Author Topic: ARTICHOKES.....  (Read 9803 times)

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
Re: ARTICHOKES.....
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

Thanks Mike for having us over, it was a fun day. We heard a lot of combinations yesterday my mind went into audio overload. Worked the night before only had 2 hours sleep and lots of wine ,so my listening skills weren't sharp.
  Mike's system sounded delicious. When we got there he put some vinyl on, it sounded wonderful. Nice turntable :thumb: The table with Mike.F Audionote and the Melos amp had the best tone, very listenable with great flow.
 When we started listening to all the other Pre's, for some reason we changed the amp and went digital  and lost some magic.
 We changed a lot of chokes in my pre and all sounded a little different. Mike's 10h oil choke sounded the best. Carl hooked up banana clips so I could try some different choke at home. I'll have some fun.

All in all we had a good time!
Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »
Who is Karl, the one with no hair, or the one doing the soldering on the floor?

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 05:28:35 PM »
Chinese guy doing the soldering is Karl
guy with no hair is Mike F(Fox) owner of the AN preamp
Silver fox is Peter.
thinning hair is me!
youngest member is my son Andrew, who now wants a choke for his Hafler preamp!

System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 05:33:12 PM »
Thanks!  Nice pics Evan. But next time take a picture of the mirror so we can see how your hair style is evolving.

Offline Salvo

• Seeking Help
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 06:31:42 PM »
Hard to believe a year already passed since my last visit at the huge rave over Mike place last March!

When this weather breaks, I'm gassin up and heading back over with my 6SN7 Dude preamp and updated NOS 1865 Dac for another try.

Maybe I could use an oil choke in my preamp (and then choke myself before returning home!)  :roll: :roll:
CEC TL3N> Vu Jade' DHT DAC> TRL Preamp> NuForce Ref9 V2SE> Intuitive Design Summits> Mad Scientist Heretical+ Digital cable & tweaks> Western Electric 14ga. solid core speaker wire.

evan1

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 12:40:55 AM »
Hard to believe a year already passed since my last visit at the huge rave over Mike place last March!

When this weather breaks, I'm gassin up and heading back over with my 6SN7 Dude preamp and updated NOS 1865 Dac for another try.

Maybe I could use an oil choke in my preamp (and then choke myself before returning home!)  :roll: :roll:

+1 for a return of the TRL Dude

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 08:12:45 AM »
  Sounds like all had a good time and an enlightening experience. So where do these chokes get installed in the power supply circuit ? Do they replace anything or just get added ?
  Surprised to hear the Beacon 2 didn't please. Just curious did you try the flipping the filament power supply plug ? It makes a huge difference. It really should be marked.

charles
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 10:39:41 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
  Sounds like all had a good time and an enlightening experience. So where do these chokes get installed in the circuit ? Do they replace anything or just get added ?
  Surprised to hear the Beacon 2 didn't please. Just curious did you try the flipping the filament power supply plug ? It makes a huge difference. It really should be marked.

charles

Synergry, synergy, synergy.........
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
  Sounds like all had a good time and an enlightening experience. So where do these chokes get installed in the power supply circuit ? Do they replace anything or just get added ?

charles

If I remember correctly it was just 2 wires from the transformer. less than a minute 2 do

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 05:21:15 PM »
Rollo, Carl just took off the 2 wires from my original choke in the pre and replaced it with the oil choke. The chokes are in the power supply section.
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline mikef

• Seeking Help
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 05:32:20 PM »
Who is Karl, the one with no hair, or the one doing the soldering on the floor?

The politically correct term is "follicularly challenged." Alternately, you can call me the good looking guy with no hair. :lol:

Mike Fox

Offline richidoo

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:17 PM »
So where do these chokes get installed in the power supply circuit ? Do they replace anything or just get added ?

Usually added to PS in series after rectifier. It smooths the DC through magnetic hysteresis. People seem to love the "sound" of magnetics in audio. Storage caps are still needed, but the choke makes a smoother DC.

The politically correct term is "follicularly challenged." Alternately, you can call me the good looking guy with no hair. :lol:

Mike Fox

You got it Mike!  I am always Mr footinmouth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 06:05:11 PM by richidoo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »
   Thanks guys. Now if ya want real Artichokes "I" talian style you gotta come on over.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 08:56:53 AM »
   Thanks guys. Now if ya want real Artichokes "I" talian style you gotta come on over.

charles

Count me in.   :drool:

Isn't is amazing how us "I"talians can turn just about anything into a discussion about food?  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables