Author Topic: Hovland in the house: Need tube advice  (Read 8194 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Hovland in the house: Need tube advice
« on: April 16, 2011, 08:00:03 AM »
I just bought a Hovland HP 100 it uses 2 12ax7's which I am unfamiliar with. I never had any gear with them. Any advice on tubes?
Currently running Tele's which are nice, a little soft and laid back for me, the stock Sovtek 12at7lp's are good, a bit more punch which is nice, but also less refined than the Tele's.
Any advice on what tubes to try?
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Hovland in the house: Need tube advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 08:48:20 AM »
If you want something a bit more forward, you can try RCA Cleartops.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 10:15:13 AM »
I've stopped tube rolling once I got Mullards in both my pre and phono-pre. Heck, I have Teles for both, haven't even tried them yet.

The Mullards get described as "attractive sweet warmth in their midrange and lower regions. The top end is silky and pleasant, without being rolled-off. The best of these tubes retain a fine sense of "air" at the top, and the upper midrange is smooth and liquid. These tubes reproduce the human voice, especially female voices, with haunting realism."

That may be a little over the top, but not by much. I love listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Joni Mitchell now.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 10:53:09 AM by etcarroll »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 10:33:23 AM »
I just bought a Hovland HP 100 it uses 2 12ax7's which I am unfamiliar with. I never had any gear with them. Any advice on tubes?
Currently running Tele's which are nice, a little soft and laid back for me, the stock Sovtek 12at7lp's are good, a bit more punch which is nice, but also less refined than the Tele's.

How about you leave it the %$^#*! alone for a while. Get used to it first. Leave the sovteks and later try a Tele or Mullard 12AT7 with the Sovteks.. I have one you can have a go with and keep if you like. For now you Nervosa sticken can't sit still man that you are  :rofl: give it some time. :duh

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »

For now you Nervosa sticken can't sit still man .......

Doesn't make him a bad person.  :lol: (he as a lot of company in this crowd  :rofl:)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 01:28:57 PM »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 02:17:11 PM »
I am used to it, actually rolled two preamps in as well, the Hovland has a certain charm, a certain naturalness that I have not heard with other gear I have tried.
Nervosa? Nah, I needed a preamp because I had none, I sold mine to buy a Micro Seiki turntable, (best purchase to date)!

If you can't hear the difference between tubes within a day, then you should switch hobbies :rofl:
When the right combo comes you know it, you don't wait for it to come on its own, you have to make it happen, eventually you will find the right combo.

Ok off to find some Mullards..................

thanks guys
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 02:46:03 PM »
Screw the tubes and just throw in an Oil Choke

evan1

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
he had nothing to do with my decision to buy it :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »
And don't forget tube dampers.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
Hey,
those Mullards are expensive :duh

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »
Tell me about it.  :(

In next few days I'll be rolling out the Mullards in my phono pre for some smooth teles, can't make the switch till I finish WyWires audition.

When I do make the switch I have a pair of early sixties Mullards from the Blackburn plant I can lend you, if interested.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
would love to try them

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 07:59:29 AM »
Hey,
those Mullards are expensive :duh

Yup, caps and chokes may be the ticket, oh my. I have some RCA cleartops from vintafe Tube Service if you would like to try them. Kidding aside good find Mike. The hovland has a warm character, correct ? If so teles, RCAs or Siemens may liven it up for ya. Enjoy the journey.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.