time the CDs still do not best the vinyl on the same album, but they have become very listenable to the point where I can now sit down and really enjoy a CD without thinking about it being digital. Yes there are still things that I will want to have on vinyl, but it will now be because I want them, not because I feel have to get the vinyl. Not to mention the fact that I now get to enjoy all kinds of things that are not available on vinyl (or at least not at a reasonable price anyway - anything can be found if you put enough money on the table.  :roll: )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables