Author Topic: I created a monster!  (Read 2646 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
I created a monster!
« on: March 27, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
My son's setup(s) in the basement
Less is not more....for him
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

musicfile

Re: I created a monster!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree  :thumb:

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:18:41 PM »
Does he ever crank it up when the cat is in the middle of making a dookie?

Nice Hafler Pre. Mine's paired with a Sansui amp.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 07:10:02 PM »
The Hafler pre was given to him last year from a friend. It was a magical piece, it had a early mod in it, it was so sweet and tube like, such delicious midrange, it suprised many an audiophile who came, including myself! Unfortunatley I got suckered into a ebay mod for this pre. The mod replaced the elctrolytics with newer types, and removed the original tantalum caps with new film caps. There are some improvements for sure but what I lost was the sweetness, now it sounds like a SS pre, which it is, but before it did not.
Unfortunately the original mod was ripped out as well. I have another unmodded original Hafler that is good, but not as good as the orginal mod from the 80's(I guess) which I no longer have the parts to replace.
Moral of the story: When it sounds good don't mess with it.
A moral I almost always ignore :duh, but am coming around(thank God)

He doesn't play it TOO loud actually. The ADS 810's are simply marvelous speakers many an audiophile would be suprised. The Boston Acoustics I actually had in main system for a while when my tweeters were blown in my speakers. The Boston a 70's really sounded pretty good with quality signal.
The GR Research speakers just plain suck for music, but are pretty efficient and work well for TV.

and the cats(3) pretty much keep clear of the audio insanity, unlike my friends cat who likes to chew on his cables!~
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:56:46 PM »
Well I'm glad he's enjoying his Boycave.

My kids are not into music. Boys play video games and internet. My daughter, don't ask. And they complain that I play my music too loud.

I remember when I bought the Hafler many years ago (to go with an SAE amp), there were Mods available for it. But I never pulled the trigger. I did buy the wood case for it though. Oh and my wife's Guinea Pig chewed thru the power cord on The SAE.