Author Topic: stuff and nonsense  (Read 6748 times)

shep

stuff and nonsense
« on: November 18, 2010, 09:07:10 AM »
HiFi-Tuning El Supremo Fuses  HiFi-Tuning, an award winning German company by Bernd Ahne that specializes in audiophile tweaks and accessories, now offers their El Supremo black ceramic fuses. The new line of Supreme fuses is handmade, tip-to-tip of 99% silver combined with 1% 24 karat gold. This is similar to the material used in the highly desired Mundorf Supreme silver/gold capacitors. Mundorf developed for HiFi-Tuning a special silver/gold solder for use in the Supreme fuses. The fuses have also been resonance-optimized to control vibration. According to HiFi-Tuning, "The drawing process for silver (or copper) wire causes micro cracks in the surface of the wire. The cooling process also results in imperfect crystal grid structures. Both of these 'deformities', relative to the ideal of a perfect conductor, result in surface distortion when current flows through the wire. The addition of 24 karat gold fills the micro cracks and the empty spaces between the crystal boundaries to improve transmission properties, while also inhibiting the surface oxidation and tarnishing that will occur over time otherwise." These custom, precious metal fuses are also cryogenically treated using Europe's only cryo system from Cryogenics International USA. Finally, the Supreme fuses are treated with a proprietary quantum level process. Introductory pricing is $50 each for the 0.75" (5x20mm) small size and $75 each for the 1.25" (6.3x32mm) large size.
Now I am as much of a tweak freak as any man. I hear what I hear and if it's a placebo effect, so what? but this is just a bit over the top. Probably if I had the money I would buy these, just to feel good. I am generally very careful with my gear and have avoided over the years distroying anything, including myself (well I'm still here to talk about it  :duh)
So if you want to save a lot of money (and proceed with care) remove the fuses from your CDP and solder a piece of solid core silver wire (insulated or not, fine-guage) across the traces of the fuse holder or if you want to do it the easy way, take some very fine sand paper and etch the fuse holder clips and then solder the wire. Why silver? because it is a good conducter and I had some. It works, costs next to nothing and probably sounds better than 75$ fuses. And yes I would do this to my amp but I have never figured how to take it apart without everything falling asunder.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 09:13:28 AM by shep »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: stuff and nonsense
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 09:17:25 AM »
  There has to be a time to just say NO. I'm with you. I would need [ 8] @ $75. $600 for fuses. For $600 upgrading ones power supplies would be a better choice. Just say no. Qui .

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 02:18:04 PM »
more details...
http://www.avguide.com/article/high-end-ceramic-fuses-hifi-tuning-promise-better-sound-quality

shep, is it OK with you if I change the Subject of your OP to "HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses?"  That will make it easier to search. Thanks

bacobits

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2010, 02:55:06 PM »
I'm with Charles.

I don't think so. :wtf:

D

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »
 There has to be a time to just say NO. I'm with you. I would need [ 8] @ $75. $600 for fuses. For $600 upgrading ones power supplies would be a better choice. Just say no. Qui .

charles

Eight fuses is a lot. But for those of us who could get by with a single fuse in a stereo power amp this is a whole different decision.

Cue the Jaws music as nervosa starts to creep in....  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:08:49 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
Pay $500-1500 for power cord then use a $1 fuse?  There is certainly a market for upgrade fuses. They are an easy DIY tweak and relatively low priced compared to wires, vibration control, etc.

HiFiTuning's standard fuses have been positively reviewed many times, I believe fuse upgrade is a good value - IF the component is not a fuse eater. I just wonder whether this Supreme version is that much better than their lower priced versions.

shep

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2010, 11:48:25 PM »
no problem Rich. I suppose in the bigger sceam of things, dropping 500$ worth of fuses could be considered
good value and i am in no way knocking they results, even if some screem in rage and derision. I personally would rather do as I say and get rid of the damn things, but I realize that makes people sqeemish.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 05:27:19 AM »
I know, I can sympathize with both sides - upgrade fuse and bypass fuse. I've blown enough to know that I really need them, especially in tube gear, so the upgrade does appeal to me. I believe that a fuse does compromise performance for safety sake, which is needed from mfg pov, and most consumers too.

I think the subject line is perfect for the discussion. The fuse is the stuff and the price is the nonsense.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 05:29:40 AM by richidoo »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:09:30 AM »
There is certainly benefits to be made in the fuse realm. Think of it this way ... that little Rat Shack low quality fuse stands directly between the power source and the component. All your power needs to pass through it, so it is in the critical chain for sure.

I found that an application of Silclear to the ends of all my fuses has had a positive benefit without robbing the bank for these hi-fi fuses. Just an alternative to try out for yourself.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:02:36 AM »
no problem Rich. I suppose in the bigger sceam of things, dropping 500$ worth of fuses could be considered
good value and i am in no way knocking they results, even if some screem in rage and derision. I personally would rather do as I say and get rid of the damn things, but I realize that makes people sqeemish.

I don't think it is a matter of being squeamish. Fuses are a safety item. They are put into a circuit to protect in on the case of some kind of over current situation. If you take them out and some kind of circuit fault develops the best possible outcome is that the equipment will become damaged or destroyed. The downside would be that the fault could start a fire that damage your home and injure or kill its occupants. Sorry, but that is not a risk I am willing to take, no matter how much better it sounds.  [-(

BTW - this only applies to components that are connected to an AC power source. In the case of a speaker fuse the worst that can happen is that the drivers get ruined by pushing too much power through them. Provided that the that the power amp is properly fused there is not much risk to life or property from an unfused speaker (as can be seen by the fact that many speakers come from the factory with no fuses in the original design.)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:03 AM »
The solution to the fuse problem would be a circuit breaker that had a magnetic field sensing element. When the current exceeds design parameters the hall effect sensor would activate the circuit breaker. You have traded a fuse,which is a thermally non-linear resistor, for another set of contacts with their resistance to obsess over. It's always something, I would rather go after bigger improvements than can be had from changing the fuse out.
Scotty

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 08:10:44 AM »
The solution to the fuse problem would be a circuit breaker that had a magnetic field sensing element. When the current exceeds design parameters the hall effect sensor would activate the circuit breaker. You have traded a fuse,which is a thermally non-linear resistor, for another set of contacts with their resistance to obsess over. It's always something, I would rather go after bigger improvements than can be had from changing the fuse out.
Scotty

Scotty magnetic breakers may be a VG solution. Are there any designed for audio use in particular. Do you know if any Manfs use them. very interesting. I know alan maher suggests using them at the panel. Ok Richadoo start the search engines.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.