Author Topic: felt  (Read 10675 times)

shep

felt
« on: October 17, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
I remembered that I treated a pair of speakers with felt surrounds, both around the tweeter and the midrange. So I had some self-stick kind-of-felt and I'm giving it a try on my TL's. It's not very thick and probably not very absorbant but easy to remove. The cabinates are very slim so maybe this is totally unecissary. I only had enough for one speaker but I hear something...bad or good remains to be seem. I will get anoth sheet of the stuff tomorrow. Any body have experience with this tweak?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: felt
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »
When it was a rage on AC I tried it on my Legacy Focus speakers. I taped socks around the tweeter.

I learned that, for my speaker anyway, the reflection off the baffle is an intended part of the voicing of the speaker. Absorbing the reflections attenuated the treble too much. But the treble was a little clearer without the reflection. Since the Focus 2020 was not so focused that focusing the treble would "bring it to another level" it just made the speaker dull.

I think the ideal way to treat this HF reflection problem is to surround the tweeter with spherical enclosure, or narrow baffle, or angled corners, and other various ways to minimize reflection and diffraction with geometry.  But even a big flat baffle speaker like AudioNote or Harbeth has nice treble due to the XO voicing. So I don't know why some report such a big improvement with felt, unless they prefer a little attenuation. In that case, felt might be a little better than a resistor because it controls the reflection while it attenuates. Wilson uses felt around tweeters.

If there is a padding resistor on your tweeter shep you might want to reduce the value of that slightly to bring the treble level back up after the felt is added.

shep

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »
Thanks. If the attenuation is too much, I'll just remove the felt. The crossover is too delicate to take out. It's a mass held together with hope and not much else since I had to butcher it to change the caps. Just a little experiment for the hell of it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 01:26:12 PM »
Have fun!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 10:48:21 AM »
Felt can be very affective in taming a tweeters difussion. I believe Jim Gouldring sells these felt surrounds. I have Forgotten his website. From what I have heard they work very well.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 03:02:04 PM »
This it? http://www.diffractionbegone.com/

$59 for a shipped pair, ouch!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 07:57:10 AM »
This it? http://www.diffractionbegone.com/

$59 for a shipped pair, ouch!

Thanks Face.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 08:17:44 AM »
Now you know why I used socks!  :rofl:

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
I got some cheap felt from a fabric store (aka - my wife's fabric stash) and cut a piece off to try around my tweeters. It did diffuse the highs ... to the point of everything sounding dull and lifeless and extremely rolled off. But it was a good experiment because I figured out the following.

- there is more effect the closer the felt is to the edge of the tweeter dome itself (I have a Scanspeak 9300 soft dome).
- a little dab of felt to the screwheads on the tweeter faceplate made a very big and noticeable difference
- placing the felt just outside from the edge of the tweeter faceplate made a little difference, but screwed up my imaging and soundstaging.

My speakers are MTM's, so in a TM or TMM design you may experience something different from what I found out. In my case the felt didn't work very well and interfeared with what an MTM is supposed to do (i.e. focus all 3 drivers to sound like a point source).

Experiment cheaply before you put down any real cash.

Enjoy,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

shep

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:47:37 AM »
I can't say it did anything bad so I leave it on for the moment. I may try the idea with the screw heads later.
Thanks for the feedback. If anyone has tried to cut thick felt accurately, it's a bitch, which is why I opted for the thin, self-stick variety, whch isn't real felt anyway but some synthetic stuff, much denser than the real thing.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 11:12:05 AM »
Nice tip on the screwheads Bob.  :thumb: Any small protrusion or hole will screw up the highest frequencies which treat a tiny hole like a cabinet edge.  Thanks for that one!

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 12:42:28 PM »
Nice tip on the screwheads Bob.  :thumb: Any small protrusion or hole will screw up the highest frequencies which treat a tiny hole like a cabinet edge.  Thanks for that one!

I knew there was a reason we kept Bob around.  :thumb:

My only concern is that if you are dealing with a design from a true high end company, many hours were spent voicing and tweaking the design, so any discontinuities in the front surface were in the prototype and their effect we taken into account during the actual listening evaluations and any modifications that came out of those sessions.  :-k

That said, it doesn't mean that the sound can't or won't be improved by the mod, but there is a chance that the effect of the screws was compensated for in some other way and damping out that effect could have a negative impact on the overall sound. I would  (and probably will) try it, but recommend that however you put the felt on, make sure that it can come off easily if you don't like what you hear (no crazy glue.  :( )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »
I would  (and probably will) try it, but recommend that however you put the felt on, make sure that it can come off easily if you don't like what you hear (no crazy glue.  :( )

Audiophile Math:

Any glue + Tom (tmazz) = Crazy Glue   :rofl:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline rajacat

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
I made these defraction devices with 3/8" wool felt ordered from http://www.mcmaster.com/#f13-felt/=9g3m02

I used an utility knife with a new blade in place. It wasn't particularly easy to cut the bevel for the "waveguides" :roll:. Nevertheless, despite not being exactly perfect, the imperfections are not obviously visible. You can get this felt with a self adhesive which may or may not be hard to remove. A way around this is to use blue tape on the speaker baffle and then cut out a bit of the  self adhesive cover  to stick the felt to the blue tape thereby avoiding a potentially messy cleanup job. I regret that I didn't use this solution instead of ordering the felt W/o the self adhesive and having to hassle with Velcro and other stuff to mixed results.  :( Since my Omega Hemp Bipoles have a relatively large baffle the felt probably has a more profound impact than with many other speakers.

I did notice an approval in SQ with better imaging being the most obvious benefit. :thumb:

-Roy

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 01:38:38 PM »
In most situations, felt will have a negative impact on a speaker that was not voiced with felt in mind, or a least a noticable change in output which means an improper integration of drivers. Speakers you see with felt applied as a standard are designed this way from the beginning.

In regard to the screws, you can get the same result by simply applying a small piece of tape over the screw heads or any other device hanging out around the tweeter. This is why tweeters and the screws that hold them in place should be counter-sunk. Same applies for midrange drivers depending on where their x-over region is.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com