Author Topic: Weird caps  (Read 4648 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Weird caps
« on: March 04, 2010, 10:33:22 AM »
Three caps in the PS of my Netgear ReadyNas NV failed. Stinky goo from the pressure creases at top of the cans. 3 caps all went at the same time, all the same part. I cannot find replacement part because it is an odd size. Sometimes called cigarette caps with small footprint, stretched tall to save space. The brand of the stock parts is chinese. Probably designed for size, not ripple. There are coils all over the place so it's a smps.

2200uF, 10V, 105C, 8mm x 25mm, aluminum leaded can

I have tried digikey (panasonic) and mouser (nichicon, xicon) with no luck. There really isn't room for a 10mm caps. Any assistance in finding replacement parts for these is greatly appreciated.

I can buy a whole new PS for $120, but I'd like to fix it if possible. Not surprising at that price that the PS uses junkola parts.
Thanks!
Rich

Offline richidoo

Re: Weird caps
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:34:35 AM »
The brand of failed caps is Fuhjyyu

From Urban Dictionary: Fuhjyyu

Interesting story about these junk Chinese caps:
http://spectrum.ieee.org/computing/hardware/leaking-capacitors-muck-up-motherboards

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 02:18:03 PM »
I ordered a replacement power supply. Hopefully it will have better caps in it now.

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »
For kicks I tried looking at Allied and Mouser... no dice there either - not that it would matter since you already picked up a PSU but...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:50:03 AM »
  Found the same with the Consonance Cyber 211. Power supply caps are rubbish except for one Rubycon and two Rel Caps for coulping.  [ if it is a real rubycon ? ] All gone now. A big concern with the Chinese products is part quality. generic parts.   :thumb:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:44:04 AM »
A big concern with the Chinese products is part quality. generic parts.   :thumb:

charles

A few weeks ago, I was speaking with a General Electric engineer about large AC motors. He commented that GE does very little manufacturing in China since their material quality controls are horrible. He said their manufacturing quality is pretty good but that there is a tremendous amount of sub-par materials in China as well as counterfeit materials. The main issue is material quality control.
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS